New Speed King?'s

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the new Speed Kings have rubber pads where it clamps to the hoop to avoid pedal rash?
As someone else mentioned, I believe mine is the older new one, although it's never been played. I haven't checked to see of there is rubber on the clamp. I know most, if not all the new pedals have them. I got a new Iron Cobra online. I hate that thing. The Cobra Coil, and inability to make it loose enough, even with zero spring tension makes it unplayable for me.
I keep rim protectors on my hoops either way, but I do like the new clamps.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shew! $200 is pricey. Hope the build quality is what it used to be. Was a time when the Speed King pedal almost cornered the market.
I just adjusted it. They didn't fix the sqeek problem at very low tension, but i sprayed it with chain cleaner, and bicycle chain lube, and just enough squeek.
I gave it a fair assessment, and the SK I got is the best pedal I've played since my issues. I honestly am so glad i grabbed it! I may take his other at the price I got it. Yes, it's not the latest model, but essentially brand new. $40, yeah, I'll grab the other

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I prefer the Tama/Camco over the Speed King. I started with a Speed King because it came with my used Ludwig drum set. I don't remember how it felt to me (too long ago and I had nothing to compare it to when I was using it). Later when I wanted to try something new, I went with the Tama/Camco because I saw a lot of guys really sail on it. Tried a couple of SKs again a few years ago, but they still felt stiff to me, plus the beater would work loose over the course of a gig - and at the most inopportune time. I like the concept of the springs being compressed instead of stretched and the fact that they're protected inside the posts, but I still can't come to grips with the SK, although this guy obviously has no problem:

That pedal is traditional spring type like the Camco and not like the Speed King.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think the latest Pearl Eliminator Redline pedal has any rubber to prevent hoop damage. Weird...
I was looking at the Tama Classic pedal, and it doesn't appear to have rubber protectors on the clamp either. I don't get that. Cost?

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the Tama Classic pedal, and it doesn't appear to have rubber protectors on the clamp either. I don't get that. Cost?
Probably. Plus, they figure that most people put some sort of protector on their hoop I guess.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Do you know if the new Speed Kings have rubber pads where it clamps to the hoop to avoid pedal rash?
Looking at the one at Sweetwater it looks like there's rubber on the bottom of the heel and at the clamp, at least the part where the hoop rests on. The clamp may or may not have any rubber though. I can't tell from the pics.

I have a rubber protector on my hoops, but mainly for the thickness for the clamp. I don't really care if the bottom of the hoop gets a bit scratched since no one is ever going to see it.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Strange. I think the new Iron Cobra came out in 1
Looking at the one at Sweetwater it looks like there's rubber on the bottom of the heel and at the clamp, at least the part where the hoop rests on. The clamp may or may not have any rubber though. I can't tell from the pics.
I'd bet they would have em. Also, i believe someone said they did.
Tama very well could have been the 1st to put en on They're almost always a step ahead. Whoever came up with putting the rubber protector on had a great idea.
The biggest advantage I'm seeing with this SK over the old Camco, or any pedal for that matter...It has a wide range of spring tension, snd it's easy to get the tension I like

Myk

Reaction score
If your vintage speed king is stiff to play, it is most likely the grease is gummy that is packed around the springs and cams up top, take it apart and clean everything and regrease.
The nice thing about the new issues is the heel hinges have bearings instead of the vintage ones being metal on metal, that's the main thing that wears, and the holes in the aluminum sides at the heel (where the hinge pin goes through) get elongated

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If your vintage speed king is stiff to play, it is most likely the grease is gummy that is packed around the springs and cams up top, take it apart and clean everything and regrease.
The nice thing about the new issues is the heel hinges have bearings instead of the vintage ones being metal on metal, that's the main thing that wears, and the holes in the aluminum sides at the heel (where the hinge pin goes through) get elongated
It's not vintage, it's actually never been playef from 2010, or so. I usually play as loose as a pedal will allow. I just started playing using the tension the pedal comes with, and that was wat too stiff.
That's what I like about this pedal, and Camcos, they're very light.
I cleaned, and lubed it anyway, and loosened to i spot i think I'm really liking.
I'm not looking forward tobwhen i have to take it apart though

Myk

Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward, unscrew the tension screws underneath take the springs out, and here's a video to remove the end caps to remove and clean the bearings, clean grease around cams. The cams are not removable, I put springs/ tension screws/bearings, in a bowl and clean everything with oil, remove all old grease.
Others will recommend new grease I can't remember which I used

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
If i keep up with maintenance, I'm hoping I'll be ok for a while. Me with a mechanical device, and a hammer doesn't usually work out.
I played it for a bit tonight. I have to find my sweet spot, but i haven't given much effort with the tension yet. It does get very slack, as well as tighter than I'd ever need.
I may buy his other one, and I have a couple late 70's Camcos i really like. I should be good for a few years.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little did I realize my first pedal I ever touched was a direct drive...in 1966. Actually the first two: Speed King and then a Ghost.
FF4941A1-844B-4EBE-B482-9E540F4D0283.png

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just adjusted it. They didn't fix the sqeek problem at very low tension, but i sprayed it with chain cleaner, and bicycle chain lube, and just enough squeek.
I gave it a fair assessment, and the SK I got is the best pedal I've played since my issues. I honestly am so glad i grabbed it! I may take his other at the price I got it. Yes, it's not the latest model, but essentially brand new. $40, yeah, I'll grab the other
40 bucks is a no brainer! Wish I had come across 2 brand new SK for 80 bucks. Dang!

chillybase

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a Speed King reissue pedal even though I don't need one. I wish I could try one out first. There aren't any drum shops near me.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As someone else mentioned, I believe mine is the older new one, although it's never been played. I haven't checked to see of there is rubber on the clamp. I know most, if not all the new pedals have them. I got a new Iron Cobra online. I hate that thing. The Cobra Coil, and inability to make it loose enough, even with zero spring tension makes it unplayable for me.
I keep rim protectors on my hoops either way, but I do like the new clamps.
I have one of those "new old" Speed Kings. I purchased it a few years ago from a Ludwig dealer for $100 or so. I also have an old Speed King that I purchased new in 1976. I like Speed Kings, you can adjust the action so there is no resistance at all, which is great.

The only problem I had with the newer Speed King was that the beater kept coming loose, I finally tightened it with a pair of pliers (!) and that fixed it.

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
Sad to say, but the old new Speed Kings (the black ones, from Monroe I think) are not as well made as the old ones. I have two Monroe SKs, and on both, the posts deform and move apart with time and use. I have had to repair one. I also recognise the beater issue. Furthermore, the cams on the Monroe is a much simpler design than on the original old SKs.

I am really keen to see if the new reissue is modelled after the Monroe or the old SK.

/Magnus