New Snare Day! -- Yamaha Steve Jordan Signature

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I just picked this up tonight, ended up trading my N&C CD Maple for it. Haven't had a bunch of time to play it, but I'm excited for my first 13" snare. While the wood hoops are cool, I'm probably going to be throwing a set of triple flanges on there to better fit my playing style. The wood hoops aren't the Yamaha ones, but they do seem to be really nice quality.

87468599_10101226456239115_4719171083998068736_o.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats on the new addition, looking forward to a review after you to have spent some time together.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I got to swapping out the wood hoops for triple flange hoops and I think for my needs the triple flanges are going to work a bit better. It makes the snare a little more lively. The wood hoops have a fantastic fat sound though.

Still not 100% sold on the snare for what I need, but I do enjoy it. I think I need to embrace the 13-ness of it, as opposed to making it sound like my usual 14" tuning. One nice thing is that with where it's positioned I'm hitting the center of the snare much more often, I usually hit slightly off center.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice !! I have been using 12" snares so I like smaller ones but I would have kept the wood hoops as somehow they seem to "focus" the tone better at a wider tuning range. I have used them for decades.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice !! I have been using 12" snares so I like smaller ones but I would have kept the wood hoops as somehow they seem to "focus" the tone better at a wider tuning range. I have used them for decades.
Well I still have them, so I can switch back whenever. It was almost just too woody of a sound for what I'm using it for. I'm just playing big stupid rock music, so subtlety isn't really the name of the game.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Question. Does Steve Jordan play his signature snare?

jordan.jpg

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 429497
I've seen a couple of pictures of him using it in the past, but I've honestly seen him more often with the Elvin Jones sig.

I don't really care if he uses it or not, I just thought that it was a cool drum and something totally different from what I have (5" x 14" Maple Snare / 4.75" x 14" N&C Alloy Classic / 6.5" x 14" CB Brass Free Floater). I'm also a bit of a Yamaha fanboy, I have an awesome lawsuit Les Paul copy from them, and I grew up playing their drums. I've said it before, but you gotta trust a company who can make high quality guitars, drums, motorcycles and jetskis.

Reaction score

View attachment 429497
Answer: Yes he does.

I interviewed Steve a while back before the first Clapton tour he did. He had a huge road case of snares that he was taking on the road. There was two of his signature snares in that case, one had wood hoops and one was standard-original. This article appeared in NSMD and there was also a picture of the case included in the article. From my memory there was also an Elvin, a 4x15, a few Brady's, the two signature drums, I think I remember an old 10x15 Marching type Ludwig, and a few others.

Again (from memory,) I think this was right after he got an Acrolite, because I busted his chops about being the guy of "a thousand snares" and that he was finally getting around to playing an Acrolite (only one of the most plentiful snares ever made. HA!)

If you have ever seen Jordan play live (or listened to his recordings,) you are aware that he usually uses a different snare (or two) on every tune. So a picture of his set with two specific snares, might be completely different than it was on the next tune (or the previous tune.)

For the original poster, these snares sound really good tuned down a bunch too.

MSG

Latest posts