New project found: Sonor Phonic

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Found this early Phonic shellset (13/14/16/22) with the old tom mounts yesterday and could get it for a reasonable price.
I will pick it up tomorrow.

I hope the finish - whose colour I don`t like at all - will be in a shape I won`t regret to strip off and put on some real nice veneer, maybe
makassar or something like that. I like the idea of making my own signature-on-a-budget. We´ll see...

Attachments

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice black label Phonics. That color is part of the hideously awful Fall color selection which also featured burt orange. The wrap is glued on their pretty well.

Looks like KE. Metallic Ruby

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Very nice black label Phonics. That color is part of the hideously awful Fall color selection which also featured burt orange. The wrap is glued on their pretty well.

Looks like KE. Metallic Ruby

Yeah, "metallic ruby"! Picked them up today and the finish looks even more bizarre by daylight. The colour changes from the dark red pictured above to a bright somewhat pink depending on viewing angle.

Nevertheless the wrap seems to be in a decent condition so I will give it a proper cleaning and decide further steps.

What might be the weapon of choice to remove the wrap? Moderate heat and a scraper?

toddbishop

Reaction score
Nice, please post updates-- I have a black wrapped Phonic set I'd like to change to a natural finish.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, "metallic ruby"! Picked them up today and the finish looks even more bizarre by daylight. The colour changes from the dark red pictured above to a bright somewhat pink depending on viewing angle.

Nevertheless the wrap seems to be in a decent condition so I will give it a proper cleaning and decide further steps.

What might be the weapon of choice to remove the wrap? Moderate heat and a scraper?
I have never removed the wrap myself, so I can't offer much info.

Bet other fine members here have good advice on removal.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Cleaning is in progress, pictures will follow. Maybe time for gathering some ideas. My favourite at this moment would be zebrano veneer with black powder coated or copper-plated hardware. What do you think?

Latest posts