New Ride With This Sound?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh, I just listened to three new Take Five replicas that are currently available. First two...hmm, getting there, but not quite. Third one, ohhhh! It's not exact, but it's by FAR the closest I've found. I may have to snag it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Just bought it.

just kidding :)

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very nearly almost content and finished with ride cymbals (famous last words). There's one sound left that I'm on the hunt for, and the first cymbal in this video has it:

Evidently it's an old 20" A Hollow Block Stamp. I don't need quite that much sizzle, so it may or may not be a situation that calls for rivets, but in terms of overall tone / pitch / sound signature, what's out there on the new market that could be close? I found a couple vintage examples on Reverb in decent shape that might work, but I'm a weirdo and prefer to waste money on brand new gear. I tried listening to a few modern As (not all of them yet) and haven't stumbled onto anything close enough so far. I found a K Con that is almost there, but the wash on it was way too much.

Thanks.
Your video reminded me of one of my cymbals. The video below is mine (I bought it new from Memphis Drum Shop). Listen at the :37 mark. To my ear, it's a bit lower pitched but similar qualities. Looks like MDS has 3 of these in stock now (I think it's an exclusive to them).

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @tbird8450, I solved your problem!

You're welcome!

tbird8450

Reaction score
Hey @tbird8450, I solved your problem!

You're welcome!
What a deal! The Zildjian inspection gloves really sell it.

Your video reminded me of one of my cymbals. The video below is mine (I bought it new from Memphis Drum Shop). Listen at the :37 mark. To my ear, it's a bit lower pitched but similar qualities. Looks like MDS has 3 of these in stock now (I think it's an exclusive to them).

Oh, I hadn't run into these before. Great suggestion and if I hadn't found the one below I may have been tempted to go that way.

This is what I bought:

It's definitely not an exact match to the original video by any means, but it's got everything I'm looking for including the right tone, stick definition, sizzle, etc. I don't think I'd have stumbled onto these without it being suggested here. Thanks so much! As a side note, evidently this cymbal is almost exactly the same weight as Morello's original ride (2194 grams). I guess that's nifty, too. As a side side note, Joe and I also share a birthday. I guess it was meant to be.

Last edited:

tbird8450

Reaction score
The cymbal arrived yesterday (Memphis is super fast), and I like it. It took a bit more oomph with the sticks to get the tone I'm after than I was expecting, but I tried some old round-tipped sticks that I had laying around that are old and warped, and they opened up the cymbal much more easily. I ordered some fresh ones and I'll dig in more when they show up. Incidentally, it sounds almost exactly like Morello's actual ride as played at the end of this video (not so much the song Take Five itself - I'm sure a combination of Joe's playing, sticks, the studio, recording nuances, etc are all responsible):

I guess being the same weight within 2 grams helps.

tbird8450

Reaction score
So, update on the above. It wasn't meant to be after all. It was a great cymbal, but after spending some time with it, it just wasn't the sound I was looking for. I got it all cleaned up and it should be back with Memphis now, just in case anyone else would want a crack at it.

I ended up listening to several 20" Avedis rides, and found one that was super close in terms of tone. I put 3 rivets in, and yup, that's the one! It's a beautiful cymbal, too.