New old Guy reappears

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hello, DFO. I used to post on a daily basis but Facebook came along and I joined a few drum and music related groups and I wanted to come back to DFO where it all began for me.

I remember posting an audio file and there were a few not so kind comments (probably deserved since I was reentering the music biz after a long absence).

I have been freelancing quite a bit and playing some jazz. I love to take lessons and I have tried many teachers. Found a teacher within eight minutes of my house.

My theory is that studying with a good teacher is well worth it as long as you are learning new things. You don't have to stop learning.

Wanted to thank you all for being supportive when I was totally lost without much direction. I listened to much of your advice and learned from it.

Now, at age 69 I have to think about where I may be if I am around in 11 years. There must be some drummers still active at age 80, I hope I can be one of them.

I am sure we have lost some people from DFO and I am sorry I was not active for so long. Guess I was busy trying to make the scene again. Lots of hits and misses along the way.

The scene is different than the 80's when I was most active, venues are gone, bars don't want to pay, open mic's replacing paid gigs.

I hope to become active here again.

2014-03-10 22.36.29.jpg

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those Rogers beauties need to be played. There are plenty of opportunities out there to play. All you have to do is want to. If you can't find any paying gigs, consider starting a band and donating your time and talent to entertain folks in nursing homes and retirement communities who can no longer get out to hear live music. Take it from me, you'll never find a more appreciative audience. It doesn't matter what kind of music you play or how good you are. You can do no wrong. They'll love it. And it will make you feel good giving back to the community. An added bonus is that these are only one hour to one and a half hour concerts and at 69 you should appreciate that. Do you really want to play 4 hour gigs anymore? Give it some thought. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you all the info you need to get started. Good luck in whatever you decide to do to get back into playing again.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
:shock: LORENZO MUSIC!!!
I remember you!!
Welcome back old friend.
I don't remember the video you posted before, but please, post a new one.
It would be great to hear you playing on those blue Rogers pictured in your post.

Elvis

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Welcome back!
Do not let the trolls run you off this time. There are still people here who exist to create controversy. They think it's their duty. The rest of us want to hear about your gigs, your drums, your up-graditis, and your stories. Post often!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Good to see ya back Larry! I don't have time to post much either. But I still check in here daily. Always feels like home.

Mike

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
There isn't much to post but I have been taking jazz gigs. Recently I played drums and tambourine (there were about five drummers) for a benefit concert with 41 musicians of all George Harrison music. Probably the best thing I ever participated in. I love jazz and "All Things Must Pass" is my favorite solo album of any of the Beatles. Everything wasn't perfect, mistakes were made, it was just a great cause and the man who sustained a serious injury made an appearance and was appreciative of the effort for an all Harrison day. I think George Harrison is his favorite musician.

Latest posts