New Rogers Drum Sets now available in the US...update from Pro Drum

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like my 5 ply Keller shell Fullerton is definitely a keeper.
Yeah, it is starting to look like the vintage stuff will be much better priced that the new stuff. Who knew, but I just might look for vintage. I was already thinking of getting the new shells, but installing vintage swivomatic spurs, tom holder, and collet plate on the mounted tom. I didn't asked Pro Drum about the tom holder, but none is pictured in the Rogers advertisements.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I remember correctly a discussion at or around NAMM took place that indicated spur, tom mount, and floor tom leg options would, in time, be available.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$6000?
Come on.

Why would anyone ever buy those drums over these?

I don't mean to start this whole debate up again in this thread, but I just don't get what you accomplish with a purchase of these kits?

If you want vintage tone, looks and vibe, buy a vintage Rogers at 1/3 the price.
If you want modern, new drums spend 1/3 of the price and buy a modern drum set with all of the technological advances of the last 60 years?

What am I missing?

Reddy

Reaction score
$6000?
Come on.

I don't mean to start this whole debate up again in this thread, but I just don't get what you accomplish with a purchase of these kits?

If you want vintage tone, looks and vibe, buy a vintage Rogers at 1/3 the price.
If you want modern, new drums spend 1/3 of the price and buy a modern drum set with all of the technological advances of the last 60 years?

What am I missing?

Could get a set of Sonor Vintage and a set of 602s with money to spare.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
They better hurry up. Their demographic is either dying, retiring, getting arthritis, or is running outta funds. Only we boomers are going to buy this stuff ... well mostly ... and the "Great Boomer Sell Off" is coming ...

Me, I'll gladly buy a one-up, two-down, tone-controlled Celebrity kit in Mardi Gras, with a matching Dynasonic, if and when it is offered, but for now I'll pass.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$6000?
Come on.

What am I missing?
I don't think you're missing anything. You're spot on. A vintage set starts to look reasonably priced.

fishstix94

Reaction score
This is downright depressing... I had been waiting to pick one of these up for awhile, and now I have no motivation to..

$3,900 for a kit that really doesn't even have the same build as the kits that we love? I could get a custom shop gretsch for less!!!

On the topic of snare finishes.. I have seen the new dynasonics in pink ripple, so I do wonder if that portion is true.

drumsforme

Reaction score
There was a half page ad in the new June 2020 issue of Modern Drummer on page 36 for the New Covington Kit in that color, ...No price...No dealers ....Just basically an announcement with a pic, Big Bang Distribution and RogersUSA.com.....

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There was a half page ad in the new June 2020 issue of Modern Drummer on page 36 for the New Covington Kit in that color, ...No price...No dealers ....Just basically an announcement with a pic, Big Bang Distribution and RogersUSA.com.....I thought the kit was made by Reliance in China.....Please correct me if I'm wrong.Thanks.
I understand they are assembled by Pork Pie in the USA. I have no idea where the shells originate, but I thought they were Kellers. Anyone know?

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
According to this page on the Rogers website, it says the shells are 3-ply Maple-Poplar-Maple, so that contradicts the ad copy. It looks like the are still being finished and assembled at Pork Pie in Canoga Park (this page grabbed from the Rogers website).

DrumBuildingStory-popup.jpg

Last edited:

fishstix94

Reaction score
According to this page on the Rogers website, it says the shells are be 3-ply Maple-Poplar-Maple, so that contradicts the ad copy. It looks like the are still being finished and assembled at Pork Pie in Canoga Park (this page grabbed from the Rogers website).

View attachment 442686
What were the original Rogers shells made out of? I have a mixed set of holidays and powertones.. I know that they're some mix of maple.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
What were the original Rogers shells made out of? I have a mixed set of holidays and powertones.. I know that they're some mix of maple.
There’s a big contentious thread on that topic. Several people are convinced of completely different answers, including “no maple at all”. It may be that they used whatever wood was around, and said “maple” in their ads and public comments.

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The guys behind the revival are Rogers-since-day-one boomers. They've been promoting heavily on the FB Rogers group (there are a couple of groups, theirs being the one that calls itself the "official home" of Rogers); it seems they base their marketing on feedback from group members, a large chunk of which are also boomers. I know that feedback is welcomed there but dissenting posts have been removed. To date, posts about vintage sets far outnumber info on the new line. There has been very little if any discussion about the pricing. The way it seems to be heading is a niche market for relatively few buyers, hence the steep pricing. That might last for a while but it won't last long.

If they can't tap into a younger demographic, they're in a losing battle with the bed-rock-established leading manufacturers. It's going to require more innovations than simply relying on the nostalgic lure of the "Swivo" and/or "Dynasonic" era, and it's going to require national/international endorsees. Old Rogers users like myself aren't going to spend a ton on a copy of the original. Convincing younger players to pull the trigger isn't going to be easier.

Latest posts