New (to me) Classic Maple

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have no idea but it is as funky as hell!!! The extra two lugs seem to dry out the tone a tad .. Its not cranked . Bottom med/tight.. Top med..
It came with "pursesound" wires but I switched them out to DW truetone wires and ditched the plastic straps and went with Cord...

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know when this is from . The Keystone badge is bigger on this drum than my newer Classic Maple and there are no gaskets..
The throw is super smooth..

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a Classic not Classic Maple. Thick shell? around 1/2 inch? If so it's Maple/Poplar not just Maple. Probably late 80's early 90's when they were doing the "More lugs is better" Great looking drum and I bet great sounding. I have one from 1993 but only 10 lug.

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes it's a thick shell.. Definitely!!!
It sounds great you could prob cover absolutely any style with these two Drums alone.. I have the Ludwig bug for sure
I have made my mind up I'm not do keen on Gretsch snares.. And DW S are just too heavy and over designed for me..
Simple and unfussy is def way I going..

Gerry

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I don't know when this is from . The Keystone badge is bigger on this drum than my newer Classic Maple and there are no gaskets..
The throw is super smooth..
Nice grab on the 6-ply Classic , Gezz.
If there's no date stamp inside the shell, you might be able to grab some idea of when it was made by the badge.
Does yours say Chicago or Monroe?
As for the badge itself, it's the large gold Keystone badge that they started using in the early-mid 80's.
Gold w/white writing denotes a flagship series, like Classic, Super Classic or Classic Maple.
Silver w/black writing would denote a secondary series like a later Rocker drum.
I have the same badge on my '99 9-ply Classic Maple kit....

Last edited:

dangermoney

Reaction score
I agree with the other posters that it's likely an 80's drum. I have a late 80's 4-ply Super Classic kit with a Monroe badge. Don't have the snare though but I would love to get one. I will admit that I am rather fond of the thick shell Ludwig snares from that era.

In any case, congrats on the score. Ludwig makes great wood snares!

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is something wrong with this. While it is a beautiful drum, and i'm sure it sounds good, Ludwig never made a 12 lug drum in 5 or 6.5 depths. The Coliseum was 8x14 and the next size up 12 lug drum would have been the 12 x14 marching snares. The 10 x 14 Deep Rock snare was 10 lug and the 5 amd 6.5 Rock/Concert snares were as well.

Definitely an oddity and possibly a one off, special order drum. Or a well done conversion from a deeper shell.

I have a few different 6 ply snares and agree, they are very versatile and sound great.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
That's true. A 12x14 marcher would be a good candidate to make two snares. Or could be a one off trade show prototype. Either way a fine looking drum.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice looking drum! I love the look of natural maple.
I attached a table from a '88 Ludwig catalog for your reference... Very interesting that it has 12 lugs with that shell depth, I'd love to know that back story of that drum.

Ludwig_Snare_tbl_1988.JPG

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
I called up the shop where I bought this Drum.. He assured me ( being in the drum retail business 30+ years, focussing on second hand and vintage gear) that the Drum has has Not been cut down nor modified in any way..
He has only ever seen one before, another 5x14" that arrived in his shop 9 or 10 years ago.
He checked drum over and all the tell tale Ludwig build and finish were totally consistent with ten lug drums..snare beds.. Lug positioning etc.
He also called Len Howe (classicdrums and absolute expert on Ludwig who knows out own Harry Cangany ..len sadly deceased now) in UK who confirmed that it was INDEED original but super rare as they had only put out a very limited run.
Len himself had one in same finish and same size.. Very early 80's ..
Len also had a couple of 10 lug (yes 10 ,20 in total on drum) factory floor toms..
So I believe this Drum is totally original and you can tell examining it..

Gerry

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Gold with white writing.. Monroe on badge..
Your drum was made between 1985 and 1998.
That's about as close as you can get using that badge, as the serial number dating (which I've never trusted) that people tend to use for the older Keystone badged drums, doesn't apply to the large keystones.

Elvis

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Nice looking drum! I love the look of natural maple.
I attached a table from a '88 Ludwig catalog for your reference... Very interesting that it has 12 lugs with that shell depth, I'd love to know that back story of that drum.

View attachment 390545
Interesting how fads run.
The "Classic" Ludwig wood shelled drum has 8 lugs, but according to that catalogue page, that setup is only available with the Rocker series drums, as if Ludwig were saying, "8 lugs are so passe`".
These days, we're back to an 8 lug standard layout....and some would say, "...as it should be". :-D

Elvis

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw a similar 12 lug snare drum at a music store in Peoria, IL a few years back. It was a 5" wood shell wrapped in WMP with 12 bowtie lugs and a Super Sensitive snare system. Very odd indeed, but it all looked legit and the store owner told me that it belonged to a local drummer of some repute and was there on consignment. The store owner said that their store had special ordered the drum for that guy, built to his specs. I suppose if you knew who to ask (and had some clout as an endorser or high volume seller), and none of the parts had to be custom made, that you could get Ludwig to do something like this, at least maybe at that time.

It was there for at least a couple of years, might still be there now for all I know. I was tempted but it had a hefty price tag on it. Wish I had at least taken a picture of it as it was pretty unique. If not for what I was told I would have assumed it to be some sort of "Frankenstein" build, albeit a very professionally done one.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Ludwig did say, once, that they would do "custom" builds for customers willing to pay extra for the privilege.
Whether that extended back to the time Gezz's snare drum was made, or not, I do not know (Ludwig once also had a reputation for being a bit resistant in bending to a customer's will, too).
There was a movement here (or maybe it was at Harry's old board) that we'd all band together and try to get JR Frondelli to head their "custom shop".
Never happened, but it was a nice thought.

Elvis

Latest posts