New to me Round Badge Project

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I just received an exciting project today! Long ago, I had a 60’s RB kit in black diamond pearl and foolishly sold it to fund a prog-sized Keller shell kit. Since THAT kit was stolen, I’ve wanted another RB ever since, only it’s been too tough to fork up the cash.

I finally found a 22/13/16 with snare for a great price due to the numerous flaws that I’ll need to address. The plan is to put some love into it, make it mine, and get it on the road. Here’s where it stands as received:

Snare: 6 Lug Dixieland
- No tag, no silver sealer. Badge appears to be “thin stick” variant. Darker finish than the rest.
- hoops are bent back by pressure of the clips
- renown strainer works perfectly

Bass: 8 lug 22”
- No tag or badge, just an outline of the round badge.
- Rogers spurs, knobby cymbal bracket, and tom bracket, all drilled after factory mounts. Some holes filled, some not.
- Silver sealer in rough shape
- Missing bottom plate of Pratt muffler
- Reso edges have some chips

Floor Tom:
- Missing badge, paper tag 4418 serial 5075
- missing mufflers, otherwise in pretty good shape

Small Tom:
- Badge present, paper tag 4416 serial 53152
- poorly filled muffler and diamond plate holes
- Rogers Swivomatic tom mount
- crack that spans the length of the drum about halfway through the plies

All of them besides the snare appear to have been refinished together. There is an annoyingly minor amount of pitting on the 22/13/16 hardware, but looks good from a couple feet away. Now I’ve got to start pulling all of them apart! Taking suggestions for mounting the small tom and what to do with the finish. It’ll be hard to hide all of these holes. I’ll be selling all of the Rogers hardware and the snare in case anyone’s interested. Thanks for looking!

EBD3ED0B-9015-4709-8202-623ABE96BE2A.jpeg
5228B435-D2F9-46A5-950C-93793DBCD1B9.jpeg
ADCC56AA-446B-41B7-95BE-6DB6CAFB1751.jpeg
5B558F16-3C91-4DBC-8937-64C1C3FEDFA1.jpeg
54CDDAD1-30FA-4F4B-9B5F-6F47ECCA3C98.jpeg
FC7273F9-7E19-48F2-A90C-287479CCCCC2.jpeg

C8BFC4A0-CCCF-4BE0-9FCB-BAB63285B9EA.jpeg

66C4AFBF-6A5B-4933-B4D2-8B66ACF1355F.jpeg

3F8E3074-2D1A-49CE-91E8-EDAD6D99503A.jpeg

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Deconstructed and ready for repair. The Swivomatic parts left some pretty big holes behind. I’m wondering if a dowel/plug will be enough or if I should attempt a fiberglass resin patch.

1FD121D7-5AA4-4A06-8552-A22A439A3BD7.jpeg

DBBEDC4D-1A24-47FA-A98D-E3A0637C5B0F.jpeg

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you plan on wrapping them, then I would consider filling the larger holes with Bondo. If you plan on perhaps doing a color lacquer (i.e. black might be nice), then I'd do the same with the holes but getting the surface into shape will require considerable prep work. Looks like the previously done wood filler was applied rather sloppily so you might want to consider getting some fence paint and cleaning up the interiors. I'd leave the snare alone since its the best looking of the kit. Finally, you could put the Swivo stuff back on (hey, it works), and just play them as is, being that they do have their own sort funkiness.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check head fit on all the drums why not keep the Rogers hardware on them polish em up and play em I'd also keep the snare.
To me they look good as is. maybe some woodworkers oil (or what ever) on em..
that snare you 'lose' that (sell) you lose the 'set' sound of all-entire-Gretsch-sound....
would not part with that can get 302 or 301 or even DC for it.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks fun! Is the snare 3 ply or 6 ply? (I have both - 3 has no sealer, 6 does).......looks older with the clip hoops......

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
all those need to me is elbow grease ; )
inside and out
put em together
Remo head em and Go
Rogers hardware on a Gretsch set is sorta kinda Mitch mitchell sorta Classic...
or something and it's not bad..

Are you planning on transforming them into a front showroom stunning showpiece set.. Wow.
Amazing

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Well, I might keep the Rogers hardware were it not for the way that they were installed. If you’ll notice on the last pic I posted, the spur hardware mounts in a way that it just slightly overlaps the existing factory spur hole. Pretty ugly IMO. I love Rogers spurs but I’m not a big fan of the tom mount.

My initial idea for these was to either strip the existing finish and apply a black stain after doing some diligent prep, or filling holes the easy way with dowels and wrapping in black gloss. Heads fit easily on them as is. I’m just after a slightly classier looking player’s kit, not a restoration!

@JazzDrumGuy it’s a 6 ply!
@JDA I would keep the snare, but I have a 4157 that I love. I’d rather have the extra dough to offset the cost of other projects.:tongue3:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the depth on that 6 lug Dixieland- looks over 5.5?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wood filler will also work once the drums are wrapped, but I think you should refinish a similar color and keep the hoops natural....very vintage vibe!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep. they were 'generous' with the wood on those ; ) thanks.
gonna have a different tone and feel than a 4157; don't sell it fast ; )
I'd knock the beans' outta that snare : ) it's a beaut- almost..

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you think happened with the exterior of these drums @Lee Van Kief
think it's a standard plain out-of-the-factory finish? a pearl wrap peel and stain home job? or what..do you think..
(snare looks original?)

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Looks like 6 to me.......maple int, gum, gum, maple, gum, mahog outer? I am not sure.....but looks like 6. Any Rogers tom arm?
Maybe so! It didn’t come with the arm, unfortunately. Another reason to ditch the Rogers hardware rather than try to find one.

@JDA it’s definitely a refin. Some of the factory holes had been filled and they give it away. I’d be way more reluctant to do anything drastic were it the original finish. The snare...who knows? The badge grommet looks factory, but there’s some sloppy stain/glue/splotch action on the inside as well.

Reactions: JDA

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lee: Welcome back to The Gretsch Family. You have got yourself a nice little project there, thats for sure! I own and play a players Gretsch RB Black Diamond Pearl set.

This set is a tough call, but I've gotta tell you, if it were me, I would keep all the Rogers hardware, as the set has already been drilled for it, and it will be ALOT easier and neater just filling the original Gretsch small holes that arent being used anymore. Then I'd look at all the Drum wrap websites, and find some wrap on closeout sale and go with that. The set would really look new for not alot of money.

I had a similar problem, but on a much smaller scale. My Round Badge Black Diamond Pearl bass drum shell was drilled at the Gretsch factory for a lefty player...who specified a Slingy 4 point rail consolette mount, and a Rogers knobby cymbal mount, and no Pratt muffler. I decided simply to turn the shell around, and find and re-install the same hardware the drum originally had. I think it was the right decision. Best of luck with your set, I know it will sound great! PS.....if you decide the ditch the dixieland snare, I would be interested in the Reknown strainer.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I just received an exciting project today! Long ago, I had a 60’s RB kit in black diamond pearl and foolishly sold it to fund a prog-sized Keller shell kit. Since THAT kit was stolen, I’ve wanted another RB ever since, only it’s been too tough to fork up the cash.

I finally found a 22/13/16 with snare for a great price due to the numerous flaws that I’ll need to address. The plan is to put some love into it, make it mine, and get it on the road. Here’s where it stands as received:

Snare: 6 Lug Dixieland
- No tag, no silver sealer. Badge appears to be “thin stick” variant. Darker finish than the rest.
- hoops are bent back by pressure of the clips
- renown strainer works perfectly

Bass: 8 lug 22”
- No tag or badge, just an outline of the round badge.
- Rogers spurs, knobby cymbal bracket, and tom bracket, all drilled after factory mounts. Some holes filled, some not.
- Silver sealer in rough shape
- Missing bottom plate of Pratt muffler
- Reso edges have some chips

Floor Tom:
- Missing badge, paper tag 4418 serial 5075
- missing mufflers, otherwise in pretty good shape

Small Tom:
- Badge present, paper tag 4416 serial 53152
- poorly filled muffler and diamond plate holes
- Rogers Swivomatic tom mount
- crack that spans the length of the drum about halfway through the plies

All of them besides the snare appear to have been refinished together. There is an annoyingly minor amount of pitting on the 22/13/16 hardware, but looks good from a couple feet away. Now I’ve got to start pulling all of them apart! Taking suggestions for mounting the small tom and what to do with the finish. It’ll be hard to hide all of these holes. I’ll be selling all of the Rogers hardware and the snare in case anyone’s interested. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 487653 View attachment 487654 View attachment 487655 View attachment 487656 View attachment 487657 View attachment 487658
View attachment 487659
View attachment 487660
View attachment 487661
Check out this link. May be of some help. https://www.drumforum.org/threads/filling-holes-in-bass-drum-shell.163442/

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Wow, getting lots of votes for keeping the Rogers hardware! I just don’t think I could abide by the holes left by the original spurs. The person that installed the Swivo stuff used the original spur hole for one of the carriage bolts...looks pretty bad. So I’d want to fill the original hole if using the Rogers, which is a cringey proposition.

89DBE7B6-AA77-4601-9114-E898FEA62A91.jpeg

It also looks like I’d be able to place the small tom closer if I were to use a rail consolette. I’ve experienced a decent loss of resonance when using Rogers tom mounts. Looking at using an Inde BR + one of those massive new DWetsch consolettes. I’d probably come out on top $$$-wise if I sold the Rogers stuff.

Making good headway on getting the hardware cleaned and polished today. Going to cut up some felt to get these springs quieted down.

A310F466-2743-4619-86A0-5FBE4A052684.jpeg
5C0E61F3-9575-463E-B145-26717662AAB2.jpeg

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lee: Welcome back to The Gretsch Family. You have got yourself a nice little project there, thats for sure! I own and play a players Gretsch RB Black Diamond Pearl set.

This set is a tough call, but I've gotta tell you, if it were me, I would keep all the Rogers hardware, as the set has already been drilled for it, and it will be ALOT easier and neater just filling the original Gretsch small holes that arent being used anymore. Then I'd look at all the Drum wrap websites, and find some wrap on closeout sale and go with that. The set would really look new for not alot of money.

I had a similar problem, but on a much smaller scale. My Round Badge Black Diamond Pearl bass drum shell was drilled at the Gretsch factory for a lefty player...who specified a Slingy 4 point rail consolette mount, and a Rogers knobby cymbal mount, and no Pratt muffler. I decided simply to turn the shell around, and find and re-install the same hardware the drum originally had. I think it was the right decision. Best of luck with your set, I know it will sound great! PS.....if you decide the ditch the dixieland snare, I would be interested in the Reknown strainer.
Tangerine sparkle with natural BD hoops would work well for a RB.

Attachments