New Vintage Series Sonor.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have not heard a lot about the stock snare drums with these new kits. Are some of you reluctant to say anything negative about the kit, esp the snare drums?
I would need to hear much more about them before i drop for a kit

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Vintage Series snares are superb. I've owned both the 5.75" and the 6.5". I suspect they're a bit of a sleeper for Sonor, but I would easily rank them in the top 5 of all the snare drums I've owned.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am a Sonor man. I don’t have a tremendous amount to add on the Vintage series but my sense is that the line is not the success that was hoped for.

If you are nostalgic for Vintage era Beech Sonor you can buy a Phonic kit for a third the price and get the real deal. I think the Phonic kits s better looking to. Especially the lugs.

The offset lugs on the Vintage series snare bother my sense of aesthetic. What is the purpose of that? Too cluttered and you have just drilled twice as many holes in your shell than necessary.

Sonor was sold in 1991, first to Hohner then to KHS. If you want real Sonor era drums you have to buy them before that.

fenrir

Reaction score
I am a Sonor man. I don’t have a tremendous amount to add on the Vintage series but my sense is that the line is not the success that was hoped for.

If you are nostalgic for Vintage era Beech Sonor you can buy a Phonic kit for a third the price and get the real deal. I think the Phonic kits s better looking to. Especially the lugs.

The offset lugs on the Vintage series snare bother my sense of aesthetic. What is the purpose of that? Too cluttered and you have just drilled twice as many holes in your shell than necessary.

Sonor was sold in 1991, first to Hohner then to KHS. If you want real Sonor era drums you have to buy them before that.
These drums are intended as a modern reinterpretation of Teardrop kits. Phonics, while beech, sound totally different.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Sonor. I toyed with this series until I realized I wanted to get a trucker hat and go back to Ludwig.

In all my beginning deep dive of research I don’t recall reading anything negative about the snares. Never got to play one though.

Ok then. I guess that’s not much help.

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a great deal on a Sonor Vintage kit from Maxwells a few years back included the awesome 5.75
IMG_1203.JPG
snare. When I had to sell the kit I tried to hold on to the snare, but the kit sold much faster with the snare. I found it crisp, responsive from the edge all the way in, easy to tune up or down, beautiful finish & hardware.

Last edited:

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is a beautiful kit, one of the nicest i,ve seen. I have the 60,s version, same finish and its a gem for sure. I have never owned 150 high end kits!! or even close to it, but i do know whats worth hanging on to from a players perspective. Sonor is different from the rest, are they "better"?..how can they be better, and at what? All i know is that they built them with me in mind!:D