NEW TAMA SLP DRUM SETS - UPDATED WITH PRICES AND ADDITIONAL KIT

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama just remade most great aspects of the Rogers Swivo-Matic bass drum pedal... Minus the "swiveling" footboard, the BD clamping system and the adjustable\sliding foot board (on some Rogers models), that IS the Swivo-matic...

Adjustable height single "column" base
Raised arm spring holder\adjustment
Even the open foot board (although more of a Ludwig SK pattern)

I really like it...

images.duckduckgo.com-swivo.gif

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice looking kits !! Would love to play on the pictured Tama wood hoop kit.
The Odery wood hoop kit I sold was unbelievable large/ fat / low pitched sounding for it's size.{Tooo ripe for the type of gigs I was doing, IMHO}

LFBarfe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Balance said:
Wow, they've really gone backwards!
Sometimes, excellent designs fall out of production. Is anybody making a compression spring pedal these days? Being able to buy a pedal that works largely like a Swivo with the benefits of modern production techniques and a full warranty will be an answer to many people's prayers.

R

RickP

LFBarfe said:
Wow, they've really gone backwards!
Sometimes, excellent designs fall out of production. Is anybody making a compression spring pedal these days? Being able to buy a pedal that works largely like a Swivo with the benefits of modern production techniques and a full warranty will be an answer to many people's prayers.
Trick makes a compression spring pedal.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cauldronics said:
SLP kits are a confusing move for Tama in terms of where this kit fits within their lineup. Is it meant to compete with the Superstar Classic and Hyperdrive midrange kits, or somewhere between those and Starclassic?

Or is just another choice all by itself? The quality level is hard to know from these pics.

I do like the idea of wooden hoops on an entire kit from one of the big 4 drum companies.
I bet they'll take over the Starclassic line.

Vanhalen1984

Reaction score
PRICES AND THE G-BUBINGA 11-PLY KIT ADDED TO THE FIRST POST.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking forward to checking these sets in a couple of weeks. The SLP line has been a 100% winner for Tama as far as the snares go. I am sure the sets will be great too.

Balance

Reaction score
jbonzo1 said:
$1400 for the Spruce kit ain't bad.
About a decade back their superstar kits were 100% birch and had the star-cast mounting system, $1500 in Australia, would have been around $1200 or less in the US. This was great value, spruce is a softwood, they have gone downhill.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
My favorite BD pedal Ive ever owned was the Tama Hi-Beat/Imperialstar from the early 80s. I wonder if this new version will come in a strap drive?D09E5F17-197F-49C3-9D63-C5DF5C64E03E.jpeg

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Balance said:
$1400 for the Spruce kit ain't bad.
About a decade back their superstar kits were 100% birch and had the star-cast mounting system, $1500 in Australia, would have been around $1200 or less in the US. This was great value, spruce is a softwood, they have gone downhill.
Well, this depends... Because I personally have zero interest on birch kits. While they are really well made for sure already in that price range, I have never really liked a single birch wood kit that I've heard, so it's Superstar Schmuperstar for me. Good drums but I just find them boring.
BUT well made softwood is actually interesting concept for me. I find many low end kit's tone quite pleasing, interesting and usable, but their hardware and bearing edges are often low quality, so they can be hard to tune and not roadworthy, so they have not been an option for me.
So, I think that bringing a modestly priced softwood kit that you could actually rely on on real world gigging situations is very good news for guys like me.
Not saying that it's going to be a hit, who knows. But midline market is really saturated with these 100% maple or birch kits so I think only room is to offer something really different.

Freewill3

Reaction score
Anyone notice just 6 lugs instead of the standard 8 on the 14" Spruce floor tom? I have the Fat Spruce snare which is wonderfully warm and full of body. I'm betting this kit will sound amazing...

Latest posts