New old drums for me - Ludwig this time

snaredog

Reaction score
6 ply B/O 24", 14", 16", 18". The seller didn't have the legs for the 16", so that one didn't get set up today.

There's just something about Ludwig+Paiste

6 ply B/O 24", 14", 16", 18". The seller didn't have the legs for the 16", so that one didn't get set up today.

There's just something about Ludwig+Paiste

Reverb.com has a good price on new classic 23" Ludwig legs but you need to purchase them individually. Best deal I've found online. I don't remember the specific store off hand though.

Myk

Reaction score
Nice set !, that must sound awesome

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I only had enough time yesterday to tighten (not tune) the heads, and set up the kit. But there is definitely potential for some great sounds once I get some new heads on it. Ps4 on toms, and a ported Ebony front head just isn't my thing. I'm thinking either Coated Emperors or Aquarian Texture Coated for the tom batters, and an Ambassador or TC front would be nice.

Vibes

Reaction score
wow, those look solid as a rock ! And I'm sure they do. Those 6 ply maple Ludwig's from that era are really nice and great sounding drums. Heavy duty. I have some in Silver Sparkle I special ordered. I had lost a few main drums from my set in a club fire and ordered the ones destroyed. I had no clue they had gone to 6 ply maple. This was 1981 . Mine sound great even though they have the dreaded rivets. Mine still look nice. These things are solid. Always thought they sound great.

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice set! I also recently acquired a giant set of 6-ply Ludwigs and am loving them. The 24's sound phenominal and that 18" will shake the fillings out of your teeth.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks
I'm totally digging the look and sizes of this kit. And I am sure the sound will follow with a new set of tom batters (today I'm considering clear Remo blackdots).
Also, a 6.5" B/O Super Sensitive has just popped up on my local classifieds for a more than reasonable price. But I just bought a drum kit, and a snare, and I'm looking at a significant rent increase starting next month. So the prudent thing would be to pass on that one.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks
I'm totally digging the look and sizes of this kit. And I am sure the sound will follow with a new set of tom batters (today I'm considering clear Remo blackdots).
Also, a 6.5" B/O Super Sensitive has just popped up on my local classifieds for a more than reasonable price. But I just bought a drum kit, and a snare, and I'm looking at a significant rent increase starting next month. So the prudent thing would be to pass on that one.
Wow. Sweet. Those look great. PS4 on bass, right? You like the 4 more than the 3?

Why are you changing from the black dots?

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. Sweet. Those look great. PS4 on bass, right? You like the 4 more than the 3?

Why are you changing from the black dots?
Right now all the batters are PS4.
It's an OK bass batter head, though I prefer a PS3, or an Ambassador/Aquarian TC with a felt strip or Simon Phillips' towel trick. On toms it doesn't work for me at all - the attack is sort of muted, but I still get all sorts of overtones from the reso head.
I am considering changing to blackdots just to try something different than my go-to heads - Coated Emps/ Ambs, or TC's.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now all the batters are PS4.
It's an OK bass batter head, though I prefer a PS3, or an Ambassador/Aquarian TC with a felt strip or Simon Phillips' towel trick. On toms it doesn't work for me at all - the attack is sort of muted, but I still get all sorts of overtones from the reso head.
I am considering changing to blackdots just to try something different than my go-to heads - Coated Emps/ Ambs, or TC's.
Cool. Yeah, PS4's on toms sounds... Dead?

Let us know if you go with black dots! I'm interested in trying some!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool. Yeah, PS4's on toms sounds... Dead?

Let us know if you go with black dots! I'm interested in trying some!
With clear Ambassador resos, not exactly dead. I'd say unbalanced - muted attack, weak fundamental, but lots of overtones. They might be cool for super low tunings, which is what the previous owner was running. But with my medium-high tuning they just sound wrong.
I'll let you know about the blackdots. Those are what I'm fancying the most right now. They're something different; I have one in store for my 15" Slingerland snare; and I think they can get me that really wet, but still resonant sound.

Myk

Reaction score
I guess that finish is thermo gloss? Is that a wrap or natural maple?
Very nice looking kit