header.nohb.html

New Supra or a vintage one?

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
So. Some of you know I really dislike the LM400 Supra.I’ve tried hard to like it but no go. But, the strange thing is that I have always loved the 402, the deeper 6.5x14” version. Two very different animals, to my ears at least. I really can’t put my finger on why exactly but the 402 just has “it” to my ears: the richness, the pleasant tone, body, the right combination of warmth, brightness etc. Just sounds right to me. I’ve had a plethora of aluminium snares come and go but the 402 is THE one somehow. I’ve had a few through the years come and go but my most recent one, made on June 27th 2022 is just out of this world. I love it much more than any 402 or 411 (super-sensitive version) I’ve had before, vintage or newer versions.

Ludwig must be doing something right these days.
Here’s my most current one, already been tracked a few times. Stock heads; Ludwig Heavy over Ludwig snare side. Love those heads by the way.

41F50498-67DB-43FA-B80F-4EB226D98809.jpeg

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Ludwig found the special sauce again in recent years. I got a 402 last year that sounds exactly the way I hoped it would. It works for everything and excels at big rock n' roll with the body, clarity and perfect mix of overtones one gets from the classic snare of all time.

For guitar players, one classic sound would be a Les Paul. For drummers, it would have to be a 402.

trynberg

Reaction score
Stick 1.6mm hoops on the new ones and they'll sound exactly like the vintage ones, so why pay the same for a vintage one with chrome acne instead of just getting a new one? Should I have posted this in the unpopular opinion thread instead? :)

Jml

Reaction score
The fact that Supraphonics will pit and flake actually make me like the very similar Acrolites more. And now you can get them with 10 lugs, just like a Supraphonic.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve had new and vintage. I guess I don’t think it makes too much difference. I have a vintage 400 and newish 402. They’re all good, and can sound pretty different depending on how they’re set up. I can’t imagine not liking the 400…one of my favs. I like black beauties too.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Lord, I couldn’t begin to count how many Supras have passed through my stash in 50 years but there’s always been at least one 400 and 402 present at any given time. Right now, I have a 70’s 400 and a 1962 alloy 402 (finally got my keystone/ball bat 402.) They’ll be the last I ever acquire coz my horse-tradin‘ days are long over. It’s been my experience that regardless of vintage, Supras and Black Beauties have been among the most sonically consistent snare drums of which I’m personally aware. There have never been any unpleasant surprises due to room acoustics. You can almost always tell what one will sound like in a given room before you even slap it.

(-as always, just my own take-)

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Yeah, I think Ludwig found the special sauce again in recent years. I got a 402 last year that sounds exactly the way I hoped it would. It works for everything and excels at big rock n' roll with the body, clarity and perfect mix of overtones one gets from the classic snare of all time.

For guitar players, one classic sound would be a Les Paul. For drummers, it would have to be a 402.
Agreed.
The Telecaster, Deluxe Reverb, and Ford F-150 of snare drums. If the gods decided to hate me and give me only 1 option of snare, stipulated that it couldn’t be a 6.5 Black Beauty, I wouldn’t cry for too awful long if I could still have a 402.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m happy with either but I would rather have the 402 as well. Maybe one day…or maybe not. Not like I need another snare…I have one.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$650 new. Wouldn't normally put that kind of money down on a snare drum I don't really need. I am curious however.
What's "B" stock and why is it cheaper?

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I definitely like the newer Ludwigs but the chrome plating process is ridiculously costly and has driven the price of a 1.7mm aluminum shell drum into the stratosphere. If you can get past the brush finish of an Acrolyte 6.5" they are very close in sound and you can swap out the lugs easily enough.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And remove the stupid gaskets !
And, Ludwig needs to have a rigid and smaller lug insert retainer too. They are rubber and a bit oversized for the Imperial lug and always seem to twist up and out of the holding slots when a tension rod extends past the insert nut. I miss the older Spring and foam that Luddy used yesteryear.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve never been a fan of shallower snares. My 66 Acrolite has been cased for awhile. This 402 doesn’t have a date stamp but got a pointy badge so 70 something? Chrome is in terrific shape and sounds like a dream with the 42’s underneath.
View attachment 596853 View attachment 596854 View attachment 596855 View attachment 596856
Hey that chrome shell looks awesome. Quick question, Do you ever experience any rattle from the internal muffler? I used to have to wrap cotton cord between the rivet holding the muffler pad and the arm to alleviate rattle. I think Ludwig fixed it in the 80's with a rubber washer.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
$650 new. Wouldn't normally put that kind of money down on a snare drum I don't really need. I am curious however.
What's "B" stock and why is it cheaper?
B stock is a snare drum with slight cosmetic imperfection(s) that they sell for less. I own 2 of them and I still can't find the issue on the Black Beauty. The other is a hammered bronze piccolo and I'm embarrassed to say it took me months till I noticed the butt plate screw holes were drilled high. Their fix was extra long plastic straps on the snares.. sounds fantastic and I haven't looked back.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m actually the opposite, never bonded with a 402 but have had a few 400s that were real winners to me. The one I have now has warped hoops but with new ones I’m sure it would be aces. I’m at good enough for my students to play anyway.

Now my 6.5 bronze Supra, that’s a different story! I love that drum. And my 6.5 Black Magic too, FWIW.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Hey that chrome shell looks awesome. Quick question, Do you ever experience any rattle from the internal muffler? I used to have to wrap cotton cord between the rivet holding the muffler pad and the arm to alleviate rattle. I think Ludwig fixed it in the 80's with a rubber washer
No I never had any issues with it

Skeet6

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey that chrome shell looks awesome. Quick question, Do you ever experience any rattle from the internal muffler? I used to have to wrap cotton cord between the rivet holding the muffler pad and the arm to alleviate rattle. I think Ludwig fixed it in the 80's with a rubber washer.
I always put a little tension on the knob (not letting felt make contact with the head) and loc-titing the screw. I never used muffling, and still don't.

Mike B