New (to me at least) Sonor Delites

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
A few weeks back I got very lucky on an Ebay auction and picked up a three piece (12/14/22) Sonor Delite kit with cases. The drums for the most part were in good shape, but there is a small, hard-to-see scratch on the bass drum as well as a dent and scratch on the rack tom.

I really love the kit, they're the best sounding drums I've ever owned and I am quite impressed with the build quality.

Here is a shot of the kit with the stands I picked up and with my recently-restored D506 snare:

View attachment 90007
View attachment 90009
View attachment 90010

Using some old "cabinetmaker's tricks" I was able to make the scratch on the 9x12 kind of disappear.

Before:

View attachment 90011

After:

View attachment 90012

And just yesterday I added an 16x18 bass drum. This drum is not at all "boinky". Tuned right it blows away most 20's and a few 22's.

View attachment 90013
View attachment 90014

Color me quite satisfied!

R

RickP

Nice drums Franke- I love Birdseye maple. Delites sound really nice . I am sure Coelecanth will chime in anytime now.

Drumworm

Reaction score
Very nice score! I have a Delite kit as well, and they are just outstanding drums. The tone is so full and round. They stay in tune remarkably. I love the look of the nice vertical gain of the maple in the shells. Congrats and welcome to the Sonor family.

TRstix

Reaction score
Nice kit! I got an S-Classix kit (like the Delites, but birch) last year, and I love them. Good job, franke.

panickjm

Reaction score
very nice indeed, I imagine they sound great!

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
Welcome to the Sonor club. I own some S-classix and am stoked by both build and sound quality. Having owned other kits how do you feel about the Delites in comparison?
You have a beautiful set of drums.

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
DanRH, er...I mean Franke, you are picking up quite a few kits lately! The Tempus, the two DW kits, and now the Sonor are all very impressive.

What makes the Sonor the best sounding kit you have ever owned?

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Welcome to the Sonor club. I own some S-classix and am stoked by both build and sound quality. Having owned other kits how do you feel about the Delites in comparison?
You have a beautiful set of drums.
Thanks, Snooter. After playing these I think I'm done with pretty much everything else (yeah, I know: famous last words). And now that I have a 22 and an 18, I have all bases covered (though I'd love a 20 at the right price). I am looking to add a 10" and perhaps a 16" at some point (and hopefully it will have legs!). Radar is also tuned to getting a Delite snare (prefer matching) too.

Though I wouldn't have necessarily ordered this color if I had bought them new, it has started to grow on me, and, from what I'm told, it is fairly popular so finding orphans won't be as difficult as it might be with other colors.

I have owned Slingerland, (3-ply) Ludwig, Tama, Pearl, Gretsch (both USA and Renown), Rogers, DW, and Tempus, and these are hands-down the best. I cannot get over how great these are, and actually I haven't really begun yet to experiment with them with respect to different tunings and such. I can now call myself a Sonor guy, for I have sold off most of my other stuff.

The S-Classix are really great as well, and someday, if I can find the right deal and the right sizes/color, I'd love to get a kit. The grained maple is really hip, as is the strata finish they do.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
those are delite...ful franke. love them!!

mike

Rudy Corona

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I own two Sonor kits, neither of them "Hi-end"----and I love them both. Great drums--good luck with the Delites, I'm jealous :cool:

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
DanRH, er...I mean Franke, you are picking up quite a few kits lately! The Tempus, the two DW kits, and now the Sonor are all very impressive.

Hey, Paul. I've actually just sold the two DW kits I had. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the Tempus. Without opening a major can 'o' worms again, it sounds good and it looks good, but not sure if I need to hold on to it. I would rate the sound of the Tempus kit to about equal to DW/Pearl Masters, which is another way of saying that they're a distant second to the Sonors.

I'm trying to work towards just having one kit that can do everything. I'm at a place in my life right now where I don't have the physical nor the mental space anymore to own so many drums. It feels right to just let loose of a lot of stuff right now, and having something that finally does it all for me probably has a lot to do with how I feel lately.

What makes these the best sounding to me is that the tone is so unbelievably rich and full. There's tons of volume if you want it but at the same time just the lightest touch produces a full tone. Plus, they have "character", which is something that a lot drums nowadays seem to lack without sounding "idiosyncratic", if that makes any sense. Tuning is a breeze, and the design of their tension rods is such that while one can get very incremental adjustments, the drums don't go out of tune as easily as other brands.

Dynaman

Reaction score
Franke, I'd like to know a little more about the 'cabinet makers tricks'.
Can u share. Promise I won't tell.

Scott

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score

Hey, Paul. I've actually just sold the two DW kits I had. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the Tempus. Without opening a major can 'o' worms again, it sounds good and it looks good, but not sure if I need to hold on to it. I would rate the sound of the Tempus kit to about equal to DW/Pearl Masters, which is another way of saying that they're a distant second to the Sonors.

I'm trying to work towards just having one kit that can do everything. I'm at a place in my life right now where I don't have the physical nor the mental space anymore to own so many drums. It feels right to just let loose of a lot of stuff right now, and having something that finally does it all for me probably has a lot to do with how I feel lately.

What makes these the best sounding to me is that the tone is so unbelievably rich and full. There's tons of volume if you want it but at the same time just the lightest touch produces a full tone. Plus, they have "character", which is something that a lot drums nowadays seem to lack without sounding "idiosyncratic", if that makes any sense. Tuning is a breeze, and the design of their tension rods is such that while one can get very incremental adjustments, the drums don't go out of tune as easily as other brands.
Wow, you sold your DW kits? I'm actually shocked because when we talked on the phone you LOVED your DW kits. That Sonor kit must be a helluva drum set. With your retail experience, I definitely respect your comments and thoughts, so I'm going to have to check out a set of Sonors.

And I agree how so many kits nowadays lack character. You have piqued my interest, Frank!

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Franke, I'd like to know a little more about the 'cabinet makers tricks'.
Can u share. Promise I won't tell.

Scott
Well, without divulging too much, here's a hint: folks say that when it comes to fixing dings and such that I'm a real Sharpie.

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice kit, Franke!!

I own Sonor also, albeit they are not at the same level as the Delites or Sig stuff, much less the SQ2.

I really like my Force 3000. "Intermediate" level, but they are the German built ones, made before they moved production of the Force series overseas.

Mine tune well, have great tone, etc. My biggest complaint though, was getting parts fixed while the drums were still in warranty. (This would have been in the mid 90s). Took me almost 5 months to get a replacement rim. One of the rims on my 12" started to flake, and the dealer was on top of it, it just took Sonor quite a while to get a replacement to him for me. I told myself then that as much as I really like my kit, and I still have it, I won't put myself through that again.

Great drums, huge tone and great finishes. I\

Congrats on the score!!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Beautiful Franke..Let's see, have I ever had a Delite? uh.....

oh yeah, now I remember! :blackeye:

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dan, what did you think of the Sonor kit you owned?

Great hat, by the way!