New (to me at least) Sonor Delites

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dan, what did you think of the Sonor kit you owned?

Great hat, by the way!
How could you not love Sonor's? Sang for days and the build quality is just the best, bar none. Punchy. All familiar birch characteristics (which I like with toms)

Now, the points I didn't care for and why I no longer have them;

I didn't care for the kick. I really couldn't hear the kick sitting on the kit (a problem I have with most if not all birch bass drums I've used).

The power tom sizes. I just don't care for them.
The Delites are birch? Really? I thought they were maple, no? So for the upper end Sonor stuff are the SQ2s the only maple drums they make?

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great deal on those, dent or no dent.
Where's the Fish? Wben it comes to a Sonor topic, he's like me on anything Ludwig---a fly on stink!
I too am a bit surprised that he hasn't chimed in on this one yet. Perhaps his computer broke?
The last I heard of Fish (Coel) he was pretty agitated by what happened with the Trey thread. I don't think it was just that thread though since that doesn't seem like his style. My guess is he had some things building up. Just a guess though.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Dan, what did you think of the Sonor kit you owned?

Great hat, by the way!
How could you not love Sonor's? Sang for days and the build quality is just the best, bar none. Punchy. All familiar birch characteristics (which I like with toms)

Now, the points I didn't care for and why I no longer have them;

I didn't care for the kick. I really couldn't hear the kick sitting on the kit (a problem I have with most if not all birch bass drums I've used).

The power tom sizes. I just don't care for them.
The Delites are birch? Really? I thought they were maple, no? So for the upper end Sonor stuff are the SQ2s the only maple drums they make?
I thought they were birch but I just checked the web site and sure enough (North American Maple). Wish Marc (COE) was here to chime in. He'd certainly know if Delites were ever birch or not. Mine were from a few years ago.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
As far as I know the Delite series was always maple. There has been birch shelled drums series just under the Delites. The S-Class was a birch/maple blend (not to be confused with the S-Class Maple), previously there was the Sonorlites which were birch (but this was back when the Signatures were the top-tier line), currently there is the S-Classix, which are birch.

va87

Reaction score
...And now that I have a 22 and an 18, I have all bases covered (though I'd love a 20 at the right price)...

Bases or basses???? :wink:

Awesome drums by the way. Not to pry (well maybe to pry a little), will you share what the winning bid was?

I just want to know how much of a pipe dream it is for me to ever afford such a kit...
Since there already was a thread a few weeks back when I won these (started by Coelacanth, I believe, one in which I did finally 'fess up), I'll tell: $710.00 + 9.75% L.A. County sales tax, so around $770.00.

This was one of those things that I didn't expect to win. The kit was being sold on Ebay by one of those "we sell it for you" places, which happened to be located about three miles from my house. The listing was local pickup only. The bidding started at (I think) $500 or so. I guess not that many people saw it or were unable to get the seller to come to agreeable terms regarding shipping, so I threw in a bid not really expecting to win and ....

Needless to say after taking the drums to my car I told the lady at the Ebay store that I should be wearing a mask.

Used, these usually sell in $1600-2000 range. Normally a Sonor Delite would be out of my price range so I consider the whole deal luck/fate. The 18" was NOS purchased through a friend. That cost more than the damn kit, but I ain't complaining. :smile:

AWESOME!! I got my S-Class Pro in grained maple in a similar fashion. A local salvage store had them on Craigslist. They didn't know what they had! The 8/10/12/14/22 Sonors, a Tama Starclassic snare, Axis pedal, Paiste Signature, 2002, and RUDE cymbals, and a mish mash of hardware for $800!!! I sold the cymbals and some of the hardware and made back just over half of what I spent.....traded the snare for another snare I wanted.
I L O V E M Y S O N O R S !!!!!!! They are hands down the best looking, best made, best sounding drums I've ever had! I have now become a Sonor geek......I am awaiting the arrival of a gorgeous natural maple Force 3005 Bop kit.....10/14/18.....to complete my Sonor conversion.:-D

Your Delites are gorgeous.....I can only imagine how awesome they sound! Congrats on the killer deal.....and enjoy those babys!!

roubaix

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.sonormuseum.com/identify/indentify.html

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
...And now that I have a 22 and an 18, I have all bases covered (though I'd love a 20 at the right price)...

