New purchase. Is this worth mentioning?

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
New cymbal day for me (yeah!!!!)

Used cymbal purchased on eBay.

Ad read “no chips or cracks”

When it arrived, there is some edge “flea bites” and this very small chip on the mount hole.

0BD10AE0-21AE-437C-9070-31F5A085E16A.jpeg

Should I mention this to the seller? Haven’t yet…

Does not seem to go through. Would you want this mentioned if you were the buyer? A nonissue?

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
On the one hand.....not disclosed. On the other a nice usable cymbal.
Use it, love it and have fun!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
couldn't you see this in the auction or in the for sale Pictures
while you were contemplating purchase

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
couldn't you see this in the auction or in the for sale Pictures
while you were contemplating purchase

There is no close up of the mount hole in the ad. I sure didn’t notice, but now in retrospect, one picture can be blow up to show the chip. I think I can see it now because I am looking specifically for it.

Reactions: JDA

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
If you like the way that it sounds, I would probably just go with it. Just my opinion.

Mike

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How big are the flea bites on the edges? That little nick in the mounting hole would be of zero concern from me.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
How big are the flea bites on the edges? That little nick in the mounting hole would be of zero concern from me.

Small area of about 2” and another about 1” with what I would call flea bites. No cracks and no worry of a crack developing. Can be felt easily, seen with inspection, and photographed with difficulty.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d let them know. If ur not worried about future issues, and like the cymbal, play it well and often, but not everyone may feel the same and you might save the guy a headache in the future by saying, “hey pal, you really need to be transparent about anything that’s not perfect”. Just my opinion…

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
You should mention it to the seller. They just might suggest some compensation. If that's a "mint" $300+ cymbal those marks are significant.
For a vintage 60's at $100-$150 in good condition not much of an issue.

No chips or cracks.........does leave room for "flea bites"......which is something I would find annoying....almost deceptive. All they apparently told you was that the cymbal has no 'severe' damage.
Any listing should mention and/or photo the cymbal's most significant flaw or flaws....even if minor. It gives the buyer a better idea of where it ranks.

DJSNJ

Reaction score

When it arrived, there is some edge “flea bites” and this very small chip on the mount hole.

View attachment 567935 .

Does not seem to go through. Would you want this mentioned if you were the buyer? A nonissue?
It's not worth returning the cymbal, but I would definitely tell the buyer that he/she should have provided a similar photo to yours when selling it.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a vintage cymbal I would probably let it go. If you paid big bucks and it was supposed to be mint….. you might say something.

Dtucci

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely say something and provide the close-up images to the seller. There’s a chance they didn’t know or aren’t well-versed on how we classify condition. Either way, you paid for a certain level of condition and are probably due a few $$ back.

VKT Radiostar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 567935 .

Yes absolutely worth mentioning. If they don’t respond call ebay customer support. Not that I’d return it but ask for free shipping or something else but don’t let it go.

Thebstar

Reaction score
I probably wouldn’t ask for any $ back, but I would nicely let the seller know he should be more transparent. Maybe the next buyer won’t be as cool.

Reaction score

View attachment 567935 .

Personally...I wouldn't buy any drum parts that I hadn't played, touched, fondled, etc. Too risky...and easy to get burned. Buyer beware.