header.nohb.html

New Roland Sample Pad - SPD-SX PRO

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't know Yamaha had used well known drummers in well known studios. I didn't know they had any association with Toontrack either.
I thought Pearl did it right with the Mimic, although I'm not a fan of the Steven Slate sound, the drums DO sound good.

spazapproved

Reaction score
OH MAN Time to upgrade my SPD-SX

The one thing I absolutely HATE...I can rearrange my kits and their order. My band doesn't play the same set list every show and to rearrange the kits you have to delete and reinstall every kit.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH MAN Time to upgrade my SPD-SX

The one thing I absolutely HATE...I can rearrange my kits and their order. My band doesn't play the same set list every show and to rearrange the kits you have to delete and reinstall every kit.

The Yamaha DTXMulti12 can't do this without using the iPad app, but the SPD-SX has always had this ability via kit chain mode. You can have up to 8 chains of 20 songs each. See page 56 in the manual.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tbh Yamaha was in the game of real recorded drum sounds long before Alesis and Roland, and at a point even working with people/companies like John Emrich, Toontrack and Fxpension for their libraries.

I always liked the natural (also real recorded in studio by drummers such as Russ Miller) sounds on the 12/III/900 much more than the competitors until the TM-6 came out. The others always had that clinical/electronic sounds (especially when it comes to percussion, but also a lot of the real drum sounds)

You really did such a great job on it and made Roland step up their game in terms of natural sounds.
Yup, the Yamaha stuff has generally taken the approach of ATV, which is to use dry, unprocessed sounds. On the DTXMulti12, the onboard drumkit sounds are pretty uninspiring, but the onboard orchestral and world percussion samples are top-notch. The DTXM12 had a separately available download that gave some better drumkit (both electric and acoustic) sounds. https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/46154_en.html

I still haven't seen a module do a more realistic snare than the ATV Canopus samples, especially the aluminum snare. Before I started using Superior Drummer, it was the only e-drum snare sound that I could consistently pass off as being a real drum.