New Zildjian K Sweet Cymbals

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe most have seen the prototypes of these already, but since they're officially coming, I thought I'd make a thread for these.

I'm very interested to see how much more or less definition the 23 will have than my 24 K Light Ride. Also really interested in swapping my regular 20" K Thin for a 20" K Sweet Crash!

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am definitely interested in some kind of 17" or 19" crash. I have heard the prototypes and am not totally sold but I always feel like they may tidy them up a bit and am also interested to see if they do the cluster crash thing.

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
MillerMav said:
I am definitely interested in some kind of 17" or 19" crash. I have heard the prototypes and am not totally sold but I always feel like they may tidy them up a bit and am also interested to see if they do the cluster crash thing.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cluster crash?

Doosh

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
aparker2005 said:
I'm very interested to see how much more or less definition the 23 will have than my 24 K Light Ride. Also really interested in swapping my regular 20" K Thin for a 20" K Sweet Crash!
The 23 sweet in either A or K flavors is pretty killer. I have both now -- A production and K proto.

I do like the K better. Still has good stick, but the wash is richer and does not have the high frequency sheen/ring typical of the A line. Like the A Sweet, the crash is excellent, and if you ride it hard you can make a wall of wash. (I never do -- but it's there if you want it)

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it has more ping than the 24 K Light I may just have to switch. The 23 A was all wash for me

Doosh

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
aparker2005 said:
If it has more ping than the 24 K Light I may just have to switch. The 23 A was all wash for me
They are similar. I liked the A tho...

jb78

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the aim of these cymbals are? Where are they supposed to fit in the spectrum of Zildjian's offerings?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking foward to the 23" K. From the videos I've sern it seems both jazzy and rocky.

ncdrumr

Reaction score
I played a 20" K sweet crash in GC in Asheville, NC yesterday. Very nice! It has some nice shimmer, but more 'guts' to the sound than the A custom crash of the same size.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PressRoll said:
The cluster crash came along with the "extra thin" prototypes that are floating around places like DCNH and the like. They are extra thin but have clusters of hammer marks in random areas to "trash" them up a bit. All you can find for sale now are the 16/17/18" crashes but there was a 19" at one point in time and that thing sounds amazing.

Z

zenstat

MillerMav said:
The cluster crash came along with the "extra thin" prototypes that are floating around places like DCNH and the like. They are extra thin but have clusters of hammer marks in random areas to "trash" them up a bit. All you can find for sale now are the 16/17/18" crashes but there was a 19" at one point in time and that thing sounds amazing.

Here's a prototype 19" Cluster Crash from 2015 but it seems to be assigned to the K Custom series not the K series (at least by Forks)

Now that the Sweet K Crashes have appeared with unlathed bells and without the trash from cluster hammering, these Cluster Crashes seem more like the prototype experiments for the K Custom Special Dry series to me. Gerry has one that is specifically named a K Custom Special Dry prototype:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUNDFILE-RARE-THIN-ZILDJIAN-K-CUSTOM-PROTOTYPE-19-SPECIAL-DRY-Crash-1410-Gs-/282812036130?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

The Soundlab experiments seem to include different combinations of with/without cluster hammering, full lathing vs skim lathing vs pin lathing, bell lathed vs unlathed, as well as different target weight ranges for the different diameters. Lots of experimentation, and potentially lots of combinations which don't make it into production. This makes it hard to be sure just what model any particular prototype is for unless Zildjian looks up the batch number and lets you know.

I can just make out the irregular spaced cluster hammering on the 19" Cluster Crash in the Forks video. You can also see the irregular (not random sensu stricto although Zildjian may call it that) spaced hammering on the 19" K Custom Special Dry Crash Gerry has for sale. I'm not sure whether I'm seeing clusters in that 19" K Custom Special Dry Crash, or just irregular spacing. Usually cluster hammering is done with a much smaller peen size. I know there is cluster hammering on the K Custom Special Dry Rides, but I'm not sure about that 19" Gerry has.

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played a few crashes (either 16/18 or 17/19) at GC the other day (they were "secret" per the guy and they could not sell until the official rollout at NAMM.....ooohhhh, aaahhhh). I also played a 21 ride I think (or 20). They won't have a 22 or 24 ride.

Basically, he described them (correctly) as a type of fast crash. The bell is raw on the crashes only on the top, entire cymbal is lathed on the bottom. The ride is fully lathed up and down, which I thought was weird. He said the tried unlathing the top bell but it made it too dry.

To me, there weren't that "sweet" and pretty similar to the regular new K's, of which I am not a big fan.......of course, I am sure if you compare 10 of the same, you could find a nice one or few......

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I may try a 23 out when they're released compared to my 24 k light. I can always return it if I don't end up liking it.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
As far as the crashes, I can't tell from sound files on YouTube all that much difference from my K thin regular crashes. Maybe a tad less sustain? They look cool but don't think it's worth the switch for those.

On the 23" ride.... The weights on Memphis drum shop have them quite a bit lighter than the 24" K light rides. I was thinking about trying a 23 and sending it back if I didn't like it, but they seem from videos to be just as washy as my k light. I hear more clean and less trash sound, maybe a little more strong of a bell on the sweet.

Looking like I'll be keeping my k crashes and k light instead of swapping for these.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just ordered one. Looking forward to trying out. Really seems like it has the big 3: stick, bell and crash.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
douglasfir said:
Just ordered one. Looking forward to trying out. Really seems like it has the big 3: stick, bell and crash.
Let me know! I almost ordered one yesterday but couldn't do it just yet