New to me Ludwig Standard kit (with pics!!!)

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
They should have rerings. It was the same exact shell as the "real" Ludwigs of the day. They applied different hardware and wrap (as a cost savings).
That was it. Same shells.
That's why they sound so freekin phenomenal.
I wonder, if they indeed have re-rings, if they are solid steam-bent maple, or ply.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Standards tend to be mahogany/poplar/mahogany with maple rings, but some may have maple interiors like the post 1968 classics. It's hard to say for certain since all the interiors either had a Reso-coat (white) finish or the Granitone (gray) finish. They were the same shells as Ludwig used in the 60s though. At the time it was cheaper to make one type of shell and use it for everything (classics/club dates/standards). The shells were made in the same way on the same equipment, with the same edges, etc. The cost savings were in the smooth lugs (which could be fully machine polished for plating, the classic lugs required some hand work) and the lighter weight mounting hardware (hoops were the same as other Ludwigs). They also used cheaper grades of wrap which is why the Standard finishes are unique to that line. The metal snares have the same spun aluminum shell as the Acro and Supra but they didn't put a bead in it so it could use the same double ended lug as on the wood shelled snares.

For years you could get these for dirt cheap because the perception was that they were lesser drums but with the birth of forums like this one it slowly dawned on folks that these were full fledged 3 ply Ludwigs, just dressed up a bit differently. I have two Standard sets (lemon strata & gold strata) and one snare in each of the six strata wraps. I'd like to add a bronze strata set someday, but it's not a pressing issue.

If you add a $15 hoop mounted anchor (like Ringo had) to assist the factory spurs they can work pretty well. Your other option, without drilling, which I would advise against on one of these vintage beauties, would be either the Ludwig Atlas mount spurs or the INDe version of the same (a newer improved version from the original designer of the Atlas mounts) both of which replace an existing lug with a combination lug and bracket that can hold a fold out spur. The other option would be Danmar or DW clamp on spurs which clamp onto the bass hoop.

I get along fine with the factory spurs assisted by the aforementioned front anchor. I do use an upgraded tom holder for gigs. This is a modern clamp on ball type unit with a 9.5mm arm. It doesn't require any mod to the bass or tom but works better for me to get the tom where I want it.

DSCN2033.JPG

Last edited:

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wonderful post K.O.!
There truly is a wealth of knowledge within the DFO community.

You confirmed my suspicion regarding wood type and ply layup. Here are a couple of photos of the inside:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Nice! Congratulations on a great score! As for the spurs - maybe try a set of vintage clamp-on spurs? I use some on one of my kits along with a Dixson bass drum lift and it works great - I don’t have to worry about the old spurs, which are set a little too far back and cause the drum to wobble too much for my liking.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice! Congratulations on a great score! As for the spurs - maybe try a set of vintage clamp-on spurs? I use some on one of my kits along with a Dixson bass drum lift and it works great - I don’t have to worry about the old spurs, which are set a little too far back and cause the drum to wobble too much for my liking.
I purchased a set of DW clamp on spurs. Should have them shortly.
I spoke to Josh and he said the INDE ones won't work. Probably because the existing spurs are set too low on the shell. He did say he would be coming out with a solution at some point.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Those drums look clean! Great score! One snare drum I had an issue with was a wood Standard. I could not get it to sound good regardless of multiple heads and tuning. Edges were good and everything looked round. Nothing. I gave up. I can usually paint any turd of a drum to sound good. Not that Standard. I haven’t had experience with the steel drum. Good luck.

Last edited:

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those drums look clean! Great score! One snare drum I had an issue with was a wood Standard. I could not get it to sound good regardless of multiple heads and tuning. Edges were good and everything looked round. Nothing. I gave up. I can usually paint any turd of a drum to sound good. Not that Standard. I haven’t had experience with the steel drum. Good luck.
Thanks Dan!
I found out that the snare is a chrome over aluminum and sounds every bit as good as my other snares seen here. I also have just a plain aluminum Standard.

10.jpg

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Dan!
I found out that the snare is a chrome over aluminum and sounds every bit as good as my other snares seen here. I also have just a plain aluminum Standard.

View attachment 418594
It's the same shell as the other two Ludwigs in the picture. They left the bead off so they could use the same double ended lug as on the wood snares but otherwise it's the same spun aluminum shell.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I purchased a set of DW clamp on spurs. Should have them shortly.
I spoke to Josh and he said the INDE ones won't work. Probably because the existing spurs are set too low on the shell. He did say he would be coming out with a solution at some point.

Nothing wrong with the DW spurs, and maybe Sweetwater had better shipping prices, but FYI to anyone running across this thread, Precision Drum has also offered clip-on spurs for years...so there is an alternative.

Elvis

Latest posts