Newbie here

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the forum. Been drumming for... over 40 years. Started out in my 10's in a marching band, did all the drums after being the kid holding the wooden rifle. Bought (or acquired) some junk set after playing on pillows and coffee cans at maybe 12 then a ridiculously huge Export set a year or two later, played in a high school garage band. Metallica, Dokken, stuff like that. Loudness (that Japanese hair band) lol.

Got married, had kids, college, houses, careers. Didn't stick with it when my friends did and moved on to some relative success. Then in my early 30's bought a kit, 5pc Export and a junk Mapex Mars 5pc kit which I wish I kept and hooked up with some guys around my age and played gigs, dive bars and strip joints, open stages. Got paid mostly free beer and sometimes a fiddy here and there, it was for fun and it was. I was basically a step above a stage hack maybe but I don't regret it.

So almost 20 years later I moved from the east coast out to the high west coast desert and with the zombie apocalypse going on and I have some spare money now figured I'd spend the "not going on vacation" summer getting back into it. I'm in a farm house sort of, neighbors are a hundred yards away so I'm not pissing them off. Family is tolerating it nicely too. Got a Roadshow to start out with and quickly outgrew that, still have it. Picked up a Decade (both 5pc but I got a 14 inch rack tom for the Decade but it's still in the box) and a few K's and for the last couple months I've been honing my chops.

I want to be better than an above average stage hack, I spend an hour or two a day on the kit usually and an hour or so later in the evening on a practice pad working my diddles. Coming along fine, working on shuffles now which don't come naturally with me and the Moeller method which I'm kinda starting to get maybe.

I would say I'm probably lower intermediate at this point, I can do a lot of things but the more I do the more I realize how much more I have to do. It's a long haul and I'm patient. And having fun.

Aside from that I'm an outdoorsy guy, guns, hunting, ATV's, camping. Family and career guy so time is kind of quirky with me. And I have chickens.

Sorry for the long intro, probably more than you care to hear.

Thanks for having me, I hope I can be a solid contributor.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question - how do I stop email notifications?

I've been on this forum platform before and I don't recall how I stopped them. Been in my profile like 4 or 5 times now and I'm still getting them. Too many vague options and I know it's something stupid.

Sorry for whining, thanks!

richardh253

Reaction score
To the forum. Been drumming for... over 40 years. Started out in my 10's in a marching band, did all the drums after being the kid holding the wooden rifle. Bought (or acquired) some junk set after playing on pillows and coffee cans at maybe 12 then a ridiculously huge Export set a year or two later, played in a high school garage band. Metallica, Dokken, stuff like that. Loudness (that Japanese hair band) lol.

Got married, had kids, college, houses, careers. Didn't stick with it when my friends did and moved on to some relative success. Then in my early 30's bought a kit, 5pc Export and a junk Mapex Mars 5pc kit which I wish I kept and hooked up with some guys around my age and played gigs, dive bars and strip joints, open stages. Got paid mostly free beer and sometimes a fiddy here and there, it was for fun and it was. I was basically a step above a stage hack maybe but I don't regret it.

So almost 20 years later I moved from the east coast out to the high west coast desert and with the zombie apocalypse going on and I have some spare money now figured I'd spend the "not going on vacation" summer getting back into it. I'm in a farm house sort of, neighbors are a hundred yards away so I'm not pissing them off. Family is tolerating it nicely too. Got a Roadshow to start out with and quickly outgrew that, still have it. Picked up a Decade (both 5pc but I got a 14 inch rack tom for the Decade but it's still in the box) and a few K's and for the last couple months I've been honing my chops.

I want to be better than an above average stage hack, I spend an hour or two a day on the kit usually and an hour or so later in the evening on a practice pad working my diddles. Coming along fine, working on shuffles now which don't come naturally with me and the Moeller method which I'm kinda starting to get maybe.

I would say I'm probably lower intermediate at this point, I can do a lot of things but the more I do the more I realize how much more I have to do. It's a long haul and I'm patient. And having fun.

Aside from that I'm an outdoorsy guy, guns, hunting, ATV's, camping. Family and career guy so time is kind of quirky with me. And I have chickens.

Sorry for the long intro, probably more than you care to hear.

Thanks for having me, I hope I can be a solid contributor.
Welcome to the board!

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Quick question - how do I stop email notifications?

I've been on this forum platform before and I don't recall how I stopped them. Been in my profile like 4 or 5 times now and I'm still getting them. Too many vague options and I know it's something stupid.

Sorry for whining, thanks!
Welcome! Go to your profile, go to preferences, untick emails (at least), go from there. For threads you're already getting emails about (like this one), you'll need to unwatch at the top of the page, then re-follow without emails (if you want).

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Only 40 years? We dont need any young hippies here!"

Kidding, glad to have you.
I never considered myself a hippie until the last few years when I started wearing dollar store sandals, tank tops and generally wander around with an adult beverage in hand.

I stopped for a minute and said "when did I go from redneck to hippie"?

:p

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
I never considered myself a hippie until the last few years when I started wearing dollar store sandals, tank tops and generally wander around with an adult beverage in hand.

I stopped for a minute and said "when did I go from redneck to hippie"?

:p
"That long hair dont hide that red neck, son!"