New Wuhan Ora Low Volume Cymbals Review.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a chance and ordered Wuhan's new low volume cymbal pack because of the low price.

They aren't close to as low volume as I hoped. Not close to Zildjian L80s at all. They have an incredibly high pitched ping. Hi hat chicks are almost deafening. Like giant tambourine jingles in my ear. The crashes are lower in volume than a normal crash, maybe between half and 1/4 as loud. The ride is pretty piercing as well. Overall pretty disappointing, but maybe I can experiment with coatings that will cut those high frequencies down.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a chance and ordered Wuhan's new low volume cymbal pack because of the low price.

They aren't close to as low volume as I hoped. Not close to Zildjian L80s at all. They have an incredibly high pitched ping. Hi hat chicks are almost deafening. Like giant tambourine jingles in my ear. The crashes are lower in volume than a normal crash, maybe between half and 1/4 as pound. The ride is pretty piercing as well. Overall pretty disappointing, but maybe I can experiment with coatings that will cut those high frequencies down.
Damn! I had high hopes!!

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to spray the undersides of these cymbals with something. I've got a can of self etching primer, maybe that will be enough. If not, maybe I'll go over that with a textured spray paint.

I've never played hats with my left foot and had them hurt my ears before.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bummer. Any chance of returning them before you modify?

If not, I wonder if the plasti-dip spray would help? If it didn't, you could hopefully peel it right off.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer. Any chance of returning them before you modify?

If not, I wonder if the plasti-dip spray would help? If it didn't, you could hopefully peel it right off.
I don't think so, I got a super cheap drummingdeals.com deal, which means only return if defective. And I've already applied my first thin coat of primer, so I'm in for the long haul with these now. Taking one for the team here. :)

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Sorry, You went through this. For me personally, I’d rather swing on a wood block than play Wuhan. I owned a 12” China from them years ago and had it stacked. Sounded great, til one day...it didn’t. Not for me.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, You went through this. For me personally, I’d rather swing on a wood block than play Wuhan. I owned a 12” China from them years ago and had it stacked. Sounded great, til one day...it didn’t. Not for me.
To be fair to Wuhan, I didn't expect these to sound good. I just expected them to be quiet. The goal being practice cymbals that feel like metal and vaguely sound like cymbals. They just aren't that quiet. But after all this primer and paint, I think the awful high pitched noise will be gone.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I think I'm going to spray the undersides of these cymbals with something. I've got a can of self etching primer, maybe that will be enough. If not, maybe I'll go over that with a textured spray paint.

I've never played hats with my left foot and had them hurt my ears before.
Spray them with Plasti-Dip. I think that is your best bet. They might actually be usable as practice cymbals after that.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Primer, paint, and a clear coat enamel. 48 hours to cure, then I'll know if I did any good.

20200920_194052.jpg

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update. The paint job really toned these down. Actually a little too much, but that's fine. The quieter the better for me, and they still feel like metal! Perfect.

Well, almost perfect. The hats are STILL too loud. This particular frequency is just an ice pick in my ear drum. Gaff tape around the edge of the bottom hat took care of it though. Now I can stomp on it at a reasonable volume.

Overall, happy with how it turned out for the money I have in them. $150 shipped for the cymbals, $15 for the spray paint and primer.

Verdict: Buy the Zildjians.