New Tower of Power track!

Reaction score
WOW!!! That warms my heart, David looks and sounds great. I can't even imagine what he's gone through (actually I can a little, which makes it even more amazing to me!)

Is this from a new record? It's the best new track that I've heard from them in a while from them. Nice video too.

I always love hearing the "mad professor of the drums." Check this out, Relaxed, great posture, groove, drums and cymbals sound great, he has an amazing touch. Still one of the most under-appreciated genius' (legends) of the drums, EVER!!!

While we're on TOP. Did anyone get that Live in 1974 recording they put out a while back called "Hipper Than Hip." 2 CD's, great recording (live from a radio broadcast I think) and the band at one of their peaks! Just smoking!!!!!

MSG

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that live radio album was Smokin’!! And yup, they have a new “disc” on the way.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that clip! “Don’t change horses” is one of my favorites!!!!!

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Garibaldi, what an inspirational player.

I went a clinic at GC years ago. There were like five of us there. He was just so graceful and sincere. I was right in the middle of My Great Hiatus from drumming but a friend pulled me along.
I remember this was the first time I’d heard of linear playing, and him saying: “Let’s take a paradiddle and take it away from just the snare drum....”

To sit six feet from him playing that independent volume modulation and ghost notes... I mean those ghost notes could raise the dead.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I heard a new track just yesterday. It was called, "Step Up."

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
They just played in Monterey on 3/6 - I didn't go because I've seen them like 5X and could not make it.....had I known this Corona thing was going to end the world, I would have gone to this last live show ever!!

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
David Garibaldi's work with Wishful Thinking was a big influence on me while in school. Most guys were into Weckl and Colaiuta back then, but I found Garibaldi's stylings more accessible, and I related more to his approach with groove and phrasing in a fusion context than I did the big names.

-

MntnMan62

Reaction score
DG even gets a little spotlight!

Wow. Thanks for posting that. I didn't know they had come out with anything new. I have to say I really really like this tune. Probably the best new tune of theirs that I've heard since, well, the good ole days. This just sounds more in keeping with the older TOP sound. I was never a huge fan of stuff like Diggin' on James Brown or Soul Side of Town or Oakland Zone or Soul with a Capital "S". But this sounds great. Interesting to see Gino's brother, Joe Vanelli in keys. Nice to see Franco has recovered and is back on bass. Garibaldi sounds slick and awesome as usual. I still say Lenny needs to leave SNL and take up the lead sax role again. He's totally irreplacable. I LOVE Tower. I can't even count how many times I've seen them. I've taken my son to see them when he was much younger. I think he'd enjoy seeing them again with his more mature ears at the ripe old age of 17. I guess we'll catch them for the coming tour.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Wow. Just listened to most of the album. Look in my eyes is probably my favorite tune. But the two Eastbays in the beginning and end are very cool as well. Nice album. Thanks for letting us know. I'm going to pick up the CD.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
But the two Eastbays in the beginning and end are very cool as well.
whats That? Is there something like Oakland Stroke that fades in the beginning and returns at the end of the "album"?
no sheeet...cool

Last edited:

Latest posts