New "Tight" Setup: Mapex, Zildjian K, Yamaha Hex Rack

cutaway79

Reaction score
So, recently, I've been looking to build a nice, tight little kit with a small footprint, without having to resort to using tiny drums. I decided to go with the Yamaha Hex Rack for A.) the stability, B.) its weight compared to other racks, and C.) the finish on it matched my existing Crosstown stands. I got a bit creative with the configuration, chopping a few bars along the way.

The Hybrid crashes are great as crashes (duh), have a nice bell sound, and can be used quite convincingly as a ride, so I ditched my 18", 19", and 20" crashes, and 20" ride to let these two handle it all (I really should clean my hats and splash to match).

I'm still messing with it a bit (hence the tape in random spots on the rug), but this is where I'm at for now...

Drums:

12x8 - Mapex Orion
16x16 - Mapex Orion
20x16 - Mapex Saturn III (w/ Audix D6 on a Kelly Shu inside)
14x6 - Ahead BOB

Cymbals:

2 - Zildjian 19" K Custom Hybrid Crash
Sabian AAX 14" Fast Hats
'80s Zildjian A 10" splash

Hardware:

Yamaha Hex rack II (chopped and tweaked)
Yamaha Crosstown aluminum cymbal stand tops, snare basket, and hihat stand.
Mapex tom arms
Rogers snare stand top (for headphone amp/iPod docking station)
Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide bass drum pedal
Gibraltar throne

Accessories:

Trick Quick Release Cymbal Toppers
Gibraltar Quick Release hihat clutch
DW bass drum cymbal/accessory clamp/L-rod

*** Sorry for the picture quality. These were taken at night, in my somewhat dim garage. I tried to lighten the pictures up the best I could. ***

IMG_20181203_200033.jpeg
IMG_20181203_195831.jpeg
IMG_20181203_195658.jpeg
IMG_20181203_195714.jpeg
IMG_20181203_195746.jpeg
IMG_20181203_195817.jpeg

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
That looks to be a pretty cool rig. Why the 2 tom arms & mounts attached to the 16" tom, additional stability?

cutaway79

Reaction score
That looks to be a pretty cool rig. Why the 2 tom arms & mounts attached to the 16" tom, additional stability?
Yeah... I didn't feel ok about mounting it from just one point, because of the weight, and the fact that each lug is attached by one screw. Just seemed kinda dicey. When I was using stands, I mounted it on an L-rod arm from my cymbal stand, and put a floor tom leg on the opposite side for stability.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah... I didn't feel ok about mounting it from just one point, because of the weight, and the fact that each lug is attached by one screw. Just seemed kinda dicey. When I was using stands, I mounted it on an L-rod arm from my cymbal stand, and put a floor tom leg on the opposite side for stability.
I have had 16" mapex toms mounted off of one mount for years with no problem. In your case I think I would of just put legs on the drum. Not a fan of Hex racks, but good on you for being creative. Love the old Saturn mounts. Most versatile in the business.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
That is tight. You almost need some military equipment style stencils plastered all over it - "No Step", "No Hand Hold", "Do Not Exceed 160 BPM", "No Mustang Sally". "No Claps on 1 & 3".

I love what the Stealth rack does for pulling stuff together - you've done something similar. I like the SR's feet arrangement better than stands, but were it not for that requirement, I think you could mount tubes and boom arms to existing stands to do the same thing.

cutaway79

Reaction score
I have had 16" mapex toms mounted off of one mount for years with no problem. In your case I think I would of just put legs on the drum. Not a fan of Hex racks, but good on you for being creative. Love the old Saturn mounts. Most versatile in the business.
I'm not really a fan of legged floor toms in use. I gig a lot, and try to cut as many unnecessary time-killers as possible (reason for the quick release cymbals and hihat). And it's much faster/easier to throw a tom on a stand than to mess around with three legs.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I think it's really cool that you came up with a rig that's both unique & innovative for yourself.
I can appreciate the amount of thought and effort that went into it.

Does Modern Drummer still do that "Drumset of the Month" feature on the last page?
You should sent the pics to them!

cutaway79

Reaction score
That is tight. You almost need some military equipment style stencils plastered all over it - "No Step", "No Hand Hold", "Do Not Exceed 160 BPM", "No Mustang Sally". "No Claps on 1 & 3".

I love what the Stealth rack does for pulling stuff together - you've done something similar. I like the SR's feet arrangement better than stands, but were it not for that requirement, I think you could mount tubes and boom arms to existing stands to do the same thing.
The footprint and stability are the main reasons I went to a rack. I had everything mounted on tripods before - 2 cymbal stands, snare, and hihat. The legs take up a lot of real estate. Plus, on some of the jankier stages, when the other three band guys would jump around, the stands (and floor tom, when it was on legs) would sway, and sometimes shift positions a bit, causing things to bump occasionally. The rack, however, is solid, and isn't going anywhere.

Plus, my rack tom is in a better position now - in relation to the left crash - on that crossbar than it was hanging it off the nearby cymbal stand.

As far as attaching the Hex Rack crossbar to cymbal stands instead of the rack legs... I've done something similar in the past. But not every stage/floor is perfectly flat and level. With two cymbal stands rigidly connected to the crossbar, that's 6 separate feet that need to sit flat on an imperfect floor. Trying to get all the feet to sit right so the rack doesn't wobble is pretty annoying. Plus, with the rack, I was able to attach the snare.

