New Sabian and Paiste Prototypes at DCP

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a couple of Paiste Prototypes and they were great cymbals. It's a reasonably cheap way to get into a very expensive cymbal company.

melatony

Reaction score
I had a couple of Paiste Prototypes and they were great cymbals. It's a reasonably cheap way to get into a very expensive cymbal company.
Are Paiste prototype cheaper? It think Zildjian prototype, soundlab modèle, are usually more expensive.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming to my house LOL

Yep- called it a “white elephant” yet she’s coming home to me. Love the 80s logo!
Please - puhleeeeze - record that thing and post the clip here.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming to my house LOL

Yep- called it a “white elephant” yet she’s coming home to me. Love the 80s logo!
Oh the temptation. You have no idea.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sabians = Damn expensive!o_O
I bet this batch--if not bought-- is marked down quite a bit in coming years. I bought a HH prototype ride last spring for less than $250 and a proto HH crash for $175ish (from a secondary outlet), and they appeared to be right off the showroom floor. I have no idea how it all works, however.

Freewill3

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up some Paiste 2002 prototype 15" Sound Edge hats last year (from DCP) for $280. Brand new they're $436. They're a little darker than the standard 2002's which I A/B'd at my local shop. Most of the prototypes have videos attached but if not, give them a call they might be able to shoot a quick cell video or something. Memphis Drum Shop has some Paiste prototypes as well, all with videos.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picked up some T20 proto's a while back.
GC had a deal of first one half off second one free.

1643131550455.jpeg

1643131599612.jpeg

1643131667131.jpeg

rsvp_NJ

Reaction score
I had a Sabian 20" "Flange Ride" I loved, back in the 80's. I cracked it, and years later bought a used one that I found in a music store used cymbal bin. Guess what happened? Cracked it. Then, I told that story to a drum counter guy at another store several years later, and he contacted the Sabian rep who promised they'd make a "new" one for me. Free of charge! This is long after Sabian discontinued that cymbal. (15 years at least) When I got that one it had the "Prototype" stamp on it. Unfortunately you know the ending of this story.... Cracked it : ( I've cracked 4 cymbals in 45 years and 3 were this model. But I loved it. It was a dual purpose cymbal with a great bell. Obviously I was crashing it a bit much. I'd pay for another one if I knew I could get 5 years out of it.