New Supraphonic build quality question

scottcyp

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im in the market for a new snare. I want aluminum and am researching different brands. I have always heard about past issues with the supraphonic regarding the throw off and lug splay. I see the new LM402 has a new updated throw off. Any issues? Is it better than the old P85 (i think thats right) any issues with lug splay? Im not sold on the supraphonic yet but wanted input on those quality issues I have seen in the past.

Thanks in advance!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The new P88 strainer is excellent and replaced the problematic P85AC. While we all love the P83 and P85 strainers, the new P88 is a worthy, and modern, addition to the Ludwig line. Concerning lug-splay, this has always been an issue when Ludwig switch shell suppliers years ago. The new shell is quite a bit undersized and the hoops Ludwig uses are just a tad oversized. Combine them together and Ludwig's "solution" was the use of those thick rubber gaskets under each lug. It's up to you to decide if those gaskets make a sonic difference in the sound. What I can tell you is that switching hoops can reduce lug splay. I've found Gibraltar 2.3mm hoops to be excellent in this regard. So, factor in the cost of hoops if the lug splay bothers you.

I'm sure others will weigh in with this issue!

-Mark

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, if you keep the gaskets on there is no additional cost. I have a newer Supra, with gaskets and it sounds amazing. Also, the P88AC is rock solid as a throw. I've upgrade other snares to this style [or Inde] and love them.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can always opt for the tube lug version of the LM402 if you don't like the more pronounced gaskets used with the Imperial lug version. Personally, I don't like the looks of Ludwig's snare gaskets but I think the Imperials are more traditional on a supra than tube lugs. There are lots of good choices to consider if you're in the market for an aluminum snare drum. INDe aluminum snares get rave reviews around here, as well as Oriollo, and Yamaha (Recording Custom), to name just a few.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The gaskets, in addition to being way too big and looking terrible, do muffle the shell considerably.

Rod splay is not as a big deal as many people make it out to be. The lugs with swivel inserts were invented to address this issue. Unless it is extreme enough to the point where the insert is fully cocked and can't tilt any more it is not something to worry about. The swivel nuts are doing their job.

I would much rather have an unmuffled shell and a little more splay than a muffled shell.

scottcyp

Reaction score
You can always opt for the tube lug version of the LM402 if you don't like the more pronounced gaskets used with the Imperial lug version. Personally, I don't like the looks of Ludwig's snare gaskets but I think the Imperials are more traditional on a supra than tube lugs. There are lots of good choices to consider if you're in the market for an aluminum snare drum. INDe aluminum snares get rave reviews around here, as well as Oriollo, and Yamaha (Recording Custom), to name just a few.
I've been looking at lot at the Yamaha and the Tama Starphonic as well

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rod splay is not as a big deal as many people make it out to be.
The lugs with swivel inserts were invented to address this issue. Unless it is extreme.... The swivel nuts are doing their job.
Bingo! I agree, splay is pretty much an over hyped issue with newer rims and Imperial lugs. The "self-aligning" lug was design to overcome the differences in angular alignment.
Alternatively you could consider other options as mentioned above with tube lugs and/or die cast hoops.
I don't recall if there has been complaints with angular alignment between Ludwig's newer die cast hoops and Imperials.

dangermoney

Reaction score
I've been looking at lot at the Yamaha and the Tama Starphonic as well
So am I, the 5.5 Yamaha RC aluminum model in particular. I have six Ludwig snares that I've acquired over the years including a 402 COB but I don't have the LM-402 Ludalloy model. I used to have a 402 super-sensitive back in the 70's but gave it to a buddy of mine as a birthday present many, many years ago.

I really do like the Yamaha but the LM-402 is a timeless classic. I don't think you could go wrong with either ...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I prefer Ludwigs with tube lugs so splay is definitely an issue - but it's an easy fix as noted above by swapping the hoops out - no issues there anymore!

As for the P88, I don't like it - I am an old school guy - P83 on my vintage KB badged snares, and P85 on my post-KB badged snares.

Frankly, I don't consider splay or the throw having any bearing on build quality........if the shell sucks, is not round, feels cheap, or has a bad finish/edge, I'd consider those Q.C. issues.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
And lo, as it always has, and always shall be in any “Thinking about a snare” thread, the cry of “Don’t forget the cheapest CL Acrolite you can find!” must be loosed.

Many have hearkened unto it, and many have been pleased.

(I got an ugly one, in an ugly UFO case, with an ugly stand, and a new pair of drumsticks for $40)

fitzsy

Reaction score
I have a 5x14 modern COB and love it. I added COB 2.5mm hoops, Canopus washers, and Canopus wires and belt. I love it. Fantastic drum I am using more and more.
159EAE5A-232A-43BC-91A2-4EF88DA463AE.jpeg

Iristone

Reaction score
The gaskets, in addition to being way too big and looking terrible, do muffle the shell considerably.
I remember being told they were used to give more resonance to wood shells (isolating the shell from the lugs) when such gaskets first appeared on drums by other companies. :scratch:

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, if you keep the gaskets on there is no additional cost. I have a newer Supra, with gaskets and it sounds amazing. Also, the P88AC is rock solid as a throw. I've upgrade other snares to this style [or Inde] and love them.
Agreed. I bought an LM402 a couple months ago. Imperial lugs with the P88. Haven't been able to take it off the snare stand since.

I later put the P88 on my 80's LM400 but the darn butt plate didn't fit the hole spacing. :-(

To the OP, no issues...buy it...it's a great drum.

scottcyp

Reaction score
I’ve decided since my kit is vintage, I think I’m sticking with vintage and I’m going to chase down a premier 2000

Tanabata

Reaction score
Do we even know where (what country) Ludwig has the parts screwed on metal shells with grimy hands and put in boxes to be drop-shipped around the world? I'm sticking with the old ones.

Latest posts