New Year's eve gig

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Im old enough that i remember back in the old days I had a news years Eve gig every year...often booked many months in advance.

Then the DJs took over

Then the money got thin

Then i just said no no no

I have no interest anymore in driving at 1-2am...maybe in bad weather for low$...especially if its background music...

Now if it were a concert with hip musicians...nice audience?

I would love it

Ive had a few beauties over the years

9-12...great crowd...jazz quartet , great money...

And some not so great ones...

Retirement home...8-12:30, no heat, no alcohol, worried someone would die during a song...leader only gave us three 15 minute breaks the whole night!

Oh...no food...just cheese and saltines and fruit punch

Ha ha

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I gig every New years eve, it's the most lucrative time of the year for us.
Tomorrow night's gig is one mile away 8 to midnight and my drums are still set up there from Saturday night
Congratulations

Have fun

Reactions: JDA

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I had one, but I subbed it out: 9-12 at our steady Friday night location. I have no interest driving at 1am with the NYE drivers. With two little ones at home, I try to limit my gigging to 1-2x per week, and I'm already playing Friday and Saturday this coming weekend.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Playing 8:30 to 12:30, 4 sets, doing our usual stuff. Going to dinner with wife before gig, staying in a hotel on points. If I consider the hotel as free I'll still clear enough bucks to make it worth while, while living the dream.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I didn't see even any advertisements in the paper concerning NYE. maybe it's been cancelled.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you all playing oldies/rock/jazz?

What kind of music?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whats cymbals and heads and sticks are you using?

Just kidding

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I played a New Years gig once. I don't remember the year but I'm thinking it was 1980 or 1981. Played in a bar on Long Island. We did mostly R&B. Stuff you could dance to. Some Chaka Khan, Michael Jackson, Earth Wind and Fire. It was a lot of fun. I think I ended up with $100 in my pocket that night. I was maybe 19 or 20 years old and was amazed that someone would pay me to do what I enjoy doing. I'm now old, and facing retirement. Funny thing is, I wouldn't mind playing a New Year's Eve gig if one were to come up. But first I need to bone up on my chops and find some people to play with. In due time.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Standards ARE oldies.
Ha ha

Define "Flair"

Ha ha

Depends on what your definition of FLAIR is.

10 Lug

Reaction score
Standards ARE oldies.
Ha ha

Define "Flair"

Ha ha

Depends on what your definition of FLAIR is.
Your right, standards are oldies. I thought you meant the Doo Wop era.
Define Ha Ha

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Used to consistently play NYE parties at houses, because we could crank it all the way up and neighbors wouldn’t (or couldn’t) get the cops over to break it up. “They’re too loud” doesn’t work at 11:59 p.m.!

Going to see a concert tonight, instead of playing one. I like being in the audience every once in a while.

Reaction score
Yup, always working on NYE, usually (like tonight.) playing jazz. Have to like when one night can pay my months mortgage. Sure I'd rather be home chilling, and drinking some adult beverages with the wife and friends. But I can do that for the rest of the month, based on tonights income. But I never drink at the gig, and am always SUPER aware of the idiot drivers on the roads. Defensive driving is an art form.

Gotta go.....
Happy and heathy to everyone!!!!!!
MSG