New Shell drilling

ludwigsok

Reaction score
For those of you building drums with new undrilled shells, do you do the drilling before or after applying the wrap?

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After. I cut edges after as well. I like my wrap to be right up to the drum's edge and incorporated in to the bearing edge.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I have done a restoration, the wrap goes on first. Drill any new holes afterward (some fill and redrill projects) insures that you line up the wrap correctly with lug mounts.

If a restoration without new holes, getting the wrap edge to line up on lugs can be a challenge.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I drill the holes in the bare shell before wrapping, that way I can make as many pencil marks as needed on the bare wood when setting things up, And if I do screw anything up I can simply plug those holes and start over. Not an option if the wrap is already on the drum. Once the wrap is on the drum it is very easy to go back and open up the holes through the wrap.

That's just my method that I've developed over the years by (lots of) trial and error.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I drill the holes in the bare shell before wrapping, that way I can make as many pencil marks as needed on the bare wood when setting things up, And if I do screw anything up I can simply plug those holes and start over. Not an option if the wrap is already on the drum. Once the wrap is on the drum it is very easy to go back and open up the holes through the wrap.

That's just my method that I've developed over the years by (lots of) trial and error.
I've never done brand new, undrilled shells, but this looks like the safest, simplest, and most logical way to do it. Drill the holes, install the wrap, then open up the holes in the wrap. Just seems to make the most sense - for the reason given.

GeeDeeEmm

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
There are plenty of ways to skin this cat. Here's my method:

1. Wrap. If the wrap has a protective film, leave it on. Trim any overhang from the edges (sheet metal shears work well for this).

2. Cut and sand edges. This establishes the final height of the shell and gives you a flat surface to measure from, which keeps things accurate and evenly spaced.

3. Mark for drilling. I use masking tape and an ultra-fine sharpie to draw on the shell.

4. Check your drill marks, then check them again.

5. Use a center punch or awl to lock in the drill marks.

6. Drill.

LBCD

Reaction score
FYI....it helps to back up the hole with another piece of wood when using a hand drill. I welded up this old shop stand, it does what I need it do but having a drill press and jig is the way to go.

A6CC87C9-1D90-4AAA-B92E-ECED804893C7.jpeg

egw

Reaction score
I drill very small pilot holes first, then wrap, then drill the actual holes, and do the edges last.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just did my first wrap job in 20 years (which was INFINITELY better) and these were my steps.

1. Wrap shell then trim any excess from edges but keep wrap all the way to the edge
2. Sand edges flat so that the shell is square
3. Drill all holes (lugs, vent, strainer/butt, etc.)
4. Route edges
5. Finish sand inside and seal

davidheinke

Reaction score
My first experience with any sort of building was re-wrapping an old Slingy kit (blue satin flame is a PITA to remove--lesson learned), so in that instance the raw shell already had the holes. When I did my first bare-shell build--a snare--having the holes there pre-wrap seemed more comfortable.

So I think the answer is either. One will make more sense to you. Do it that way.

Latest posts