New snares with old shells.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am in no way a "drum builder", just a guy who likes to make his own stuff some of the time.

Anyway; I got a shell from North in the UK a couple years back for free because it took them so long to send me the shell pack I ordered. I have sat on that shell for maybe 2 years until last week I just got inspired to build it out.

The shell started as a 8"x14" 10 ply walnut with inner ply of curly maple and an outer ply of ash (if I recall correctly). Anyway; I've had the itch for a while now to have a shallower 14" snare so I cut the shell down to 5.5". Hardware is from DFD, I used Slingerland style lugs (8 total), 2.3mm hoops and an INDe throw with Puresound wires. For edges I did a rounded 30 out/45in on the batter and fairly sharp 45 In/Out on the snare side with a 3.5" wide bed. Finish is just Formsby's tung oil inside and out, 3 coats works well to protect everything but leave it natural looking.

Anyway; it came out really well and sounds great!

IMG_3394.JPG IMG_3395.JPG IMG_3396.JPG IMG_3407.JPG IMG_3409.JPG

I also had an old Mapex Orion 13" rack tom lying around for even longer I think. I finally decided to make that into sort of an Akira Jimbo tribute 6 lugger. Still waiting on hoops and strainer for this one. Same edges and snare beds and threw in a little sharpie signature for S&G.

IMG_3379.JPG IMG_3380.JPG IMG_3382.JPG IMG_3383.JPG

I'll get some pics and sound files up when I finis the 13".