New to Me carbon fiber Tempus kit...

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked these up A.TomicMorganic. Great guy to deal with and what a special kit. If you ever have a chance to hear or play these carbon shells you should. The toms are super special with a clarity and tone that is pretty unbelievable. The shells are super thin. I picked this up to be a lightweight smaller gigging kit and is just that. It would be interesting to throw these on a scale as they are super lightweight. I was ready for that but not prepared for how amazing they sound. I have been playing 12,16,24 kits for a very long time and this kit is 10,12,14,20. There is a HUGE tuning range on this. Tom had them tuned pretty tight for his Jazz/Blues playing which he has made a living at for quite a while. Wish I had got some more info on his past as I am sure he has some great stories. Anyway, I was concerned about dropping the tuning down and how they would sound.

The 14" floor has a great rumble to it tuned low. The bass drum I am still playing with but I believe I will go with an Aquarian SK1 and a Regulator resonant head. There is plenty of punch but still wanting a little more boom, but I keep reminding myself I bought this kit to be different not the same as my others. My biggest surprise was that there was a matching shell snare in a 12"x8" size. I really wasn't sure it would be something I would use, but I am really enjoying the sound of this drum. I didn't bring enough cash as I didn't realize it was an option at the time but Tom was nice enough to let me take it and send him the money.

Anyway, if you get a chance to mess around with one of these kits I would encourage you to do so. I thought it would be cool but it immediately is one of my favorite drum kits. Usually it takes me a while to bond with a new set.

Attachments

• IMG_4837.JPG
    IMG_4837.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4839.JPG
    IMG_4839.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 130

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m only familiar with early Tempus stuff.....right after Milestone....and still have a nice Tempus 13x6 snare.
Fabulous drums and in the early daze....like Ayotte and Collarlock...it was cool because if you were in Vancouver you could hang out with the makers.
I’ve never seen those kind of lugs on those kits either.
Most excellent score!!!!!
bt

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tuning range blew my mind as well. My 8 is the same pitch as my Pearl Masters 10 tuned low. The main reason I bought them is because they sound just as full playing soft or loud, brushes or sticks.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
You'll be happy with those. So will the musicians who hire you.

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm very glad that Craig likes the CFs. I hate having disappointed buyers! Sorry to see these go, but all must go before I make my grand exit. Sonor teardrops anyone?

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Played these at band practice last night for the first time. WOW! Sequimite nailed it, they really keep a similar tone when hit hard or soft. Tom purchased the shells off of eBay and then bought the lugs and sent it all back up to Tempus to have them drilled and mounted. I really like the lug choice and have always wanted a center mounted single lug kit.

It is crazy how thin and lightweight these shells are and the tuning range is crazy. They are super forgiving to tune as well. My Ayottes sound great but take a little while to dial in sound wise. These you just turn a few lugs and they sing.

Really happy with the purchase Tom. I will give them a good home. The snare is a big surprise for me. It is really quite versatile. Especially for such a

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I think Tempus drums sound good because of the consistency of shell material and shell thickness.
I've owned quite a few great sounding kits that other drummers and soundmen would comment on but after
I got my first Tempus kit I was getting compliments from guitar, bass and horn players about them.
Enjoy your kit!!

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with an Ayotte set with wood hoops. I lusted after it for years. Tempus cured me. The light Ayotte shells sounded great with brushes. Tempus sounds better IMO.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Played these at band practice last night for the first time. WOW! Sequimite nailed it, they really keep a similar tone when hit hard or soft. Tom purchased the shells off of eBay and then bought the lugs and sent it all back up to Tempus to have them drilled and mounted. I really like the lug choice and have always wanted a center mounted single lug kit.

It is crazy how thin and lightweight these shells are and the tuning range is crazy. They are super forgiving to tune as well. My Ayottes sound great but take a little while to dial in sound wise. These you just turn a few lugs and they sing.

Really happy with the purchase Tom. I will give them a good home. The snare is a big surprise for me. It is really quite versatile. Especially for such a

And oh by the way, they are light, impervious to weather changes and will give more sound for less effort.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I’ve played a Tempus kit for 20 years (fibreglass, not carbon fibre) and it looks and sounds like the day I got them. They are lightweight, the gel coat is tough as nails, tune up easily and sounds great.

But the best thing is we can now talk about them lovingly without getting flamed.