new Yamaha Recording Custom metal snares

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I feel like there are lots of good available (quite similar) snares already on the market. But those still sound nice.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
AtlantaDrumGuy said:
I feel like there are lots of good available (quite similar) snares already on the market. But those still sound nice.
I tend to agree with you. They sound good, look good, I'm on a major Yamaha fetish phase, but it's still probably not enough to get me to sample at that price point and given I have similar versions of each (mostly Ludwig).

R

RickP

The Aluminum model intrigues me. I saw the brass model at forum member Murat's shop and was really impressed with the build quality. It has the excellent new Yamaha strainer. Looks great. I already have two brass snares n that size so I am good for brass snares. The aluminum version looks cool though.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha fan here and the brass (my favorite) is intriguing. However, IMO Oriollo seems to have the best value going for a well-crafted metal snare - and seamless (if that feature in particular tickles someone's fancy). I want to see what Oriollo comes up with for a brass snare.

Sonorlite

Forgive him for he knows not what he does.
Reaction score
drumnhands said:
Both of the aluminum shells are seamless, the brass and stainless steel have seams.
I have to ask DNH. Why is the Ali shell the only one that is seamless. Are the others sourced elsewhere?

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
drumnhands said:
Both of the aluminum shells are seamless, the brass and stainless steel have seams.
Good to know sir, thanks. I don't get wrapped around the axle about that detail, but it's nice to have the info.

joihjoll

Reaction score
I have the 14"x5.5" aluminum model. I'm really happy with it!
It has a dry/dark sound character that I really like. Quality is 100% like all Yamaha drums and the matt look is beautiful. The drum is light in weight but has a big sound.
It comes with regular 20 strand snare wires but included in the box are special Steve Gadd 10 strand wires that I have not tried yet.
I have also played the 14"x6.5" aluminum, 14"x5.5" brass and 14"x7" steel versions. All drums are absolute killer!
I highly recommend this new series of Yamaha snares!

Attachments

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Matt Middleton said:
I have an 81 14x5.5 steel. Kills
I recently got a mid-80's 14x6.5" and it sounds great. Seamless steel shell, 8-lugger. $85. I think these are hidden gems.

R

RickP

joihjoll said:
It has a dry/dark sound character that I really like. Quality is 100% like all Yamaha drums and the matt look is beautiful. The drum is light in weight but has a big sound.
It comes with regular 20 strand snare wires but included in the box are special Steve Gadd 10 strand wires that I have not tried yet.
I have also played the 14"x6.5" aluminum, 14"x5.5" brass and 14"x7" steel versions. All drums are absolute killer!
I was at a local shop yesterday that had examples of all these new snares in stock and I got to give them a good test run, tuning them I
and down and to my ear the aluminum was the clear winner . The brass and steel are really nice but the aluminum just had so much of everything. It was sensitive, fat, resonant . The new strainer is a real winner. The Aluminum is incredibly lightweight as well. I am generally a brass shell fan when it comes to metal shell snares. The RC aluminum has really made me rethink my preferences.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
I was at a local shop yesterday that had examples of all these new snares in stock and I got to give them a good test run, tuning them I
and down and to my ear the aluminum was the clear winner . The brass and steel are really nice but the aluminum just had so much of everything. It was sensitive, fat, resonant . The new strainer is a real winner. The Aluminum is incredibly lightweight as well. I am generally a brass shell fan when it comes to metal shell snares. The RC aluminum has really made me rethink my preferences.
Interesting, thanks for the review Rick.

Also interesting that they went with die cast hoops on the aluminums. I wonder why? But it sounds like you liked it... Seems like potential to dry out further a fairly dry drum.

drumnhands

Reaction score
The hoops on the aluminum snare are aluminum die cast, the same ones that are on PHX and Absolute Hybrid Maple. The hoops are incredibly light, so they don't choke a drum like zinc die cast some times does. You still get the sharp rim shots and accurate tuning, without all the added mass.

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The aluminum die cast hoops are great.
It's odd that no one else offers them. They do the job of a cast rim without the weight.

R

RickP

To me the aluminum diecast are a near perfect hoop - they sound more open than zinc diecast, yet they hold tuning and ease tuning and rim shits and dim clicks sound great on them .

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bumping this topic back up after watching this very thorough review:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts