NEW Sonor 12" hoop (must fit slotted rods)

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new Sonor 12" hoop with 6 holes to buy from a verified drum shop, not an individual. I have an older, German Sonor tom with slotted rods and the hoop needs to fit these rods.

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
I don't know that guy from Adem, but for 35 bucks I would try it. Does have to be the right thing as noted to accommodate the rods. Btw Shoops will work as an all tom replacement

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The forum update changed my email notifications and I didn't know there were replies until I looked here.

I might take a chance again on some used hoops, but I've received bent hoops on other attempts (and for other drums) buying from ebay, which is why I'm trying to find new.

Getting that tom presents another issue - I'd have a tom that I couldn't play once I took one of its hoops, unless I went the concert tom route.

I'm under the impression that Sonor makes slotted-rod hoops, seeing that they're available as an option on their SQ2 kit builder page. This might be the most expensive way to go, but it also would be the most likely to deliver a good hoop. However, assuming the exact specs for the hoop haven't changed since the 80's is yet another question.

I'm wishing Sonor never made slotted-rod hoops right about now!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I took a closer look at the pics of the hoops on ebay. The seller did a good thing by laying them flat on the hardwood floor. You can see that there is no discernible gap between the hoops and floor, which is promising.
6 hours left on the auction.. I'm going to wait it out until the last few minutes to avoid any funny business with bidding.

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
A new set will not be exactly like the old ones which are seamless and made from the same famous ferro manganese steel found in the snares. Made on the same machine in fact which I have heard they no longer have in Aue and they ran out of that steel in the 90s with tougher environmental laws in Germany made chrome plating no longer viable.

ST Drums in Germany may have some and you could go all SHoops all around. The bent thing is a no go for sure, had that happen too. The worst of all Sonor slotted rims is by far the 9 hole 18" which no one makes a replacement for and 18s were not in large mass in the first place.

Best of luck

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
Yes as far as I know from FB guys but never tried it myself. That is something you can return to GC if it doesn't, but many have reported good results as replacements on Teardrops and on Link Era snares. They look sharp too.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I ordered an S-hoop from Amazon in case it doesn't work out.. easy to return. Reminds me, I have S-hoops on my old Slingerland snare and wanted to try them on my other snares. Quick weekend project!