NEW TAMA BIG BLACK SLP SNARE - NEW SIZE 8X15!!!!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probably the Sput Searight/Snarky Puppy influence here. Which I have NOOOOO problem with.

Combination floor tom/fat efx snare. I dig it..

Hanover Fiste

Reaction score
Me likely! I got my first 15" snare back in 2008 (an old 1920's Ludwig Universal 515) and haven't played anything but 15" snares since. I've got 8 of them now, so I'm petty sure I've got all my bass covered, but if not for that, I would be interested in checking one of these out. 15" snares are wonderful and I encourage everyone to try one out if you haven't already. I'm really intrigued by th possibility of maybe geting a 15" Dunnett Ttanium or Magnesium snare someday- not that I really need one at his point, but if I ever do get one more drum, it'll probably be one of those.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I *just* bought a Pearl Wood/Fiberglass 6.5x15". But I bet that a steel 8x15 would be the perfect candidate for my earlier question "Which of my 15" snares should I put this coated emperor on?"

SteveDilksDrums

Reaction score
I own the 8.5X14 SLP Big Black Snare and it is the best snare I've ever owned. Crisp high pitched crack when tuned high, full bodied sound when tuned low. I'd love to hear the 15 for comparison. I use this mostly for punk rock and metal but it could be used for other rock settings. Hope your enjoying yours!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I played an 8x14 steel tama a few years ago that I wish I had bought. That thing sounded like a mechanical cash register. A satisfying beefy Ker-CLUNK, and a crisp ching at the same time.

Hanover Fiste

Reaction score
swarfrat said:
I *just* bought a Pearl Wood/Fiberglass 6.5x15". But I bet that a steel 8x15 would be the perfect candidate for my earlier question "Which of my 15" snares should I put this coated emperor on?"
My favourite 15 that I own is a 6.515. It's the perfect size. It projects more bottom end and is a better, more full-bodied, well-rounded drum than either of my 815's.

stevil

Reaction score
I love my 14x8 verson of this snare (especially after I put on a diecast too hoop). It's got a powerful crack when tuned medium to high, but maintains a physical presence even in those higher registers. I don't care for it tuned low, but that's me, since I hardly ever prefer low snare tunings.

15x8 is intriguing, but I wonder what problem it solves? I remember years ago when a lot if metal guys were using marching snares in hopes that they'd get louder/deeper/whatever. Not many stuck with it. Isn't this more of that? Still, I'd check the new Tama out if given the chance.

Hanover Fiste

Reaction score
I bought my first 15" snare, an old 20's 515 Universal, back in 2008, and I think the only 14" drum I've bought since then was a 6.514 Acro reissue. Every other snare since has been a 15" and I'm pretty much ready to sell all my 14's. I can't remember the last time I played anything but a 15" snare.

15" snares will do anything a 14" can do. Tune 'em up high and they pop just like a 514, just EQ'ed lower. Tune 'em medium and they really open up and have considerably more breadth and body than a 14". Tune 'em low and loosen the snares.....DEEP dish. BOOOSH!!!

As for metal guys using old marching drums, there is a point of diminishing returns. More than that, there's a point where depth starts to work against you, depending on what sound you are going for. I have two 815's and I noticed that, in most rooms, neither one of them could pull off the deep dish sound as well as my 6.514 Acro. Part of that equation was that aluminum performs very well at low tensions, but I also noticed that, although my 8" deep drums were lower pitched, the frequency band that they projected was narrowed somewhat compared to my 6.5's, and those lower frequencies did not project through a band as well as the wider, more balanced band width of the shallower drums. With this in mind, I ordered a 6.515 Oriollo Phantom and LOOK OUT!!! It is so much more low-endy and full bodied than my 815's, it isn't even fair.

I'm currently looking for a local metal fabricator who can roll and weld an 6.5x15 or 715 shell for me. I would love to have a 15" titanium drum, but I don't fancy paying $1200 for it (I mean c'mon, you can buy a used pianno for $600...), so I'll have a shell made for me and build it out myself.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am very impressed with the 9x14 snare/floor that comes with the Superstar Hyperdrive Duo sets. Tama's got something there.

Attachments

oriollo

Reaction score
Hanover Fiste said:
With this in mind, I ordered a 6.515 Oriollo Phantom and LOOK OUT!!! It is so much more low-endy and full bodied than my 815's, it isn't even fair.
15" snares seem to becoming more popular. Built many of them lately ...

Hanover Fiste

Reaction score
oriollo said:
With this in mind, I ordered a 6.515 Oriollo Phantom and LOOK OUT!!! It is so much more low-endy and full bodied than my 815's, it isn't even fair.
15" snares seem to becoming more popular. Built many of them lately ...
Yes, based on forum posts recently, I am noticing more and more people coming around to them. I have been expecting this to happen eventually. Despite extolling their virtues to anyone who'd listen, since I started playing them, I have felt like I was part of a pretty exclusive club for the last 10 years. I think that's about to change.

I have a buddy who works at the drum dept in my local Long & McQuade, and since I started talking to him about 15's and brought a couple to the store for him to check out, they are pretty much all he buys and plays nowadays too. There's a reason 415, 515, and 6.515 used to be very common sizes back in the 20's and 30's. I just can't figure out why they ever fell out of favour in the first place.