New Small Set From Scratch

chipdrums

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to build a small set for acoustic and jazz that’s a lot easier to haul around. The design with tube lugs was inspired by vintage American drums from the early 1900s. And since I’ve always liked the look of brass hardware with a purple finish where the wood grain still shows I just went for it.
1 Master Smaller.jpg
Forum 3.jpg
Forum 6.jpg

After getting the shells, hardware and heads, first it was cutting bearing edges on a router table. I did 45 degrees on the inside and a slight quarter round on the outside edge, then I filed down and sanded both snare beds and marked up the hardware layouts with a template and my 3rd grade math. Next drilling, and a full test assembly to make sure everything went together and fit right, then disassembly, sanding, and staining the shells with a 50/50 mix of blue and purple wood dyes. I stained the bass hoops maple then sealed ‘em with two coats of poly satin varnish finished with 2000 grit sandpaper, and finally the fun of final assembly.

Forum 8.jpg

As the builders on here know, it’s always a kick to hear ‘em make noise for the very first time!

That one shot shows how the 18” bass, 13” snare, 10” tom and 13” floor tom compares to the 22”, 14”, 13” and 16” of my old painted Ludwigs.

Attachments

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
That's a hella sweet kit! I also like the color coordination there
that purple shell/brass hardware really pops. Great job there, mate!