New snare day! Gretsch content inside...

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
New snare day! A Gretsch G4160B, which is the bronze version of the 4160. Not the super pricey phosphor bronze model, the 1-mm shell one. Got it used.

I'm excited! I haven't treated myself to a new snare in 2-3 years. I've only been able to tap on it a bit since it's still early but will give it a full hammering later today.

PXL_20211015_183603890.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20211015_183627996.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20211015_183727268.NIGHT.jpg

Vicey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please report back. I've liked what I've heard of this model both in 5 and 6.5 depth.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These are awesome snare drums. Top-shelf sound. I had the reg. USA bronze 6.5 for a couple of years. Fantastic. I only sold it because it was actually TOO much firepower for the styles I usually cover. It was turbocharged and really barked back. I like to be able to lay into a snare a bit more, which is why I tend to prefer aluminum for metal snares. If I had to look at a bronze snare again, though, the 5", as you have, would be my first stop, especially having 8 lugs. I'm sure it sounds great.

RBagg454

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm jealous! I had been eyeing one of those and if I had seen it pop up on the used market I may have snagged it. Was it online or local?

DD

Reaction score
Fantastic! Anxious to hear report back on it after first real test-drive.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm jealous! I had been eyeing one of those and if I had seen it pop up on the used market I may have snagged it. Was it online or local?
Got it off Reverb actually. Took a while for one to come up. Like a few months. Although I missed out on one or two.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had a chance to play on it at home a couple times now. The first time was getting acquainted, and adjusting to how different it is from my Yamaha RC aluminum 6.5" which has been my #1 for years. It's such a different drum obviously. But my second go with it today I'm starting to see what it's got. The tone is really sweet and pleasant. I noticed that straight away even just taping on it the morning I got it. I've only owned one other bronze snare, a Ludwig hammered bronze, and I never got on with that drum. I sold it within a few months of getting it. I'm taking to this drum more than that one.

I also think 8-lugs might be the way to go with the Gretsch die-cast hoops. I have the Gretsch Bell Brass in 6.5" and 10 lugs and this drum feels nicer under the hands. Oh also I had a regular COB 4160 a few years ago and liked it and wish I could A/B the two but from memory I prefer this one tone-wise.

My one complaint so far is actually to do with the Micro Sensitive Throw. I'm finding that if I don't use the locking mechanism to lock the snares 'on', the throw will flip to 'off' under medium+ playing. Do other people have this issue with the Micro?

The real proof of me being sold on this drum will be if I bring it to the first rehearsal of a new project this week. The project is new to me, I don't know what to expect, I'm wanting to impress, etc. We'll see. Couple days to decide.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My one complaint so far is actually to do with the Micro Sensitive Throw. I'm finding that if I don't use the locking mechanism to lock the snares 'on', the throw will flip to 'off' under medium+ playing. Do other people have this issue with the Micro?
You gotta make sure that you hear the click of the locking mechanism when you put the wires on.

But I've had mine come off a few times on me even though they were "locked". This and gradual loosening of the wires over a few short songs at vigorous velocities.

It is sorta sad that those micro throws don't seem to work as good as they look.

That said, congrats on the snare, she's a beauty...

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
You gotta make sure that you hear the click of the locking mechanism when you put the wires on.

But I've had mine come off a few times on me even though they were "locked". This and gradual loosening of the wires over a few short songs at vigorous velocities.

It is sorta sad that those micro throws don't seem to work as good as they look.

That said, congrats on the snare, she's a beauty...
So the intention was that you have to lock it using the button every time? I was under the impression that using the lock button was optional, for when you really wanted to know it was securely 'on.'

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So the intention was that you have to lock it using the button every time? I was under the impression that using the lock button was optional, for when you really wanted to know it was securely 'on.'
The button is an "unlock" device. What you have to do is push the lever forward until you hear a click, then it is locked. You have to aply just a bit of pressure past the point where you'd think the snares are on.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
The button is an "unlock" device. What you have to do is push the lever forward until you hear a click, then it is locked. You have to aply just a bit of pressure past the point where you'd think the snares are on.
Ah, I see. Thanks for that.

Kind of a weird design for anyone needing to throw off the snares once in a while, especially if you need to do it quickly. You have to get your hand on the lever like any other throw but also depress a tiny button on the lever at the same time. I use snares on nearly 100% of the time but ironically for this new project was considering playing with them off for the verses of one song. With very little time to switch them on/off in between.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice.
I bought the 4169B 6.5 20-lug in 2018.
I have not played any of my other snares since then.
These Gretsch snare drums are the best, IMO.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Thanks for that.

Kind of a weird design for anyone needing to throw off the snares once in a while, especially if you need to do it quickly. You have to get your hand on the lever like any other throw but also depress a tiny button on the lever at the same time. I use snares on nearly 100% of the time but ironically for this new project was considering playing with them off for the verses of one song. With very little time to switch them on/off in between.
I think the lock is intended to overcome the major flaw in the original design which was a tendency to flip off by themselves. Guys would rig up rubber bands and such to hold them in the on position. The lock is part of the design and the snares aren't really "on" until you engage the lock.

I have this throw off on several snare drums, both old and new, and haven't encountered any issues with it. I just automatically click the release button when I want to disengage the snares without really thinking about it. Just the nature of the beast, but I'd rather input that tiny extra bit of effort to disengage the snares than have them pop off on their own at an inopportune time.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, the Micro throw, when on, is only ever supposed to be in that locked position. I never had an issue depressing the pushbutton to quickly unlock it. It always worked great. I think it's an excellent design, actually.