Bases or basses???? :wink:

Awesome drums by the way. Not to pry (well maybe to pry a little), will you share what the winning bid was?

I just want to know how much of a pipe dream it is for me to ever afford such a kit...
Since there already was a thread a few weeks back when I won these (started by Coelacanth, I believe, one in which I did finally 'fess up), I'll tell: $710.00 + 9.75% L.A. County sales tax, so around $770.00.

This was one of those things that I didn't expect to win. The kit was being sold on Ebay by one of those "we sell it for you" places, which happened to be located about three miles from my house. The listing was local pickup only. The bidding started at (I think) $500 or so. I guess not that many people saw it or were unable to get the seller to come to agreeable terms regarding shipping, so I threw in a bid not really expecting to win and ....

Needless to say after taking the drums to my car I told the lady at the Ebay store that I should be wearing a mask.

Used, these usually sell in $1600-2000 range. Normally a Sonor Delite would be out of my price range so I consider the whole deal luck/fate. The 18" was NOS purchased through a friend. That cost more than the damn kit, but I ain't complaining. :smile:

AWESOME!! I got my S-Class Pro in grained maple in a similar fashion. A local salvage store had them on Craigslist. They didn't know what they had! The 8/10/12/14/22 Sonors, a Tama Starclassic snare, Axis pedal, Paiste Signature, 2002, and RUDE cymbals, and a mish mash of hardware for $800!!! I sold the cymbals and some of the hardware and made back just over half of what I spent.....traded the snare for another snare I wanted.
I L O V E M Y S O N O R S !!!!!!! They are hands down the best looking, best made, best sounding drums I've ever had! I have now become a Sonor geek......I am awaiting the arrival of a gorgeous natural maple Force 3005 Bop kit.....10/14/18.....to complete my Sonor conversion.:-D

Your Delites are gorgeous.....I can only imagine how awesome they sound! Congrats on the killer deal.....and enjoy those babys!!
Thanks. I love the grained maple. This is currently available in gloss lacquer on the SQ2 and in sating witb the S-Classix

Scottlogsdon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the Delites and that finish, Franke. I only have one Delite drum - the 125th Jubilee snare - it's a 5x14 Delite shell in a black stain birdseye finish with a special badge. Great sounding snare. I keep lusting over that Delite Bop kit in gloss ebony on eBay, but the price is too much for my wallet.

DrumART Jim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous drums! I've got a huge Delite kit myself (10, 12, 13, 14, 14, 16, 22) that has been my main recording kit for years. I'm not doing much recording anymore so I'm not sure if I'll be keeping it, but it is certainly the nicest kit I've ever owned.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gorgeous drums! I've got a huge Delite kit myself (10, 12, 13, 14, 14, 16, 22) that has been my main recording kit for years. I'm not doing much recording anymore so I'm not sure if I'll be keeping it, but it is certainly the nicest kit I've ever owned.
Let me know if you ever decide to sell the 10. Trying to find other matching drums. Part of my "one world, one kit, please" project for 2011.

DrumART Jim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sure thing -- I'll definitely sell the 10. As a bonus, it comes with a 12, 13, 14, 14, 16 and 22! ;)

madsplash

Martin Van Nostrand
Reaction score
I'll put a Pearl Masters kit up against anything Sonor has ever made................EVER!

Especially build quality. Sound is subjective. We all know that heads and tuning are much more important.

And Pearl Masterworks?.......................................... No finer set of drums has ever been built.

Friggin' EVER!

Hey Dan, with all of the drums you've owned, why none from the number 1 drum maker in the world.....Pearl? I'm curious as to why you haven't owned a high end set from the biggest boy on the block?

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Sure thing -- I'll definitely sell the 10. As a bonus, it comes with a 12, 13, 14, 14, 16 and 22! ;)
Um, not much chance that these will be going for around $800, is there??? ;)

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Somehow Sonor captured the soul of vintage classics and hoo-dood that character into modern tubs. Your DeLites can do it all, and then some. Only modern drums I would seriously consider buying. Good for you, Franke !! Benny K.

Latest posts