Last edited:

cutaway79

Reaction score
UPDATE: I made a few adjustments/alterations...

I changed the right-side (from behind the kit) support foot from straight to curved.

I took the second tom mount off the floor tom, and instead, mounted a floor tom leg on the opposite side - just trying to cut down the bulk.

I flipped the left support foot to curve in the other direction, so both sides match.

I also changed out the T-clamps that normally hold the foot section to the leg section, for the standard cross clamps - The T-clamp has four tightening screws on it (three drum key screws and a wing nut), and you need to mess with at least two of them every time you set up or break down. The cross clamps just use one big wing nut.

Found a new place for my splash.

I also threw together a little hook-type arrangement that grabs onto the bass drum batter head collar to prevent creep. Not sure how this will work. I'll give it a good try tomorrow. Just a wacky idea I wanted to try (and the first step to an even wackier idea I'm still thinking through).

IMG_20181210_202245 2.jpeg

IMG_20181210_181030.jpeg

IMG_20181210_180959.jpeg

IMG_20181210_181122.jpeg

IMG_20181210_181211.jpeg

IMG_20181210_181225.jpeg

IMG_20181210_201728.jpeg

IMG_20181210_201753.jpeg

IMG_20181210_201858.jpeg

IMG_20181210_202117.jpeg

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of creative thinking going on here - love it!

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of it and admire that you had a vision and executed it. Though I wonder how much of a time/weight/space saver setting up a rack really is compared to your Crosstown stands, tom on the kick and a FT on legs. I use to have a Stealth rack and thought it was cool but it just wasn't worth the effort of lugging it around for a 4-piece kit. Even a Stealth has bulky pipes that take up a lot of room in a bag. For bigger kits I can imagine a tipping point where it becomes advantageous to use this kind of system. But for a small kit I much prefer light weight stands and toms on the kick and floor tom legs. This is not a criticism, just an observation from personal experience. I still think it's really cool.

cutaway79

Reaction score
I really like the look of it and admire that you had a vision and executed it. Though I wonder how much of a time/weight/space saver setting up a rack really is compared to your Crosstown stands, tom on the kick and a FT on legs. I use to have a Stealth rack and thought it was cool but it just wasn't worth the effort of lugging it around for a 4-piece kit. Even a Stealth has bulky pipes that take up a lot of room in a bag. For bigger kits I can imagine a tipping point where it becomes advantageous to use this kind of system. But for a small kit I much prefer light weight stands and toms on the kick and floor tom legs. This is not a criticism, just an observation from personal experience. I still think it's really cool.

No offense taken. I totally get what you're saying. I do love the Crosstown stands, and they were a little quicker to set up. I decided to try the rack for a few reasons:

1. My band plays all varieties of gigs... from giant pro stages, to weddings where the stage feels about as sturdy as a carnival ride looks. When playing on the latter, and my bandmates decide to start jumping around, the stands sway and things start scooting and bumping into each other (one big reason I don't like legged floor toms). The rack is solid as a rock.

2. Some of our less-experienced clients don't understand how much space a 4-piece band w/PA takes up, so they cheap out on the stage, and we basically end up playing on a glorified drum riser. Getting rid of all the tripods has made a huge difference in floor space.

3. It makes my kit look a little unique, which is nice :D

cutaway79

Reaction score
***** UPDATE *****

Experiment time!

I removed the bass drum spurs, and moved the ITS plates that the spurs were mounted on down to the bottom of the drum. I then screwed a couple eye-bolts into the spur bracket screw holes. I figure, I've got the hook on the rack to keep the bass drum from creeping, and I have nothing mounted on top, so all I need the spurs for is to lift the front, and keep the drum from rocking side to side. It's solid so far, I dropped some weight, and I swear my bass drum sounds bigger/louder. I'll likely paint the eye-bolts black, but here's what it looks like for now...

IMG_20181211_151310.jpeg
IMG_20181211_151532.jpeg
IMG_20181211_153407.jpeg
IMG_20181211_153339.jpeg
IMG_20181211_153324.jpeg

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that an Arbiter snare drum?

BlackMapex-HexRack-Custom012.jpeg

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No offense taken. I totally get what you're saying. I do love the Crosstown stands, and they were a little quicker to set up. I decided to try the rack for a few reasons:

1. My band plays all varieties of gigs... from giant pro stages, to weddings where the stage feels about as sturdy as a carnival ride looks. When playing on the latter, and my bandmates decide to start jumping around, the stands sway and things start scooting and bumping into each other (one big reason I don't like legged floor toms). The rack is solid as a rock.

2. Some of our less-experienced clients don't understand how much space a 4-piece band w/PA takes up, so they cheap out on the stage, and we basically end up playing on a glorified drum riser. Getting rid of all the tripods has made a huge difference in floor space.

3. It makes my kit look a little unique, which is nice :D
You know your situation best and if it solves problems then all the better. #3 is as good a reason to do anything.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice; great idea of putting the cross bar behind the bass drum.

I had the cross bar under the bass at one time with two vertical tubes, I called it my U-Tube rack; sort of a dis-configuration of a Stealth System.. I have used it to hold two toms on each vertical tube and one cymbal on each one.

sherm

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I never thought about keeping the eyebolts from my last marcher. But you could lift the front of the bass by stringing them to the rack. That'd take care of resonance (getting it off the floor) and creep.