header.nohb.html

New Roland Sample Pad - SPD-SX PRO

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
The video with Adam is perfect. The device is perfect.

And I just bought the TM6-Pro.

That one goes to the Market place now.

Did Basil performed the app upgrade?

Also, Midi in/out via din & usb, two ft control inputs, and line-in are very neat too compared to the TM.

Last edited:

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The drum triggering is better on the TM-6 Pro. The SPD-SX is all about triggering using the pads.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I watched several product videos last night and it's quite an impressive unit. I'd love to add a multi-pad to my acoustic kit to trigger percussion sounds but I must admit that I was overwhelmed by all of the options and parameters mentioned in these videos. It seems that this is really geared more to the professional gigging drummer than those of us who are hobbyists. I wonder if Yamaha will ever get around to updating its DTX Multi 12?

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Definitely a big improvement over the current SPDS pad but worried about that big screen getting damaged.

Alpine

Reaction score

Lot's of features users of the old SPD-SX have been requesting for years.
Number one - the desktop app is awesome.
Finally a hi-hat control input! Have no use for colored lights or effects although those features will appeal to some. Nice upgrade to the industry standard.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Buddy used a regular SPD-SX for many, many years. Why upgrade to the PRO version? If the regular version is enough for him...

• Haha
Reactions: dtk

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A proper working desktop app. Easier to read screen on the unit itself, making in stage use much easier. Customisable LEDs , doing away with having to remember what sample you've out where. Customisable click. Bigger memory, more sounds.

scottreder

Reaction score
The video with Adam is perfect. The device is perfect.

And I just bought the TM6-Pro.

That one goes to the Market place now.

Did Basil performed the app upgrade?

Also, Midi in/out via din & usb, two ft control inputs, and line-in are very neat too compared to the TM.
This is my exact situation. I used the original SPD-SX but switched to the TM6 Pro both for its easy-to-use song mode (my original band doesn't have a keyboard player and those sounds come from backing tracks with full click track from the DAW) and it's responsive triggered sounds on top of acoustic drums via the RT-30HR and RT-30K triggers. However, I still have situations where having 9 pads in the tidy space of the SPD-SX would be useful. This is why I ordered the SPD-SX Pro. Anxious to check this out.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We took the Toontrack approach to Roland - which is to mean, building sound libraries with professional drummers, in recognised world class studios, with proper recording engineers and record producers.
The first time it really happened was the TM-6 pro - which also included sounds from Michael Schack and Kaz Rodriguez, also busy working professionals. A lot of those sounds are also in the SPD-SX Pro library.
I have yet to see Alesis or Yamaha give their sounds provenance.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is why I ordered the SPD-SX Pro.
I think the TM-6 Pro is still the best for multi-triggering from acoustic drums, plus the odd pad.
The SPD-SX Pro is much the best for working with clicks and backing tracks, also playing samples from multi-pads.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
We took the Toontrack approach to Roland - which is to mean, building sound libraries with professional drummers, in recognised world class studios, with proper recording engineers and record producers.
The first time it really happened was the TM-6 pro - which also included sounds from Michael Schack and Kaz Rodriguez, also busy working professionals. A lot of those sounds are also in the SPD-SX Pro library.
I have yet to see Alesis or Yamaha give their sounds provenance.
Tbh Yamaha was in the game of real recorded drum sounds long before Alesis and Roland, and at a point even working with people/companies like John Emrich, Toontrack and Fxpension for their libraries.

I always liked the natural (also real recorded in studio by drummers such as Russ Miller) sounds on the 12/III/900 much more than the competitors until the TM-6 came out. The others always had that clinical/electronic sounds (especially when it comes to percussion, but also a lot of the real drum sounds)

You really did such a great job on it and made Roland step up their game in terms of natural sounds.