New (to me) concert tom kit

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have started down a new path with an orphan kit. I will likely cover all in satin flame.

I will be using a 24” Premier marcher converted to trap bass drum and an 18” double headed floor tom. The 15 and 16” Tama floor toms will be above the floor tom. I will use my Piccolo toms above a double headed rack tom. In essence, it’s a one up, one down with a lot of auxiliary single headed toms. This will be a kit that probably never leaves the house. I could add the Pearl Fiberglass bass drum for giggles.

I guess this kit could be called the orphanage kit LOL

The Tama Concert Toms:

7462FAB1-8CBE-46D6-B5DD-3772393C6DB2.jpeg

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice! I've thought about putting together a little concert tom kit for the house or some fun one-off gigs. Not right for everything, but I do have a soft spot for them being a big Phil Collins/Chico Hamilton/70's Top 40 radio fan!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice! I've thought about putting together a little concert tom kit for the house or some fun one-off gigs. Not right for everything, but I do have a soft spot for them being a big Phil Collins/Chico Hamilton/70's Top 40 radio fan!
It’s so funny because there was a time they were everywhere, then *poof!*, they were out of fashion. I need to figure out heads. Single ply CS?

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good question - I was thinking CS as well. I've seen Pinstripes on Phil's kit.....I've been wondering about Evans Hydraulics, but not sure about that...I've used the Evans mesh head on the bass drum to get the sound without worrying about the edges, going out of round etc...

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I have started down a new path with an orphan kit. I will likely cover all in satin flame.

I will be using a 24” Premier marcher converted to trap bass drum and an 18” double headed floor tom. The 15 and 16” Tama floor toms will be above the floor tom. I will use my Piccolo toms above a double headed rack tom. In essence, it’s a one up, one down with a lot of auxiliary single headed toms. This will be a kit that probably never leaves the house. I could add the Pearl Fiberglass bass drum for giggles.

The Tama Concert Toms:

View attachment 488074
Nice!!! I just bought a set of 10&12 inch 70s Ludwig Concert Toms. There are certain times where you just need that sound for a fill. Danny Seraphine used a combination of concert toms and double head toms for years. He also used an all concert Tom kit. Of course Phil Collins was famous for them. Thank you for sharing.

Attachments

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice!!! I just bought a set of 10&12 inch 70s Ludwig Concert Toms. There are certain times where you just need that sound for a fill. Danny Seraphine used a combination of concert toms and double head toms for years. He also used an all concert Tom kit. Of course Phil Collins was famous for them. Thank you for sharing.
That is a nice set of CT’s you have in a great finish.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my old Pearl fiberglass concert tom kit, Pinstripes all day.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have you tried to remove the wrap on those Tama toms yet? (They look like Imperialstars?) From what I've seen here that wrap can be extremely difficult to remove without tearing out some chunks of wood... They REALLY applied those wraps well. so just take your time.
I always liked black dots on my concert toms, I like the punch and attack you get with them.

Years ago (2007-8 maybe?) long after the concert tom craze was over Chris Whitten went on tour (with World Party I believe) using a beautiful Noble & Cooley concert tom set.. they really sounded great. Maybe he'll chime in here and offer his perspective.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have you tried to remove the wrap on those Tama toms yet? (They look like Imperialstars?) From what I've seen here that wrap can be extremely difficult to remove without tearing out some chunks of wood... They REALLY applied those wraps well. so just take your time.
I always liked black dots on my concert toms, I like the punch and attack you get with them.

Years ago (2007-8 maybe?) long after the concert tom craze was over Chris Whitten went on tour (with World Party I believe) using a beautiful Noble & Cooley concert tom set.. they really sounded great. Maybe he'll chime in here and offer his perspective.
I have not tried to remove the wrap yet, as I have not received them. However, I’ve seen wrap on Tama drums very loose and very tight; it may be that I end up wrapping the rest of the toms in dark blue like what these are supposed to be. Thanks for the suggestion.

Joe61

Reaction score

The Tama Concert Toms:

View attachment 488074
Are those beaver tail lugs?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are those beaver tail lugs?
The Japanese brands copied a lot of different lug designs. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Tama’s style of Beavertails.

I will let you know when I get the drums.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice funeral drums huh I mean when you're "thru".
Or as they are

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be a kit that probably never leaves the house.
that right there could open the pearly gates for ya ; ) it's a decent move ; )
could get you a Free pass right in...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
for a second there Dumpy (between the beautician and the mortician) I forgot you even played drums !

:)