New (to me) concert tom kit

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was Phil Collins’ concert tom Gretsch kit that first showed me how cool a concert tom kit can be. The roar and bite of the toms can’t be ignored. Before that I took them for a typical 70s light rock, disco and pop thing. Not bad, just not that heavy and punchy.

I’d be thrilled to get a concert tom kit going eventually.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It was Phil Collins’ concert tom Gretsch kit that first showed me how cool a concert tom kit can be. The roar and bite of the toms can’t be ignored. Before that I took them for a typical 70s light rock, disco and pop thing. Not bad, just not that heavy and punchy.

I’d be thrilled to get a concert tom kit going eventually.
I think I will be definitely going for the barky Phil Collins sound, though I also am rolling in Keith Moon and Hal Blaine for this weird little kit. My pancake kick will be the gong bass. There will be a lot going on here. Could be a long project...

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I will be definitely going for the barky Phil Collins sound, though I also am rolling in Keith Moon and Hal Blaine for this weird little kit. My pancake kick will be the gong bass. There will be a lot going on here. Could be along project...
Like to see what you build up when it’s done.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toms not big enough for Mongo.
6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 and 80". No not really an 80". I can take the bottoms of an 18 and 20 but they dont sound good without a bottom. You gotta have a bottom if your gonna sit right. right ? right. left left left ! right !

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also mine are Hal Blaine sizes. 7.5x6 , 7.5x8 , 8x10 , 8x12 , 9x13 , 10x14 , 10x15(Hal Blaine didnt use a 15) 10x16 , and 16x16 floor tom without a bottom. No bottom means it cannot sit on the floor it has to have 2 legs and the 3rd.

Hal Blaine A.jpg

Last edited:

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s so funny because there was a time they were everywhere, then *poof!*, they were out of fashion. I need to figure out heads. Single ply CS?
Throw some hydraulics on them bad boys!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 4 orphan Gretsch Drop G concert toms that have some old black hydraulic heads on them. I have the same head on an LA Camco concert floor tom I use with them. They sound great with those hydraulics. The old (different logo) seem different than the newer hydraulics I have on other sets. The old heads seem more rubbery in feel. The newer ones feel and play more stiffly to me. It might be just an old broken in thing vs. new not broken in.

bubo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Tama is spying here... :D -jumping up:

I see prices for used concert toms rising...

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like Tama is spying here... :D -jumping up:

I see prices for used concert toms rising...
I hope so! I have some concert toms I've been thinking of selling.

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice project Dumpy. I've never been a big fan of concert toms but listening to Phil Collins play them was always a treat!!