New (to me at least) Sonor Delites

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice score Frank! Cherry birdseye is a sweet finish. I had a long look at the Delites when I ordered my Gretsch kit. Very nice drums.

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
New to Sonor myself, but I have gone the vintage route with these:

I really like that red maple finish - reminds me of Gretsch Red Rosewood.

Nice drums, you will be very, very happy indeed.

Missing Link

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I had bought Sonor Hilites, or Delights rather than my Phonics. They sound absolutely great but they are stupidly heavy. My Phonic 22" Bass drum far outweighs my 26" Ludwig but in build quality there's just no comparison.

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I had bought Sonor Hilites, or Delights rather than my Phonics. They sound absolutely great but they are stupidly heavy. My Phonic 22" Bass drum far outweighs my 26" Ludwig but in build quality there's just no comparison.
In your estimation, which is built better? (stupid question?- obvious answer?)
Ron

Missing Link

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ron
Sonor for sure. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ludwigs but it's like comparing a Chevrolet to a Mercedes Benz or a BMW. Overkill perhaps, but some fine German craftsmanship for sure.
My Luddies are my workhorse set, never have let me down.

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ron
Sonor for sure. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ludwigs but it's like comparing a Chevrolet to a Mercedes Benz or a BMW. Overkill perhaps, but some fine German craftsmanship for sure.
I
I agree completely; in fact, I've used the same auto analogy! :occasion5: I'd extend the analogy: 60s era Premier=Jaguar/Bentley; 50s-60s Gretch=Cadillac/Lincoln.

I've been playing Phonics (18x14,12x8, 14x14) for 26 years. :cool:

Having played Ludwigs... OP's.... I was never impressed to the point of wanting any. :unsure:
Notwithstanding, I just acquired my first (and last) Acro for $99, in order to see what the mystique is, and I have to say I'm impressed! It amazes me that one can have such a well-made, decent sounding drum for so little $$. Lets hear it for the Chevette! :notworthy:
Still, the Acro falls to the bottom of my collection of 14 snare drums, while the Phonic 516 remains solidly at the top.

Ron
View attachment 90124

Missing Link

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ron
I
I agree completely; in fact, I've used the same auto analogy! :occasion5: I'd extend the analogy: 60s era Premier=Jaguar/Bentley; 50s-60s Gretch=Cadillac/Lincoln.

I've been playing Phonics (18x14,12x8, 14x14) for 26 years. :cool:

Having played Ludwigs... OP's.... I was never impressed to the point of wanting any. :unsure:
Notwithstanding, I just acquired my first (and last) Acro for $99, in order to see what the mystique is, and I have to say I'm impressed! It amazes me that one can have such a well-made, decent sounding drum for so little $$. Lets hear it for the Chevette! :notworthy:
Still, the Acro falls to the bottom of my collection of 14 snare drums, while the Phonic 516 remains solidly at the top.

Ron
View attachment 90124
My first set was a DelRey, Asian firewood. Then with my paper route money I bought a Sonor Teardrop set. After that, I couldn't afford the Phonics I wanted so I bought a Rogers big R set and traded in the Teardrops which I regretted doing. After the Rogers came many Ludwig sets and finally I could afford some Phonics. I've heard of people not liking the sound of their Phonics, Bermuda for example, only thing I can imagine was that he got some duds. Mine are the best sounding drums I've ever owned, in fact even with the standard tom mounts they still resonate so freely that I have to use heavy coated heads on them to tone them down a bit. I have 22x14, 13x9, 14x10, 16x16 all in KR and a D-506. I rarely use the 14x10. I do wish they weren't so damn heavy but that's what makes them what they are I guess. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread.

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's a beautiful looking kit you have there Frank. The thinner Sonors have always sounded great to my worn ears.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
...And now that I have a 22 and an 18, I have all bases covered (though I'd love a 20 at the right price)...

Bases or basses???? :wink:

Awesome drums by the way. Not to pry (well maybe to pry a little), will you share what the winning bid was?

I just want to know how much of a pipe dream it is for me to ever afford such a kit...

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sharpie? For real? Excellent results! I thought you were going to give us a "French polish to re-spread the lacquer style answer. And instead the cabinet maker trick that leads to beautiful results is a magic marker? Unreal!

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
...And now that I have a 22 and an 18, I have all bases covered (though I'd love a 20 at the right price)...

Bases or basses???? :wink:

Awesome drums by the way. Not to pry (well maybe to pry a little), will you share what the winning bid was?

I just want to know how much of a pipe dream it is for me to ever afford such a kit...
Since there already was a thread a few weeks back when I won these (started by Coelacanth, I believe, one in which I did finally 'fess up), I'll tell: $710.00 + 9.75% L.A. County sales tax, so around $770.00.

This was one of those things that I didn't expect to win. The kit was being sold on Ebay by one of those "we sell it for you" places, which happened to be located about three miles from my house. The listing was local pickup only. The bidding started at (I think) $500 or so. I guess not that many people saw it or were unable to get the seller to come to agreeable terms regarding shipping, so I threw in a bid not really expecting to win and ....

Needless to say after taking the drums to my car I told the lady at the Ebay store that I should be wearing a mask.

Used, these usually sell in $1600-2000 range. Normally a Sonor Delite would be out of my price range so I consider the whole deal luck/fate. The 18" was NOS purchased through a friend. That cost more than the damn kit, but I ain't complaining. :smile:

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sharpie? For real? Excellent results! I thought you were going to give us a "French polish to re-spread the lacquer style answer. And instead the cabinet maker trick that leads to beautiful results is a magic marker? Unreal!
There is still a dent in the side of the drum - albeit small, but there's not much that I can do about that - but the area where the lacquer was sort of rubbed off into the veneer and past the color was touched up with a red and black Sharpie, followed by a tiny spritz of clear lacquer to seal it. If one swirls the ink around a bit as it is drying with their fingertip, the bird's eye effect will appear.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Great deal on those, dent or no dent.
Where's the Fish? Wben it comes to a Sonor topic, he's like me on anything Ludwig---a fly on stink!

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Great deal on those, dent or no dent.
Where's the Fish? Wben it comes to a Sonor topic, he's like me on anything Ludwig---a fly on stink!
I too am a bit surprised that he hasn't chimed in on this one yet. Perhaps his computer broke?

cdlaine

DFO Star
Reaction score
Franke...

"I'm at a place in my life right now where I don't have the physical nor the mental space anymore to own so many drums. It feels right to just let loose of a lot of stuff right now, "

me too.... problem is finding the motivation to move some of the stuff I have acquired over

the years. So , I guess I haven't reached the point you have.

Franke, those are beautiful drums, pro grade, and can cover a variety of musical genres.

I kind of feel that way about my Recording Customs... now, what to do with the other 5 kits ?

well done... don't often (ever) hear bad things about Sonor... great craftsmanship and musicality.

Play around with the tuning zones and let er' rip. Again...well done.

Peace, Chas

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Dan, what did you think of the Sonor kit you owned?

Great hat, by the way!
How could you not love Sonor's? Sang for days and the build quality is just the best, bar none. Punchy. All familiar birch characteristics (which I like with toms)

Now, the points I didn't care for and why I no longer have them;

I didn't care for the kick. I really couldn't hear the kick sitting on the kit (a problem I have with most if not all birch bass drums I've used).

The power tom sizes. I just don't care for them.