New Product That Monitors Your Tempo

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
I wanted to let everyone know that I have developed a new tempo meter called the RokTempo.

Several Forums members have been so gracious as to be beta testers for me which resulted in a product that I think will benefit anyone wanting to monitor their tempo.

More details about how it works and how to purchase it can be found at https://roktempo.com

Attachments

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
Here are the differences from the Temp Ref
1. The RokTemp is very sensitive, it can be adjusted to detect light brush or stick strokes. See Demo Here
2. Setting to allow to average of BPM. This helps to smooth out the BPM readings.
3. Setting for multiplying BPM x2, x3 etc
4. Display Brightness control.
5. Display the Battery level.
6. Able to use the DrumClip Accessory Adapter, this eliminates the need to put velcro on your drum and allows you to easily attach to a drum that is not yours (Jam session or shared Drum Kit). The Accessory Adapter does reduce the sensitive somewhat, so very light brush strokes might not get detected.

Reactions: dtk

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought it said "Temper" ... I was getting concerned it might be the next Father's Day gift dilemma.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I did some testing for Rick on this and really really liked it. I had used the Tempo Ref for years and the big drawback of it was that I had to hit harder or hit closer to the edge to get consistent triggering. The RokTemp as Rick said is very sensitive and works great with brushes. Good luck with the product Rick! Glad you got it out on the market.

Reactions: dtk

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was also a fan of the Tempo Ref for many years. The RokTempo is a big improvement in every way. It is MUCH more sensitive and works great with brushes, rods, blasticks, etc. I haven't needed one yet but - the replacement batteries are also cheaper and easier to find online. If you're looking for a new tempo monitoring device, this is it.

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
I did some testing for Rick on this and really really liked it. I had used the Tempo Ref for years and the big drawback of it was that I had to hit harder or hit closer to the edge to get consistent triggering. The RokTemp as Rick said is very sensitive and works great with brushes. Good luck with the product Rick! Glad you got it out on the market.
Thanks so much Chris and for being my first beta tester!

BTW, I sent one along with a DrumClip to Mark Beckett who shares the House Drummer duties with Eddie Bayers at the Grand Ole Opry. Mark told me he will be keeping it on the the kit at the Opry.

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
I was also a fan of the Tempo Ref for many years. The RokTempo is a big improvement in every way. It is MUCH more sensitive and works great with brushes, rods, blasticks, etc. I haven't needed one yet but - the replacement batteries are also cheaper and easier to find online. If you're looking for a new tempo monitoring device, this is it.
Thanks Jordan.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new product! How does this differ from the live BPM app?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is the tempo affected when one switches, for instance, to a tom pattern and away from the snare drum? Does the RokTempo "hear" bass drums or cymbals? Does it use those non-snare sounds to establish tempo, as well? What about interference from other instruments on stage, such as snapping and popping from the bass guitar, or percussive piano presets?

GeeDeeEmm

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new product! How does this differ from the live BPM app?
Thanks for the congrats!

If differs by only detecting beats from the snare (assuming that's what you have it attached to), where as liveBPM is doing a beat detect from the audio and I have had users complain about liveBPM getting confused depending on situation.

When I have used liveBPM it will sometimes switch back and forth between the actual BPM and half of the BPM. The RT doesn't have this problem.

Rick

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
Is the tempo affected when one switches, for instance, to a tom pattern and away from the snare drum? Does the RokTempo "hear" bass drums or cymbals? Does it use those non-snare sounds to establish tempo, as well? What about interference from other instruments on stage, such as snapping and popping from the bass guitar, or percussive piano presets?

GeeDeeEmm
With the correct threshold setting the RokTempo only hears the drum it is mounted do. No other sounds or instruments will trigger it. The only exception to this would be if you set the threshold to it's most sensitive setting where it would pick up brush strokes and then you switch to a heaving hitting song using sticks, it might pick up the kick and the closest tom. Using the DrumClip Accessory Adaptor pretty much eliminates this situation, with the adaptor you mount the RT to the rim instead of the drum head.

Rick

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats!

If differs by only detecting beats from the snare (assuming that's what you have it attached to), where as liveBPM is doing a beat detect from the audio and I have had users complain about liveBPM getting confused depending on situation.

When I have used liveBPM it will sometimes switch back and forth between the actual BPM and half of the BPM. The RT doesn't have this problem.

Rick
Thank you for your fast response to my question and it makes perfect sense. This really looks like a tool that would help me tremendously with my drumming.

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
Sure, glad I could help. Also thanks for replying to my match stain post over at the Builder Workshop section.

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been a long time user of the now discontinued Tempo Ref. When I heard about the Rok Tempo, I ordered one and was very pleased, so I ordered a 2d one for back up. I have a suggestion- please shorten the function knob 'tower.' I believe it could be substantially flattened down so that it was more of a dial, with the same push-down functionality. Otherwise, a very good product, and I like the idea of using the drum clip accessory holder to avoid velcro on the snare head.

Latest posts