New to miking drums

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m getting pressure from my new band to buy a set up.
I think I’m sort of at the end of my career, and really don’t want to invest in sound gear.
I have never been in a situation to need a system. If I played bigger rooms in the past, a sound guy always set me up.
In recent years, I’ve exclusively played small rooms, and enjoy playing low volume music.
Now I’m playing on an outdoor stage at a winery, and need to project.
There is a PA, but no extra mikes.
Can anyone suggest a low cost, simple option?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m getting pressure from my new band to buy a set up.
I think I’m sort of at the end of my career, and really don’t want to invest in sound gear.
I have never been in a situation to need a system. If I played bigger rooms in the past, a sound guy always set me up.
In recent years, I’ve exclusively played small rooms, and enjoy playing low volume music.
Now I’m playing on an outdoor stage at a winery, and need to project.
There is a PA, but no extra mikes.
Can anyone suggest a low cost, simple option?
Borrow some SM58s, cables and stands. They'll get the job done on everything. One for the snare, one between the rack toms, floor, kick. That's how I would handle it, short-term.

Dan

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are very cheap options used. Obviously the 57 on snare. Audio D6 on bass drum? Or Shure Beta 52. There's a great Beyerdynamic BD mic. Then one overhead, could be a 57 again, or a cheap condenser (Avenson). Kick, snare and overhead is all you need to project volume. Could be a $500 investment and will be worth the same if and when you sell them on retirement.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought 3 sets of CAD "Premium" drum mics with a case for just 100 bucks each a few years ago. They were at a closeout price on Musicians Friend. I checked Musicians Friend and Guitar Center to see if they still have the sets. They do not carry them anymore but they still show the product.

I was interested in micing my drums but I knew nothing about mics or PA's so I didn't want to spend a lot at first. Athough they are definitely not higher end mics, they sound surprisingly good for the money. The "tom" mics have also worked well for micing guitar cabinets.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you already have mics, I'm not sure I understand. Were you looking for a better set of mics, or do you not have the CAD mics anymore?

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you already have mics, I'm not sure I understand. Were you looking for a better set of mics, or do you not have the CAD mics anymore?
I have the CAD Premium mics and they are working fine for my use which has been our practice space but we plan to use at smaller local venues.

I was "dipping my toes" in the drum micing business so I didn't want to spend a lot at first not knowing much about mics and if I would actually use them.

I went with the CAD Premiums cause they were at a blowout price and had good reviews. Although they are not "Shure" they have been a nice surprise and my bandmates haven't complained.

My point was maybe looking for a deal on something similar might get you what you are looking for without spending a lot.

I guess I didn't state it well.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the CAD Premium mics and they are working fine for my use which has been our practice space but we plan to use at smaller local venues.

I was "dipping my toes" in the drum micing business so I didn't want to spend a lot at first not knowing much about mics and if I would actually use them.

I went with the CAD Premiums cause they were at a blowout price and had good reviews. Although they are not "Shure" they have been a nice surprise and my bandmates haven't complained.

My point was maybe looking for a deal on something similar might get you what you are looking for without spending a lot.

I guess I didn't state it well.
Actually it was my fault for not paying attention. I mistook you for the OP. Apologies for the confusion!

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A sound man used to mic my 2 up/2 down kit with one overhead and a bass drum mic, and that worked quite well.

More recently, but not that recently, I picked up a set of 4 drum mics on a stupid deal for $50. Then wound up buying cables and a 30' 8 channel snake, and some soldering tools and xlr connectors so I could customize the cables for my rack. I could have stopped at the 2 overheads (a pair of Oktavas from GC for $100 about 15 years ago) and kick mic.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's only for one gig the cheapest you could probably get away with is 3 SM57s. If it's a 1-up/1-down setup use one 57 directly over the kit, another on the floor tom side and the third on BD. If the setup has more toms use two overheads and one BD. If you have two BDs you'll need 4 mics. ***DON'T FORGET*** You'll also need stands!

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought 3 sets of CAD "Premium" drum mics with a case for just 100 bucks each a few years ago. They were at a closeout price on Musicians Friend. I checked Musicians Friend and Guitar Center to see if they still have the sets. They do not carry them anymore but they still show the product.

I was interested in micing my drums but I knew nothing about mics or PA's so I didn't want to spend a lot at first. Athough they are definitely not higher end mics, they sound surprisingly good for the money. The "tom" mics have also worked well for micing guitar cabinets.
CAD made some good stuff. I had a set of their drum mics a long time ago. They were cheap and not bad at all. I think I sold them and eventually got higher end stuff, but I later got good deals on an e-100 and a pair of e-200s. Man, those are great for the money. Before I lost interest in home recording, I could get a good drum sound with just those 3 mics.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
check reverb.com. I just found a pair of CAD overheads for 89.99
shure Beta 52A, Audix D6, AKG D112 - each $120 to $165
you can always pick up a used 57 for $80 somewhere.
Then if you want control over things get a small used Behringer mixer and send a line out to the FOH mixer.
Then some used mic stands and cables and you're set. That setup will cover just about any small to medium sized kit and sound good for any outdoor gig or medium sized club like you're doing. That's the setup I've used (with the Audix D6) and it works great! The mixer I use has some onboard effects so I add a little reverb to the snare.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The more mics you use the more problems crop up.
I would definitely consider a two to four mic set up at the most.
Bass drum and one overhead is fine. Most of the drum mic sets are lower quality than buying two to four of the classic drum mics - that will also hold their value.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The more mics you use the more problems crop up.
I would definitely consider a two to four mic set up at the most.
Bass drum and one overhead is fine. Most of the drum mic sets are lower quality than buying two to four of the classic drum mics - that will also hold their value.
Overheads vs. spots depends on how much you have to yell at the drunk bass player to hit the changes or even find the beat. Also bad if you make weird Keith Jarrett sound while you play. Or in my case, if you make jokes about audience members to the aforementioned drunk bass player. No overheads for me, though they can really sound good by bypassing whatever comical overproduction the sound guy has in mind. "Dime the gain! Scoop the mids! GATE ALL THE THINGZZ!!! TRIGGERRRRRZ..." yuck.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want easy? Yamaha EAD10. All in? $500 with and snare trigger if you feel you need one.
If you don’t want to go that route, like others have said, all you need is a kick mic and an overhead at the minimum. I’d use a Audix D6 or Shure Beta52 on the kick and decent OH. I use an Audio Technicia AT3528 or an Avantone CK1.

Last edited:

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Playing outdoors at a winery...I assume we're not talking about particularly loud music here. You may only need one overhead and maybe a mic on the kick as well. Anything more than that is probably overkill/overthinking. 2 57s. Plug in, get just enough level to give yourself a bit of a boost, maybe a little judicious eq, and you're done.