New Speed King?'s

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went to pick up some cymbals yesterday, and he had a couple of the new direct drive Speed Kings. Since the old Camcos are all i can play anymore with any accuracy, and these had that style look, plus members here had told me the direct drive is the way to go.
I'm looking forward to trying these out this evening, but besides beater.
Am i missing something?
Is anyone using these?
If ya used both, how do they compare?
20200820_204118.jpg
20200820_204403.jpg

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Speed King was ever anything but direct drive.
You're probably right. All I knew about it, was Bonham used it, and it sqeeked. I figured it had springs, and a strap?
I don't think they can be adjusted? I hooked it up to my practice pad, and feels good, just a little more resistance than the Camco.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
I guess i would have found em eventually, but that wasn't where I'd normally look.
I like almost no spring tension, so that's a huge plus.
I realize everyone is different, but public opinion.
Camco, or Ludwig's?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That looks to be the "old" New Speed King, they just released a brand new version but it's showing up slowly to the stores, but that still is a nice pedal I think you'll like it.
Good eye. I'm guessing 2010, or 00?
I picked up some Paistes, all are dated 0. No laser circle, so I'm not sure if that's 00, or 10
Good pedal? I like the design.
Very similar to Camco, but larger.
Unrelated, what is the purpose of a "Long Board "?
Fatter I understand, but longer? I guess $

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just bought direct drive pedals for the first time. Not Ludwig but the Gibraltar's and I'm loving them. Smooth, zero noise and tons of power. Wish I would have tried direct drive in the past. Those new Speed kings look really nice.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just bought direct drive pedals for the first time. Not Ludwig but the Gibraltar's and I'm loving them. Smooth, zero noise and tons of power. Wish I would have tried direct drive in the past. Those new Speed kings look really nice.
My first too. Gibraltar makes some of the best hardware, and pedals imo.
I just finished testing mine out. I love the fit, but i need to loosen my tension.
My beater is way back. Is that normal for Speed Kings? I don't see anyway to adjust em, unless he forgot to give me a small tool?
Hopefully I'll find a vid on these

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did you get it brand new in the box? If so it should include whatever tools are necessary.

richardh253

Reaction score
I loved playing the earlier SpeedKing I got in 1966, but adjusting the springs was a drag. And being on the floor face down, drop a little oil in there and you got all the dust & dirt of every floor sucked up into those springs. Had to take them out once a month and soak them in de-greaser. Still, nothing has ever felt as natural to me. New ones look sharp.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you get it brand new in the box? If so it should include whatever tools are necessary.
Nah, a guy i get cymbals from had a couple, so i grabbed it. It wasn't in the box, but not used.
I lessened the tension, and Camco gotta go. Still a great pedal

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I loved playing the earlier SpeedKing I got in 1966, but adjusting the springs was a drag. And being on the floor face down, drop a little oil in there and you got all the dust & dirt of every floor sucked up into those springs. Had to take them out once a month and soak them in de-greaser. Still, nothing has ever felt as natural to me. New ones look sharp.
I've yet to deal with any of that. Not looking forward to it either. I'm hoping the changed a few things

Myk

Reaction score
I use either a 70's Camco or 70's Speed King, love them both, and no the beater isn't adjustable (on either) just to lengthen/shorten the throw. My Camco sometimes hits my shin like the Speed King :toothy9:

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Tama/Camco over the Speed King. I started with a Speed King because it came with my used Ludwig drum set. I don't remember how it felt to me (too long ago and I had nothing to compare it to when I was using it). Later when I wanted to try something new, I went with the Tama/Camco because I saw a lot of guys really sail on it. Tried a couple of SKs again a few years ago, but they still felt stiff to me, plus the beater would work loose over the course of a gig - and at the most inopportune time. I like the concept of the springs being compressed instead of stretched and the fact that they're protected inside the posts, but I still can't come to grips with the SK, although this guy obviously has no problem:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I couldn't say either Speed King, or Camco yet, as it's way too early. I played the Speed King once, and it was far too stiff.
I can't say enough great things about Camco. It had been the only pedal I had any control over. If not for trying some old real cheap looking pedal, i would be done as a drummer.
There's a few reasons I'm excited forvthe SK. It has that same type of build, but seems to be made much more sturdy. I'm excited about the direct drive, the wider foot board, and yeah, I'll admit to it....Bonham played one;) .....The design hasn't seemed to have changed much throughout the years. From the pictures I've seen anyway

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That looks to be the "old" New Speed King, they just released a brand new version but it's showing up slowly to the stores, but that still is a nice pedal I think you'll like it.
Do you know if the new Speed Kings have rubber pads where it clamps to the hoop to avoid pedal rash?

10 Lug

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like mostly good news but, where can you buy one?