header.nohb.html

NEW Paiste Flat Rides are out!

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my. A Traditional 22” flat…. That just may have to happen.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love the jazz trio demos. I had more time to listen to the three 22” and I think I would go with the Masters first. The sample with the cymbal solo made me swoon.

Tdipaul

Reaction score
They do sound nice!
Great additions for the Paiste fanatics looking for new sounds
a 22" is probably $605 (or more now)
a just as nice/maybe nicer Bos flat is $400-440
the difference is not chump change

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man...they all sound great! I think my favorite is the Masters offerings.
Flats are funy in how little actual cymbal sound they produce (the wood click coming from the stick on a hard surface, basically) What is there underneath or in the crash can vary quite a bit though. Would love to try them in person.

Reactions: egw

almamadre

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flats are funy in how little actual cymbal sound they produce (the wood click coming from the stick on a hard surface, basically) What is there underneath or in the crash can vary quite a bit though. Would love to try them in person.
One thing I've noticed is that to my ears, they are most cool/effective at a very fast tempo - in terms of the standard jazz ride pattern. It doesn't "get away from you" at that tempo/intensity like a regular cymbal can. My problem is that I'm not a jazz player, and certainly can't play at breakneck jazz speed. But I think that is where they really shine.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed is that to my ears, they are most cool/effective at a very fast tempo - in terms of the standard jazz ride pattern. It doesn't "get away from you" at that tempo/intensity like a regular cymbal can. My problem is that I'm not a jazz player, and certainly can't play at breakneck jazz speed. But I think that is where they really shine.
If you hear a longer sustain to connect slower beats, rivets might help.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
no question the 18" classic 602 thin flat ride for me; I'll wait for a used one
(what they are "calling" a Thin.. Unmarked one I had was 1757g....

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a 2006 Robert Paiste interview: "The Flat Ride is the first and the last cymbal that more or less came out of a gag. That was with Joe Morello, he visited here once and at that time there were these new super thin Swiss watches, he was fascinated with his new super thin watch that he had just got.
He said, "why don't you make a cymbal like that?" I wondered, what does a cymbal without a bell sound like? Well, we were making gongs, but I didn't relate to that, we built prototypes, which surprised us very much with the sound."