NEW TAMA SLP DRUM SETS - UPDATED WITH PRICES AND ADDITIONAL KIT

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for different wood types, so the spruce and kapur kits definitely catch my eye. Prices aren't bad, either. Dang you, Tama.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
felis said:
Spruce is a pretty soft wood. Softer than poplar and most gum woods, I think.
Should be interesting to hear how they sound.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny they didn't use the cut out on the woodhoops for the full extend (looking at the pictures that were released)

Yamaha used these so you can have the toms hanging/standing closer to eachother. Here they seem to have no function.

Great looking kits. And that pedal is bringing back that old school vibe.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$2k for a maple kit with wood hoops. Just need to add a few hundred more for a decent wrap over that boring finish. It's maple, why not have an option for plain maple?

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
^^^
The maple and spruce kit finishes match the snare drums that preceded them. But a gloss maple would be nice.

Balance

Reaction score
Markkuliini said:
$1400 for the Spruce kit ain't bad.
About a decade back their superstar kits were 100% birch and had the star-cast mounting system, $1500 in Australia, would have been around $1200 or less in the US. This was great value, spruce is a softwood, they have gone downhill.
Well, this depends... Because I personally have zero interest on birch kits. While they are really well made for sure already in that price range, I have never really liked a single birch wood kit that I've heard, so it's Superstar Schmuperstar for me. Good drums but I just find them boring.
BUT well made softwood is actually interesting concept for me. I find many low end kit's tone quite pleasing, interesting and usable, but their hardware and bearing edges are often low quality, so they can be hard to tune and not roadworthy, so they have not been an option for me.
So, I think that bringing a modestly priced softwood kit that you could actually rely on on real world gigging situations is very good news for guys like me.
Not saying that it's going to be a hit, who knows. But midline market is really saturated with these 100% maple or birch kits so I think only room is to offer something really different.

Fair enough for those who didn't' want birch, but that's not the point. Softwood is cheap and cheaper than birch. They are treating people like suckers, why are people content with this?

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Balance said:
$1400 for the Spruce kit ain't bad.
About a decade back their superstar kits were 100% birch and had the star-cast mounting system, $1500 in Australia, would have been around $1200 or less in the US. This was great value, spruce is a softwood, they have gone downhill.
Well, this depends... Because I personally have zero interest on birch kits. While they are really well made for sure already in that price range, I have never really liked a single birch wood kit that I've heard, so it's Superstar Schmuperstar for me. Good drums but I just find them boring.
BUT well made softwood is actually interesting concept for me. I find many low end kit's tone quite pleasing, interesting and usable, but their hardware and bearing edges are often low quality, so they can be hard to tune and not roadworthy, so they have not been an option for me.
So, I think that bringing a modestly priced softwood kit that you could actually rely on on real world gigging situations is very good news for guys like me.
Not saying that it's going to be a hit, who knows. But midline market is really saturated with these 100% maple or birch kits so I think only room is to offer something really different.

Fair enough for those who didn't' want birch, but that's not the point. Softwood is cheap and cheaper than birch. They are treating people like suckers, why are people content with this?

"Treating people like suckers", that's pretty far stretch, isn't it... :) They are telling it's spruce, it's not hiding that fact. The product either sells if drummers want this,or it doesn't. What's the being a sucker-part? Nobody is getting cheated in my opinion.
I mean, how dirt cheap this drum kit should be in your opinion, for it being fairly priced?

Actually, the price of the wood material makes surprisingly small amount of the total cost of a drum kit. By the way, nowadays you can actually buy fast grown maple and birch dirt-cheap, and most of the maple and birch midline kits are using this farmed, cheap wood that is much softer than maple and birch that are grown slowly in the nature.
The quality work, (including things like making the shells, edging and finishing) and good hardware makes most of the price.

R

RickP

Spruce as many know has been used for decades in guitar building and is a highly desirable wood for guitar tops. I am surprised it has taken this long for drum manufacturers to start using this wood for drum building. I have had the opportunity to play the Tama Fat Speuce snare at forum member Murats shop and I was very impressed with the sound of the Fat Spruce snare. It had a nice combination of body and articulation.

Kapur is a fantastic wood for drums, Yamahas Club Custom drums are made from 100% Kapur plies ( a wood that is harder than a Rock Maple on the Janka scale) and are some of the finest sounding drums Sakae ever made for Yamaha. I think the Tama SLP Kapur kits will be great sounding drums.

J

jaymandude

MillerMav said:
I'm definitely feeling that flat based hi hat stand!
Me too. I haven't been happy with any of the current offerings. I have a Canopus but I bought it used and it's never been right.