header.nohb.html

New question added for this topic! What brands go with a Gretsch bass drum?

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Rogers bass drum. I tried it with some gretsch toms. I’m going to try it with some Slingerland toms also. And I bought an Agop 20” Turk. I played it my old k and a new k con. Bosphorus hats. It’s all in your ears.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we still talking this kit? Do the drums have the same finish at least? Sure it will "work" but if its a jelly bean kit, can you handle that? I don't like them. Yours would be a jellybean, M&M and junior mint kit!

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are we still talking this kit? Do the drums have the same finish at least? Sure it will "work" but if its a jelly bean kit, can you handle that? I don't like them. Yours would be a jellybean, M&M and junior mint kit!

I am fine with jellybeans.

In the end, I really just want to see what the fuss is about Gretsch. My semi-Gretsch Marquee snare is pretty nice. I think when I finish my six lugger, I will be stoked. Eventually, I will end up with a Gretsch kit, all drums being Gretsch. I may even wrap them all to match, or strip/stain/finish to match. But I may fall in love with a Gretsch bass, Slingy tom and Premier floor tom. Who knows?

Thanks!

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Hmm, well, Gretsch kits sure do sound different. I find that the toms sound different than the typical Ludwig/Slingerland type sound (no air vents, maybe the cause?) and the snares sound really different, almost boxy but the bass drums are their least distinctive sounding drums IME. The die cast hoops sure do make a difference as well.

But that's just me with a pretty small sample size so, grain of salt and all that.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmm, well, Gretsch kits sure do sound different. I find that the toms sound different than the typical Ludwig/Slingerland type sound (no air vents, maybe the cause?) and the snares sound really different, almost boxy but the bass drums are their least distinctive sounding drums IME. The die cast hoops sure do make a difference as well.

But that's just me with a pretty small sample size so, grain of salt and all that.

I know that the die cast hoops are day/night difference for the sound of nearly any drum.

I haven’t been able to affordably get into a Gretsch kit, and I have a funny feeling that I will be buying Nordic Shells’ approximation of Gretsch toms before I could piece together a genuine Gretsch kit. One would say “just sell one of your DW kits”, in which that is impossible for many reasons. Being able to get the DW kits was literally a once in a lifetime deal for me LOL There are a lot of things that contribute to that “Great Gretsch Sound”, and silver fence paint has little to do with it LOL

Hulakatt

Reaction score
silver fence paint has little to do with it
So says you! The silver fence paint is everything!

Yeah, I hear you on the DW kits. That's my RB kit for me, I just fell into them and put a lot of elbow grease in. Funny, I keep dreaming about scratch building a kit but to vintage Camco specs.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
So says you! The silver fence paint is everything!

Yeah, I hear you on the DW kits. That's my RB kit for me, I just fell into them and put a lot of elbow grease in. Funny, I keep dreaming about scratch building a kit but to vintage Camco specs.

I did gold sealer in my “I can’t believe it’s a drum build”, and that IS the difference LOL

One drummer I know says he mixes Rogers with Gretsch all the time and loves the sound. This could prove an interesting experiment.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
One drummer I know says he mixes Rogers with Gretsch all the time and loves the sound. This could prove an interesting experiment.
The old hippie I got my Gretsch kit and a Ludwig Club Date from had both so he could mix the shells around. He mostly used the Gretsch BD with the Ludwig toms and a Ludwig Pioneer snare.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what are the shells ? Is the Slingerland a five ply or three ply with r-rings ? Is the Premier floor tom the old three ply or a later straight walled ?

In my experience and to my ears , birch and mahogany Premier three plies aren't a good fundamental match nor are heavier straightwalled toms and thinner ones . The Slingerland three ply is more or less in a similar universe as the Premier mahogany , maybe not as spongy .

For example , I had a dandy vintage Premier kit - 20 12 14 . The bass drum and floor tom were mahogany three plies and the twelve was birch . I really tried to make them work together but landed up selling the works out of frustration . Different heads and tunings didn't work . The difference was always there .

Of course you can play whatever you want to , maybe it'll be OK .

If you like the Gretsch bass drum put it to one side . Toms and bass drums don't have to work together simply because of the physics involved unless you're using mallets instead of drumsticks .

Pre ‘72

Reaction score
I had this thought the other day actually. I was recording with a set of teardrop Sonors and swapped out the 20” bass drum with a 22” 3 ply Ludwig that I know already sounds good.

And sure enough, the Ludwig just didn’t sit well with the Sonor toms. It lacked the bright punch and ease of clarity and tone that the Sonor toms presented.

All of this is to say, I’m not sure I could get the Ludwig drums of similar sizes to sound the same as those Sonors. But I bet you could a Gretsch!

So, maybe check out some teardrop Sonors to mix match with your Gretsch.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I can afford it, I will be likely buying some Gretsch flavored Nordic shells in 13” and 16” to make my Watts-ish tribute kit. I only want USA shells for this kit, so it’s this or going on a seemingly long search for a lucky find like I had on my 22” bass drum that literally fell in my lap. But I have a feeling that I will be experimenting for awhile on finding the perfect combo. Thanks to those who have contributed, and I am still open to hearing what others have done!

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
The new question: What was the typical 13” tom depth on vintage Gretsch kits? I know that floor toms are universally (okay- not quite) 16x16”. Would 13x7” be too fast?

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
that will only work if you an Evans Head on the kick, Remo on the snare, Aquarian on the rack and Attack on the Floor!