New snares for my drum

MrYikes

Reaction score
What are the qualities that you look for when buying new snares for your drums? What determines a cheap set compared to a perfect set? Are there any that are better than the originals for your drum?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I switched to Percussion brand snare wires for my snare drums a long time ago for less "bright" snare sound. I tried the 30 strand version for one snare and found that was too much snare sound and went back to less strand versions. Much depends on the drum, its dimensions, its snare beds, what you like, what genre you play and there is unlikely any one size/brand that fits all answers to your question.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Much depends on the drum, its dimensions, its snare beds, what you like, what genre you play and there is unlikely any one size/brand that fits all answers to your question.
Exactly right! Even “cheap” wires can sometimes be the perfect ones for a particular drum.

I keep a variety on hand to try out with any new snare I get, or any time I “fall out of love” with a snare I’ve had for a while.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone really needs to develop a "universal" snare wire attachment mechanism to enable simpler, quicker snare wire installation. That would make comparisons much easier, and prevent the inevitable stripping of those tiny screws/bolts due to repeated loosening and tightening (one of the reasons I loved the Ludwig SuperSenstitive system).
My only requirement for wires is that they have fewer than the standard wires usually supplied with the drum. I always use 16 strands, and have tried a few different brands. So far they all seem to sound nice, but I think my preference is currently the 16 strand German wires from DrumFactoryDirect.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have played Vintage Tama snares for years and because the OEM wires could be hard to find I ran them with Cannon wires for decades because, bless them, Cannon went out of their way to make them.

Even though I now own an array of Vintage Tama snare wires I still love the sound and feel of the Cannons to this day and they were dirt cheap.

In my opinion the only thing you should judge a snare wire on is the sound that it gives you and durability.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought some Gibraltar snare wires for a snare I recently built. $12 I think? 20 strand. They're great. I do have some pricier FatCats I'm going to use for my next build. I have no previous experience with them. Puresound are hard to beat for a $20 bill.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some of my favorite go-tos:

--"German style" like the ones from DFD, 16-30 strands. You can get them on Ebay and elsewhere too; some places claim the wires are actually German. :)
--Fat Cat 20-30 strand "with pitch" (bent plates), and 24 strand adjustable.
--vintage Ludwig with the plastic ends, 18 strand usually.
--Canopus chromed 20 strand.
--Oriollo Sonomaster 20 strand.

But again I like to keep an open mind, and let myself be surprised when an underdog set of wires sounds "just right" on a given drum.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favourites and the ones Ive been using all the time are the Canopus vintage chrome plated,- however I've recently discovered Sabian blend wires, they differ from Sabian phosphor bronze wires by having 8 steel wires in the middle with a looser coil, and 6 phosphor bronze tight wound wires at either side of them, it's supposed to be a perfect mix and gives a 'pre-eqed

performance', and I'd say they are right about this, they are my new favourites they make my Krupa radio king sound the best it's ever sounded, though I will still always like the Canopus chrome. Puresounds arnt bright enough for me.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I worked on this today. I have a $2 20 strand I put on using grosgrain ribbon, but I also cut a couple of extra pieces to lay under the snare plates held with double sided tape. They have a fairly wide range of adjustment and tighten nicely.
Sadly I cannot hear a difference from the originals that I took off, but I will leave these on so that I can evaluate the ribbon material. I cannot use ribbon on my old Rogers snares.

Also today I put cotton balls in my floor tom and am really happy with the effect. Next I was going to clean off the inking on my hi-hat cymbals but first I wanted to stamp the weights close to the bells. As luck would have it, I cannot find my numerical metal stamps. I will find them in three months right where I left them for safe keeping.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually just go for the cheap, generic, off-brand snare wires (usually in a box marked something like "snappy snares") that can get $8 or whatever. For most of my needs, they work just fine.

But I have been partial to the PureSound Blasters in their various incarnations, and used those on several snares over the years. I do like their mix of sensitivity and brightness. Usually the basic 20-strand, though sometimes a 30-strand if I feel it'll make a big enough difference.

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
Worldmax German wires 16 strand.. Cheaper, but superb quality..

Puresound concert 12 strands are Great on some Drums..

Canopus vintage nickel coated ( on wood and metal) just sound better than the dry model..

Gerry