New York Noo York

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ever since I moved to Brooklyn 6 months ago, I haven't be able to play my kit. My blue strata Standards are still in Toronto. Sitting around collecting dust and making me quite bummed out. I know there are alot of New Yorkers on the board, so I ask... where do you play/keep your kit?!?!

I want to be able to practice once a week at the very least, and also play on my drumset. I also don't want to pay exorbitant studio rental fees.

What do YOU do??

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your best hope is to go on the craigslist/musicians board and look for or post what you're looking for. If all you want is once a week, it'll probably be more likely that you'll be playing someone else's kit in a shared studio situation. You could also be in a band that shares the cost of a studio space and hopefully use your own gear. Though the band may also be sharing the room with other bands. It ain't easy.

I didn't practice at all beyond the practice pad for the first 8 years of living in nyc, but in the past couple years i've had some extra money to spend on a studio space. I do it at Flood Studios in Brooklyn.

DrumBob

DFO Star
Reaction score
BTW, it's "Noo Yawk." That's OK, you're from a foreign country. ;-) ;)

Seriously, you might want to invest in a practice pad set or a cheap electronic kit and practice with headphones. Might be better than renting a studio every week.

Good luck.

pete

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
my band rents space from another band who found a place in the queensboro plaza area. very industrial, lots of warehouses and machine shops of all sorts. they rent the top floor (two small rooms) above one of those shops. two of the members live there! it's not exactly cheap and we only get two days a week there unless the other guys are on the road. but we do store our stuff there.

i'm really fortunate though in that i can keep a very small practice kit (bass, snare and hats) at work and play after everyone has left.

there are rehearsal spaces that will give drummer only rates. haven't checked on those prices in quite a while though.

there's a slim chance the band we share with will leave this year and we'd attempt to take over. if that happens we'll need someone to share time with. i'll let you know. then there would be two blue strata kits there!