New Pearl snare with John Bonham, Neil Peart, Ringo, etc.........

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Interesting. My immediate reaction was that I didn’t like it at all - seemed a little tacky. However, after watching, it’s a nice tribute, and I really dig that it’s his original artwork on the drum. Great appreciation and love of the music.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1. Stew looks more like Rick Springfield.
2. How are they able to get away with using these drummers' likenesses legally?

Dan

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same, what a about the legal terms, any of them werent endorsed from Pearl.
As long as nobody's trying to commercially sell a drum with those likenesses on it there should be no problem. But any commercial use of the likenesses would probably trigger immediate cease-and-desist orders from attorneys. If you make no effort to protect your likeness you can legally lose control of it.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to clear as long as it's only for his personal use. I don't need your permission to paint your picture on my snare drum; I do need your permission to sell snare drums with your picture on them.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From what I can gather this is just a one-off drum - so not for sale - but it is being used in a way to promote the "Pearl" brand. Do you think that could be a blurry legal line requiring some type of legal clearance?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to clear as long as it's only for his personal use. I don't need your permission to paint your picture on my snare drum; I do need your permission to sell snare drums with your picture on them.

"The four Limited Edition replica drums will feature the exact artwork of the original and be available via charity auction. Check back with pearldrum.com for details as they develop. "

Charity auction--beyond personal use---but maybe ok-- for Charity Auction

Detail here->

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure they are just 75th Anniv shells painted by him after the fact, not anything Pearl is producing. Just faces is weird, but will go to charity so nice, and he paints well, too.

Last edited:

Neilrush88

Reaction score
"The four Limited Edition replica drums will feature the exact artwork of the original and be available via charity auction. Check back with pearldrum.com for details as they develop. "

Charity auction--beyond personal use---but maybe ok-- for Charity Auction

Detail here->

aaa, so that changes the game, maybe Pearl asked the artist or relatives and explained the idea and for charity. If it is business, someone could want percent-royalties.

Neilrush88

Reaction score
What do you mean? It's a drum with faces painted on the shell. Why would someone sue for that?
Business is business, they used name's drummers in the video and their faces, Some of them or relatives could require royalties, but we now know that is for charity...so not too serious, maybe Pearl explained the idea and its ok.