header.nohb.html

New Year Drumming Resolutions...

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
We all make New Year's Resolutions (lose weight, exercise, stop smoking, etc..), but what are some of your drumming goals for the year? I have a few:

1) Continue taking lessons - I have had a few lessons with jazz drummer, Bob Meyer, over the past year. We have been working on some specific technique things, as well as working on some things out of the Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer book. It has greatly helped my feel and interpretation of songs in my own little jazz project.

2) Stick Control/Gaddiments - Both great books, and I'd like to commit practice time to both on a daily basis.

3) Play with people - Gigs are scarce these days, but I honestly don't care too much about that, as long as I have people to play music with. Right now, my jazz project is mostly a rehearsal room thing. I'm sure some gigs will come eventually, but in the meantime, regular, consistent jam time is important.

4) Vintage - I have a few vintage drums that are mainstays in my small collection. I hope to add a couple more drums to that this year. I lean towards Slingerland, so another Radio King is always the goal.

Love to hear some of your goals to become a better musician for 2022!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've resolved to understand why some have 5,6,7,8,9,10 and more drumsets ......6,7,8,9,10 and more snare drums.
It's just in the last year hitting me.
They have or have made the space!
Now I understand why some are attracted have constant attraction to drums like buying new furniture or food shopping.
Can't subscribe to it (may never will) But Now I understand. You have or make (somehow) the Space.

I never made 'much of a space' for drums in the house.
I always thought they at best "got a corner" or side of a garage.

I resolve to accept and understand those that have. And do.
sorta. Drum houses. Interesting concept. You accumulate (desire and indulge) with unrestricted space.
And I all this time thought it was just being unable to focus.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
If I had the Space..I'd have:..

60s Ludwig Hollywood 20 (rare) /12/12/16 to remind me of my youth.
70s later Premier. Twin Tom with the later bullhorn tom holder. To absolve myself of the nasty early 70s set I had.
Slingerland set. 20/12/13/14 maybe silver sparkle. Because I saw one once and hey it's Slingerland.
Rogers. probably a memri loc set because I saw one up close once and liked it.

Still would have my 2 (and a half) Gretsch sets.

Would I add a Japanese? What the Heck. I have fantasy Space. Let's see..
Tama. the rarest of all. Trad Size granstar Elvin type

You see how this could get out of hand?

gotta have a Yamaha BeBop somewhere
no Sonor unless it was incredible deal
probably an early sharktooth be my Ed Black well fantasy set
hopefully satin flame
gotta have Satin Flame somewhere.
and I'd indulge one of these

So glad I don't have the Space

Last edited:

Omega27

Reaction score
Start taking lessons again after a decades-long hiatus from the same great teacher that taught me way back when. And most importantly, stick with it this time!

Kevin616

Reaction score
I definitely need to practice more. With this new direction in the pipe band, I can't just groove and improvise like in a rock band. I need to be focused, and exact.
I'd also like to start with lessons again, but I have a feeling that it may be tough to find someone who does this in my part of NJ.

Omega27

Reaction score
I definitely need to practice more. With this new direction in the pipe band, I can't just groove and improvise like in a rock band. I need to be focused, and exact.
I'd also like to start with lessons again, but I have a feeling that it may be tough to find someone who does this in my part of NJ.
Hey Kev,
I'm in north jersey- essex. Got a few names up here if it helps. Let me know.
Ralph

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like the OP mentioned, I’ve been revisiting Advanced Techniques as well after a very long time, and have been adding some elements to increase the independence factor when doing those exercises. Wonderful book.

Document the 4-way coordination exercises I’ve been developing and “do something with them” lol.

I’ve been focusing on brushes as well. I’ve always played them, but I’ve really been honing in on smoothing out some unfavorable habits to develop a more fluid hand technique.

Happy New Year everyone!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've resolved to understand why some have 5,6,7,8,9,10 and more drumsets ......6,7,8,9,10 and more snare drums.
It's just in the last year hitting me.
They have or have made the space!
Now I understand why some are attracted have constant attraction to drums like buying new furniture or food shopping.
Can't subscribe to it (may never will) But Now I understand. You have or make (somehow ..even) the Space.
I never made 'much of a space' for drums in the house. I always thought they at best "got a corner" or side of a garage
But I resolve to accept and understand those that have. And do.
sorta. Drum houses. Interesting concept. You accumulate (desire and can indulge) with less restrictive space.
I all this time thought you were just being unfocused.
Until last year I had a separate house in my backyard for drums …I got rid of a lot of stuff when I sold that house .
I had one room completely full of bicycles too . Sold every single one .
Got rid off sold gave away 4 kits .

Reactions: JDA

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no resolutions to stay on topic .
I’ll just continue being frustrated with it .
It’s worked so far .