new Yamaha Recording Custom metal snares

R

RickP

image.jpeg

I bought the Aluminum 5.5" and swapped the stock snares out for the included ten strand twisted set. This is one seriously versatile snare drum. I have used this snare now with a 21 piece Big Band and an amplified Classic Rock Band and it worked well with both. Crisp and articulate enough for brush work and does the fat backbeat when tuned down a bit . Darn these weigh so little it still surprises me every time I lift them up.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
image.jpeg

I bought the Aluminum 5.5" and swapped the stock snares out for the included ten strand twisted set. This is one seriously versatile snare drum. I have used this snare now with a 21 piece Big Band and an amplified Classic Rock Band and it worked well with both. Crisp and articulate enough for brush work and does the fat backbeat when tuned down a bit . Darn these weigh so little it still surprises me every time I lift them up.
Drum looks amazing. Stop making me want to keep my sensitone aluminum!

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
image.jpeg

I was hoping you'd chime in Rick with an update, now that you've had yours for a while. I knew you liked it initially. The aluminum ones especially sound cool in demo videos I think.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
The 6.5x14 RC aluminum is my priority snare now. Just an all around great sounding drum. Light, crisp, and full of chunk if you need it.

bernard

Reaction score
RickP said:
image.jpeg

I have wanted a lightweight Aluminium snare for some time, need to check this out.

R

RickP

hefty said:
image.jpeg
I was hoping you'd chime in Rick with an update, now that you've had yours for a while. I knew you liked it initially. The aluminum ones especially sound cool in demo videos I think.
Hefty,
It is a joy to play. I am really liking a Remo CS batter on this drum currently. The light weight aluminum die cast hoops are really well suited for this shell.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up my 6.5x14 Seamless Yamaha Aluminum Recording Custom drum last week and used it for last weekends activities. I, too, am using a Coated CS Reverse batter and swapped out the snares for my favorite Gretsch wires and the drum received a lot of thumbs up. The die cast hoops are a joy to play on and the drum has the nice aluminum high end sizzle, but still has tons of beefy OOMPH. I like it a lot.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
So for you aluminum RC owners, how do they differ from a supra? Both are thin, seamless aluminum shells with an outer center bead. Seems like the hoops would be the only big difference (maybe that's a pretty big difference)... That strainer looks nice, but that's a secondary consideration to me. I wonder if you put those aluminum die casts on a supra if you'd have a very similar sounding drum.

R

RickP

The supras are much heavier and I contribute that to the steel hoops versus aluminum and I believe the shell is thicker on the Ludwig .

Yamaha PROS
Lightweight
Better strainer
Aluminum diecast hoops - keep drum in tune better
Seamless shell

Ludwig PROS
Classic design and sound
Available with Imperial lugs or tube lugs
P86 is a nice strainer - P85 not as much
Collectors desire them

If we are looking at a sonic comparison .
I think the RC has a fatter fundamental but retains crispness . Ludwig has that classic honk that we hear in all our favourite records.
The rimshot and rim clock sounds are. Ice to my ear with the Yamaha .

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
The supras are much heavier and I contribute that to the steel hoops versus aluminum and I believe the shell is thicker on the Ludwig .

Yamaha PROS
Lightweight
Better strainer
Aluminum diecast hoops - keep drum in tune better
Seamless shell

Ludwig PROS
Classic design and sound
Available with Imperial lugs or tube lugs
P86 is a nice strainer - P85 not as much
Collectors desire them

If we are looking at a sonic comparison .
I think the RC has a fatter fundamental but retains crispness . Ludwig has that classic honk that we hear in all our favourite records.
The rimshot and rim clock sounds are. Ice to my ear with the Yamaha .
P.S. Ludwig shell is also Seamless. I think these drums sound very different from one another. The Yamaha sounds more hi-fi to my ears, but I am a big fan of the Ludwig 402 too. I would say that the Yamaha has more high end "sizzle" and more low end OOMPH. Rick's comment on the Ludwig having that "honk" is spot on... It is something that most of our ears have become accustomed too with Ludwig metal snare drums. Having both is very nice! :icon_smile:

BTW: That "sizzle" that I mention is something that reminds me of Dunnett Titanium snare drums...it is something that the Yamaha Aluminum has in common with it.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I ended up getting the 6.5" aluminum version a couple months ago-- I love this drum! I'm playing louder rock these days but it could be used for anything I feel like. I love the hoops. It feels like I can get a variety of rim shot back beats. Actually i can get a variety of sounds from the drum in general. Anyway, had to share...

IMG_3238.JPG

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
RickP and Treviso1: you guys rock. Thanks!
Thanks Hefty,
Great choice on the snare drum. Enjoy it !
My pleasure! Rick was the leader of the pack on this one and recommended it to me as well. I haven't taken it off my main kit snare stand since taking delivery. It is a very versatile drum, sounds great, and light as a feather. The perfect gig drum!

Aahad Nayani

Reaction score
I have the 14"x5.5" aluminum model. I'm really happy with it!
It has a dry/dark sound character that I really like. Quality is 100% like all Yamaha drums and the matt look is beautiful. The drum is light in weight but has a big sound.
It comes with regular 20 strand snare wires but included in the box are special Steve Gadd 10 strand wires that I have not tried yet.
I have also played the 14"x6.5" aluminum, 14"x5.5" brass and 14"x7" steel versions. All drums are absolute killer!
I highly recommend this new series of Yamaha snares!
Which one in your opinion sounds big and loud and adds versatility?

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which one in your opinion sounds big and loud and adds versatility?
I have tried them all and I would have to say the Steel in my opinion. It killed in every spectrum for me. I have an 80's model 8 lug seamless steel 6.5x14 Yamaha snare that I got for $80 (these have the same seamless shell as the Recording snares) that is such an outstanding drum. It can tune to any range, it is sensitive, musical, has a great decay without too much ring without using any muffling. Stellar drum.

Targalx

Reaction score
I have tried them all and I would have to say the Steel in my opinion. It killed in every spectrum for me. I have an 80's model 8 lug seamless steel 6.5x14 Yamaha snare that I got for $80 (these have the same seamless shell as the Recording snares) that is such an outstanding drum. It can tune to any range, it is sensitive, musical, has a great decay without too much ring without using any muffling. Stellar drum.
Yes. I see these from time to time for fairly cheap (not $80 cheap, but $150-ish), yet they are not cheap sounding.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can find the 1980's metal Yamaha SD 500 / 550 for that $70-$100 price. But the next level up 750 / 755 / 765 drums are usually closer to $150. I think the shells are the same....but the 700 series come with snare wire extension brackets. They are similar to the Recording Custom metal snares only with 8 lugs.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the aluminum shell RC snare briefly and didn't really care for it.
It had some higher pitched overtones that were a challenge to dial out.
Tried different heads, tunings, etc. but went from too much ringing to dull, w/o a sweet spot.
I love the lightweight die cast aluminum hoops, but perhaps they contribute to those annoying overtones?

That said, I do have a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid shell pack toms, which are also aluminum rims.
And they sound excellent to me. So, might just be a snare, with tighter tuned heads, issue.
For reference, I have aluminum snares from Pearl, Tama, and Ludwig without this issue.

I should have tried some steel rims while I owned it, to see if the sound changed.