New to me Round Badge Project

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I would sand the polyurethane. You need to give the contact cement some "tooth" to grip onto the shell. I've also used a sanding sponge on the backside of the wrap to do the same.
The glue may not stick to the existing finish. I don't think you need to sand to bare wood though.
Cool, that was the plan that made the most sense to me. Thanks much!

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
While I’m waiting for the wrap to show up...

I forgot to mention the edges. Both toms are a very similar profile - almost flat, with a very gentle curve on the outside. In any case, way less curve than I’ve seen in others. I’ve read of this edge coming out of the factory during the early SSB era, but from what I can tell, these toms would be pre-Baldwin. No vent holes, and flathead lug screws. Interesting.

Anyone else have these edges? What do you think?

CF6B7EB1-F5BD-46C2-B87E-61035B06A17A.jpeg

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have those edges on my round badge kit, that’s the classic gretsch edge.
My kit sounds fantastic. Rewrapping mine in gloss black also.
Make sure you get the shells smooth, a bad prep job can telegraph through the gloss black wrap!

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a bit difficult to tell from the pic, but the 'height' of the roundover should be significantly less than the thickness of the shell. That is, the radius of the cut (or the router bit) is larger than the shell thickness.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
:evil5:

Finally received the wrap and got it all together! That bass drum is like a punch to the stomach. Very happy with how it turned out. Still gotta fab up a bottom plate for the Pratt and decide if I want internal mufflers, but it sounds spectacular as is. Thanks everyone for the guidance and input!

1D703FA0-9D87-489E-A50D-509C89895C15.jpeg