New Pearl Session Studio Select kits

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I went to the Pearl website to look up some info on the Session Studio Classic series, and see that it's been replaced with Session Studio "Select". New colors, and some wrapped finishes, thinner shells, and birch/mahogany instead of birch/kapur. I'm wondering how the mahogany will sound, compared to Kapur, because I really like the sound of the Studio Classic kapur shells. Also, I went "googling" and did find anything about this new kit. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this shell pack for sale yet?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think they were just introduced at last week's NAMM convention. There are several YT videos from NAMM showing the new finishes and discussing the changes from the former Session Studio Classic series.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the kapur and mahogany are pretty close in sound. Both are open grained, the mahogany may be a bit lower pitched.
I like the new badges but you lose the Sequoia Red finish, one of my all-time faves.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're gonna buy a Peal drumset, buy all the potential drum sizes you might need at once. :)
A couple of years down the line Pearl will have changed their entire range again.

How many versions of the Pearl "Session series" are we at now?
Mick

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Doesn't every manuf change their prod lines up every few years?

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
MustangMick said:
If you're gonna buy a Peal drumset, buy all the potential drum sizes you might need at once. :icon_smile:
A couple of years down the line Pearl will have changed their entire range again.

Mick
Good point.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah there has been a 100% maple Session. The Luan/Birch shelled session which is the more common one and the shell they used in the 80's into the 90's as the Prestige Session. I had that kit in my parents garage and it sounded better than my DW's... my Yamaha RC's etc.... but that was partly for that room's dynamics I think.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rockitboy1 said:
they are not in stores yet. I really wanna know what the street price is
Right around the same as the Yamaha Tour Custom... $1250-$1350 for a 4 piece but with Pearl they are starting only for limited time they will make it a 5 piece for the same price which is generous IMO because they are nothing short of pro quality.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
hector48 said:
Doesn't every manuf change their prod lines up every few years?
DW seems to hold the most consistency. Since theyre a custom shop, you can likely order a finish from 10 years ago. Theyre not constantly changing badges and the overall look.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my modern collector dreams that I often search for but never buy is an original Session Select with the Sunburst finish. To me that's the series to have... original Maple Mahogany..

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my modern collector dreams that I often search for but never buy is an original Session Select with the Sunburst finish. To me that's the series to have... original Maple Mahogany..
I still miss my original Pearl Prestige Session Select kit (Maple\Mahogany). Those are some severely underrated drums!

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Pearl DLX that was Birch/Mahogany, and they had a really rich sound, I miss them, lol.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're gonna buy a Peal drumset, buy all the potential drum sizes you might need at once. :)

Mick
Things change over fairly quickly at that price point. The Sessions series has been around in one form or another for 30 years or so.

This kit seems like a slam dunk. Back when Carl Peterson was the Masterworks guru at Pearl, he used to recommend the Birch/Mahogany combination. He thought those woods really complimented other. He wasn't crazy about the Maple/Mahogany combination, so I thought it was ironic when Pearl came out with the Reference series with most sizes in maple/mahogany.

Latest posts